• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Associate
Thanks but I can only see a post about RTSS (Whats that?)
Rivatuner - it's a 3rd party app that does frame limiting, among other things. Worth a look at as very effective. In that post I compared with Chill and the borderlands 3 in-game limiter and got broadly similar results. I opted to use chill with 70-70 limits rather than RTSS as didnt want another app running alongside the AMD one which I use to OC.

Soldato
Rivatuner - it's a 3rd party app that does frame limiting, among other things. Worth a look at as very effective. In that post I compared with Chill and the borderlands 3 in-game limiter and got broadly similar results. I opted to use chill with 70-70 limits rather than RTSS as didnt want another app running alongside the AMD one which I use to OC.

Thanks I'll go back and read it properly.

I dont want another app installed either, do you exclusively just set 70/70 or do you ever set a minimum and do you know what the advantage of setting a minimum is? This is the part that confuses me the most so for example I'm playing two games at the moment -

Hunt Showdown, sits around 70FPS and can dip into the 50's at times why would Chill have a default of 70FPS minimum should I drop it right down to 50 and if so what will that do exactly in regards to this game? I really dont want any stuttering in this game at all so maybe its just best to avoid using Chill on this game seeing as though it never goes over 70FPS or would it better to set a 40/80 for example

Wolfenstein The New Colossus, I have to limit my FPS (its how I noticed FRTC was no longer working) its the opposite to Hunt Showdown so the minimum seems pointless here as the FPS is always at the peak of the monitors Freesync range so for this game it would be 140/140?

I hope I've explained properly I really dont like not being able to understand how it works! Thanks again

Associate
Thanks I'll go back and read it properly.

I dont want another app installed either, do you exclusively just set 70/70 or do you ever set a minimum and do you know what the advantage of setting a minimum is? This is the part that confuses me the most so for example I'm playing two games at the moment -

Hunt Showdown, sits around 70FPS and can dip into the 50's at times why would Chill have a default of 70FPS minimum should I drop it right down to 50 and if so what will that do exactly in regards to this game? I really dont want any stuttering in this game at all so maybe its just best to avoid using Chill on this game seeing as though it never goes over 70FPS or would it better to set a 40/80 for example

Wolfenstein The New Colossus, I have to limit my FPS (its how I noticed FRTC was no longer working) its the opposite to Hunt Showdown so the minimum seems pointless here as the FPS is always at the peak of the monitors Freesync range so for this game it would be 140/140?

I hope I've explained properly I really dont like not being able to understand how it works! Thanks again
There's another post I did on page 913 about 10 down which is probably more helpful for what you are trying to do. Basically when I set the Chill range to the same as my freesync range, 48-75, the average fps was 61. So that's quite a lot of lost performance but the payoff is a very significant saving in power and temp. It depends whether you want to optimise performance or power efficiency as to what range you use. Chill is not a frame limiter - it optimises power efficiency but boosts up performance based on mouse speed, although in my testing normal play movement was not enough to max it out. The only way to get it to behave like a limiter is to set the min and max at your target framerate and even then you should drop down a few fps since actual fps fluctuates and will occasionally go above your monitor max. I would only enable Chill in games where the framerate exceeds the monitor max. You could set globally and and I'm sure it would be ignored in games which fall below the limit with no detrimental impact but I prefer to set just for the games that need it. When fps exceeds the freesync range you will be at the mercy of whichever tech you have chosen to use - enhanced sync or vsync (or neither). I use enhanced sync in case of this. Equally important is keeping the minimum fps above the lower freesync range limit but Chill wont help you here - only reducing the game perf settings or resolution will do that.

Edit: This article may be of help: https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/radeon-software-enhancedsync

Caporegime
Nvidia's drivers are not perfect, they never have been, at least not for the 4 years i have been with them now, i had less driver issues with the 290 than i have with the 1070, in fact that 290 was rock solid, it never put a foot wrong in its entire life.

I've had to DDU Nvidia's driver twice in the last few moths due to odd behaviour and graphical issues, one of them is a couple pages back in the Nvidia drivers thread.

Having said all of that it looks to me AMD's issues are more significant and more frequent, i don't get random black screens and lock-up's.

Associate
Nvidia's drivers are not perfect, they never have been, at least not for the 4 years i have been with them now, i had less driver issues with the 290 than i have with the 1070, in fact that 290 was rock solid, it never put a foot wrong in its entire life.

