1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The AMD Driver Thread

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by LtMatt, Dec 18, 2014.

1. EastCoastHandle

Hitman

That video was edit since I last looked at it. There was a lot of discussion of her problems while filming the video with the video card on her PC bench. I recall back then people were complaining about the issues they found wrong with her set up. I can only assume that she just edited that part out to show that she wasn't using the 430 watt PSU. Which makes her claims and video extremely suspicious and misleading.

This example makes it all too easy to conclude that this was a facetious claim on driver problems.

As for the Articles posted now where were they for in 5 months ago? This is as late as AMD fixing it. There is some sort of Consortium about these articles being published all at once which draws suspicion on it.

This isn't something that has happened a month ago we're talkin 5 + months ago. And most of these websites have forms and which these topics were discussed months and months ago. That was the time to bring up the issue.

2. Phixsator

Mobster

It's funny how this stuff works.. same when nvidia last got a bashing. Very few dares to say anything but the second a single or 2 techtubers have banded together to give a company a bashing the rest follows like flies on dog ****.

I personally don't understand the sudden huge negativity, its like its the popular thing to do right now. Sure RTG got stuff to fix and it should have happened yesterday but this is just crazy.

3. Th0nt

Soldato

Yeah but it doesnt help all the tech reviewers have either colluded together, or even sadder - copying each others material of making an issue that like you say was a thing some 5 months ago. What's poorer is the reviewers arent really experiencing major issues but their 'viewers' have reported issues. Then you just look at the quality of that video above regarding the technical caliber and put it all together.

4. Steampunk

Soldato

Jump on the train to get those page hits! Any Nvidia advertising/sponsorship probably helps too.

5. 5t3v0

Gangster

It couldn't possibly be a smear campaign started by the competition who having just announced impressive quarterly results are now eyeing to take the gloss away from AMD's Financial Analyst Day in 3 weeks time when the "nvidia killer" is expected to be announced? Nah, can't be that

6. hyperseven

Soldato

But did RTG contribute much to that?

:confused:eh, the driver issue has been a known problem for a while its in the release notes.

7. 5t3v0

Gangster

Exactly, so why is it suddenly big news now? Its suspicious

8. hyperseven

Soldato

As more cards are sold the more people with issues increases. Time to put that tin foil away :p

9. SkeeterUK

Capodecina

10. 5t3v0

Gangster

I know I sound like conspiracy theorist fanboy and yes your explanation is logical, but blaming nvidia is much more fun :D. They are up there with Apple and Intel afaiac

11. LoadsaMoney

Caporegime

Yeah should have brought all this out months ago, around the time the issues started, not gave them a good few months to fix the issues first, before doing it.

:p

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  12. Relentless81

Capodecina

If anyone's interested I tried out Chill tonight with a minimum of 60 and max of 140 and yeah, it didn't chill very much, playing Hunt my temps are always the same and with Chill on the temps were the same as they always have been

To be fair it usually averages around 70fps so you wouldn't expect any difference anyway with a minimum of 60 but it did introduce a negative, fans ramping up and down in the menu, touch the mouse and the FPS goes up and the fans follow, found that annoying tbh

I'll keep it like that for a bit and try some other games but it seems you would have to be happy with dropping it lower to get any real benefit from it which I'm not willing to do and I would imagine most other pc gamers aren't either. To me the minimum side of it seems a little pointless

13. 5t3v0

Gangster

Try those limits with a game that normally exceeds 144 fps. I'd be surprised if your average breaks 100 which kind of negates the point of a 144hz screen. Unless power is a big concern for you, set to 140-140 and forget about it

Edit: Do you undervolt and set a custom fan curve?

14. Relentless81

Capodecina

Yeah stuff it CBA messing around so I'll just set 140/140 and crack on

Cheers

15. Th0nt

Soldato

Chill is designed to save power and lower temps. It does seem to work in certain titles and maybe the game you target doesnt work with it. The hack method seems a shame as in theory you should toggle it on and that's it.

16. EastCoastHandle

Hitman

Wasn't it rumored that AMD will release their high end Navi cards in March? Well, there's the smoking gun. It's been rumored for a while that this Navi, Navi21, isn't Big Navi but will still beat the 2080ti. Now I found that a little hard to believe. But with all news of AMD driver issues being sold on the interwebs I'm starting believe that the rumor that this new card will beat 2080ti is true.

The last time Radeon had a product that beat Nvidia there were a huge push from, back then the Nvidia Focus Group, to forward the agenda of Radeon Drivers sucks. And the timing is exactly the same, just before we knew what the new Radeon GPU could do (back then ATI).

That's why the timing of this is the smoking gun. We know that AMD is releasing a new gpu soon. We also know that the driver issues being made public now is over 5 months old. The only conclusion, if you recall, is that this is a pre-emptive attack to weaken this new gpu that is set to beat the 2080ti.

Also, note that most of the article precursor themselves from being libel by saying "they aren't experiencing the issue themselves". That's should tell you something.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  17. 5t3v0

Gangster

Not sure it's a smoking gun but the motive is certainly there, timing kind of fits (although the killer card is only being announced next month, not released) and dirty tricks certainly isn't beyond nvidia. I love a conspiracy

18. EastCoastHandle

Hitman

We would have to wait and see.

However, meanwhile back at Nvidia they release driver 442.19 and the complaints are huge:
    -gpu overheating
    -flickering
    -games not launching
    -blurry text
    -CTD
    -artifacts
    -frame rate drops
    -etc
    https://youtu.be/BFX6m5Jahsk

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...e-44219-game-ready-driver-feedback-thread-re/

This is one the worst drivers Nvidia release in a while. Where are the articles on these issues?
    Do we see any articles about it to "bring it to light":
    GN
    A/TV
    Hardware Unbox
    The Good Ole Gamer
    NAF

??
    https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/ey8akk/game_ready_studio_driver_44219_faqdiscussion/
    Comments here are golden, LOL.

19. Th0nt

Soldato

The only bollokk AMD dropped since the 5 month driver fiasco was the hash of the 5600xt release where they panicked and tripped over the BIOS update to vendors before release. Obviously they had headroom to clock them further and nvidia called their bluff by reducing the 2060 prices.

With that said, all AMD need to do is produce a solid WHQL driver that has plugged the holes in the regular gaffs over the next month to close that door.

20. Th0nt

Soldato

Doesnt happen #nvidia #gods #itjustworks

/tin foil hat
    /dons leather jacket