I've had to DDU Nvidia's driver twice in the last few moths due to odd behaviour and graphical issues, one of them is a couple pages back in the Nvidia drivers thread.

Having said all of that it looks to me AMD's issues are more significant and more frequent, i don't get random black screens and lock-up's.

I have two navis and an RX 570. Zero issues. Both XT and the 570 are in 20 drivers. My 5700 is still using 19 driver.

But, if i pay a premium for a mid-range card and get that kind of garbage . . . i would feel duped.

This garbage.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...e-44219-game-ready-driver-feedback-thread-re/

Soldato
There's another post I did on page 913 about 10 down which is probably more helpful for what you are trying to do. Basically when I set the Chill range to the same as my freesync range, 48-75, the average fps was 61. So that's quite a lot of lost performance but the payoff is a very significant saving in power and temp. It depends whether you want to optimise performance or power efficiency as to what range you use. Chill is not a frame limiter - it optimises power efficiency but boosts up performance based on mouse speed, although in my testing normal play movement was not enough to max it out. The only way to get it to behave like a limiter is to set the min and max at your target framerate and even then you should drop down a few fps since actual fps fluctuates and will occasionally go above your monitor max. I would only enable Chill in games where the framerate exceeds the monitor max. You could set globally and and I'm sure it would be ignored in games which fall below the limit with no detrimental impact but I prefer to set just for the games that need it. When fps exceeds the freesync range you will be at the mercy of whichever tech you have chosen to use - enhanced sync or vsync (or neither). I use enhanced sync in case of this. Equally important is keeping the minimum fps above the lower freesync range limit but Chill wont help you here - only reducing the game perf settings or resolution will do that.

Edit: This article may be of help: https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/radeon-software-enhancedsync

Again I appreciate you taking the time to explain. I think I'm being thick though I just dont get it, to me I want the max performance I can get up to 140ish FPS but not over 144 and to stay in the Freesync range, this was really easy before, set an FPS limit and like you say tweak settings accordingly so it doesnt drop out of the Freesync range, simple and what I've been doing for as long as I can remember.

AMD have gone and removed the FPS limiter for what appears to be no reason what so ever, and stated Chill isnt a replacement. I'm completely baffled by it.

I think I need to set a Global setting of 140/140 in an effort to replicate FRTC and see what happens, if that fails then I have to mess around on every game I play trying to figure out the best Chill max/min. Really annoying as I spent ages tweaking my GPU, its 100% solid, hits just shy of 1700MHZ at respectable temps in game and I'm being forced to introduce another setting into the mix.

I hope they bring back FRTC in a future update

Caporegime
I have two navis and an RX 570. Zero issues. Both XT and the 570 are in 20 drivers. My 5700 is still using 19 driver.

But, if i pay a premium for a mid-range card and get that kind of garbage . . . i would feel duped.

This garbage.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...e-44219-game-ready-driver-feedback-thread-re/

FPS drops, Feels like texture streaming issues, like HDD access hanging. yes i have seen that it has been an issue for the past couple of months.
-------------------------

Something else worth saying about AMD drivers at the moment.

Right now AMD are enjoying a huge amount of kudos and good will with their Ryzen CPU's, they are selling in sick numbers, on the custom desktop scene about 8 in 10 Retail CPU's sold are Ryzen. There is so much buzz around them and some of that is carrying over to the GPU's, people are thinking "well the CPU's are really good so the GPU's must be too"
While the GPU's are quite good the drivers let them down.

From a business perspective AMD really have to do better, they are getting some R&D money again and doing great things with it, i have no doubt RDNA2 will be very good, but FFS AMD you have to get the whole package right, its no good having CPU's and GPU's people can get excited about if you're not getting the software nailed too, 2019 was their chance to prove themselves with CPU's, they have done that, if 2020 is to be about proving yourself in GPU's do whatever it takes to make the Drivers flawless, invest $300m in GPU driver development if that's what it takes you only get one chance to strike while the buzz around the AMD brand is red hot.

Associate
Again I appreciate you taking the time to explain. I think I'm being thick though I just dont get it, to me I want the max performance I can get up to 140ish FPS but not over 144 and to stay in the Freesync range, this was really easy before, set an FPS limit and like you say tweak settings accordingly so it doesnt drop out of the Freesync range, simple and what I've been doing for as long as I can remember.

AMD have gone and removed the FPS limiter for what appears to be no reason what so ever, and stated Chill isnt a replacement. I'm completely baffled by it.

I think I need to set a Global setting of 140/140 in an effort to replicate FRTC and see what happens, if that fails then I have to mess around on every game I play trying to figure out the best Chill max/min. Really annoying as I spent ages tweaking my GPU, its 100% solid, hits just shy of 1700MHZ at respectable temps in game and I'm being forced to introduce another setting into the mix.

I hope they bring back FRTC in a future update
Spot on. Try 140/140 Use the overlay and perf metrics built into the new driver with a game benchmark and write out to a file so you can analyse how many frames go above 144. If more than 1% I'd suggest dropping below 140/140 and retesting. The new metrics are one of the really useful features. No idea if FRTC will make a comeback - it's not on the list of features you can vote for so I suspect not

Soldato
Spot on. Try 140/140 Use the overlay and perf metrics built into the new driver with a game benchmark and write out to a file so you can analyse how many frames go above 144. If more than 1% I'd suggest dropping below 140/140 and retesting. The new metrics are one of the really useful features. No idea if FRTC will make a comeback - it's not on the list of features you can vote for so I suspect not

In your opinion, what is the replacement for FRTC in terms of what technology are you supposed to use to limit FPS?

I'm asking because maybe I've been obsessing over Chill and completely missed something else in all the other Bloat AMD has released recently in their drivers

Associate
In your opinion, what is the replacement for FRTC in terms of what technology are you supposed to use to limit FPS?

I'm asking because maybe I've been obsessing over Chill and completely missed something else in all the other Bloat AMD has released recently in their drivers
RTSS is a proper frame limiter and works very well. But in my testing Chill did the same job with 70/70 limits as RTSS did with a 70 cap. Hence I went with chill as 1 less program to launch at startup

Associate
FPS drops, Feels like texture streaming issues, like HDD access hanging. yes i have seen that it has been an issue for the past couple of months.
-------------------------

Something else worth saying about AMD drivers at the moment.

Right now AMD are enjoying a huge amount of kudos and good will with their Ryzen CPU's, they are selling in sick numbers, on the custom desktop scene about 8 in 10 Retail CPU's sold are Ryzen. There is so much buzz around them and some of that is carrying over to the GPU's, people are thinking "well the CPU's are really good so the GPU's must be too"
While the GPU's are quite good the drivers let them down.

From a business perspective AMD really have to do better, they are getting some R&D money again and doing great things with it, i have no doubt RDNA2 will be very good, but FFS AMD you have to get the whole package right, its no good having CPU's and GPU's people can get excited about if you're not getting the software nailed too, 2019 was their chance to prove themselves with CPU's, they have done that, if 2020 is to be about proving yourself in GPU's do whatever it takes to make the Drivers flawless, invest $300m in GPU driver development if that's what it takes you only get one chance to strike while the buzz around the AMD brand is red hot.

I think you missed the comments from some nvidia users getting blackscreens. My navis never experience any of that. One was an upgrade from a GTX 1060 and the other R9 290. I only used Windows uninstall tool. For the R9 290 upgrade to 5700, i just installed the new driver over the old. No DDU. Maybe the AIBs are the ones plagued by this issues cos mine are reference except the RX 570.

Caporegime
I think you missed the comments from some nvidia users getting blackscreens. My navis never experience any of that. One was an upgrade from a GTX 1060 and the other R9 290. I only used Windows uninstall tool. For the R9 290 upgrade to 5700, i just installed the new driver over the old. No DDU. Maybe the AIBs are the ones plagued by this issues cos mine are reference except the RX 570.

You're right i did..

lilwilly97
3d
Close
Today when I turned on my PC, the monitor wouldn't wake up, and I got displayport no signal (I was using displayport). I had to restart my computer to get it to work. GPU: RTX 2080TI. OS: Windows 10

That is the same issue.....

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I wouldn't bother. The comments tell you all you need to know and way more entertaining :D

OK so I read comments as the vid was unplayed above displaying the ghetto openbox build. Doesnt take any effort to calculate this is a waste of brain effort to conclude what you guys were saying lol. It just needs
I plugged in a GeForce and - it just works!!

Back
Top Bottom