• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Associate
Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.4.1 Highlights
Support For

• Resident Evil 3™
Fixed Issues
  • Overwatch™ and Heroes of the Storm™ may experience a black screen or application hang while gaming for extended periods of time on some Radeon RX Vega series graphics product system configurations.
  • HDR may fail to enable or be detected in applications and games using the Vulkan® API.
  • Doom Eternal™ may fail to launch in some hybrid graphics system configurations.
  • Radeon ReLive streaming may fail to launch or may crash when a stream session is started with performance metrics overlay enabled.
  • Some clock values may fail to populate for a limited number of graphics products in the Radeon Settings Hardware information tab.
  • Hotkeys can no longer be assigned to a single digit or character as this has the ability to block or cause interference with some default Windows® functionality.
  • Some Radeon FreeSync Premium supported displays may not list all supported refresh rate options in Windows® when Radeon FreeSync Premium is enabled in the displays OSD settings.
Known Issues
  • Enhanced Sync may cause a black screen to occur when enabled on some games and system configurations. Any users who may be experiencing issues with Enhanced Sync enabled should disable it as a temporary workaround.
  • Running Folding@Home while also running an application using hardware acceleration of video content can cause a system hang or black screen. A potential workaround is disabling hardware acceleration for the application that has it enabled.
  • Using Edge™ web browser to playback video content with a multi display system configuration may cause a system hang or crash after extended periods of use.
  • Performance Metrics Overlay and Radeon WattMan incorrectly report higher than expected idle clock speeds on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products. Performance and power consumption are not impacted by this incorrect reporting.
  • Modifying the HDMI Scaling slider may cause FPS to become locked to 30.
  • Some games may exhibit stutter intermittently during gameplay on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products.
  • Desktop or In-game corruption may occur intermittently when HDR is enabled.
  • Radeon RX Vega series graphics products may experience a system crash or TDR when playing games with Instant Replay enabled. A potential workaround for users experiencing these issues is to disable Instant Replay.
  • Radeon RX Vega series graphics products may experience a system crash or TDR when performing multiple task switches using Alt+Tab.
  • A system crash or hang may be experienced when using Edge browser to play Netflix™ content.
  • Some users may still experience black screen or system hang issues during extended periods of gameplay. AMD will continue to monitor and investigate reports of these issues closely.
  • Direct ML Media Filters are currently unavailable in Radeon Software Media gallery for video or image content.
  • XSplit™ may experience an application hang or freeze when performing a scene switch.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-4-1

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Known Issues
  • Enhanced Sync may cause a black screen to occur when enabled on some games and system configurations. Any users who may be experiencing issues with Enhanced Sync enabled should disable it as a temporary workaround.
  • Running Folding@Home while also running an application using hardware acceleration of video content can cause a system hang or black screen. A potential workaround is disabling hardware acceleration for the application that has it enabled.
  • Using Edge™ web browser to playback video content with a multi display system configuration may cause a system hang or crash after extended periods of use.
  • Performance Metrics Overlay and Radeon WattMan incorrectly report higher than expected idle clock speeds on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products. Performance and power consumption are not impacted by this incorrect reporting.
  • Some games may exhibit stutter intermittently during gameplay on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products.
  • Radeon RX Vega series graphics products may experience a system crash or TDR when playing games with Instant Replay enabled. A potential workaround for users experiencing these issues is to disable Instant Replay.
  • Radeon RX Vega series graphics products may experience a system crash or TDR when performing multiple task switches using Alt+Tab.
  • A system crash or hang may be experienced when using Edge browser to play Netflix™ content.
  • Some users may still experience black screen or system hang issues during extended periods of gameplay. AMD will continue to monitor and investigate reports of these issues closely.
  • Direct ML Media Filters are currently unavailable in Radeon Software Media gallery for video or image content.
  • XSplit™ may experience an application hang or freeze when performing a scene switch.
Some people here won’t admit to it, but I am happy AMD does and that they are looking to fix it :D

Soldato
What's the current "usable" version of these drivers? I've had no end of issues the last couple of weeks

First I was getting random freezes (as in the screen would go black and the whole pc would need a hard reset) when playing Pubg, path of exile, remote desktop connection (makes working from home difficult!!) can't remember which driver version I was on, but I updated to 20.3.1 which seemed to fix it... Until tonight I've been playing the division and it's been crashing every 5 minutes, tried 20.4.1 but same issue. I downgraded to 20.2.2, which allowed me to play, but I'm concerned I'm going to encounter further issues with that version elsewhere, kinda frustrating having to constantly try 2-3 driver versions for every game/application!

Soldato
What's the current "usable" version of these drivers? I've had no end of issues the last couple of weeks

First I was getting random freezes (as in the screen would go black and the whole pc would need a hard reset) when playing Pubg, path of exile, remote desktop connection (makes working from home difficult!!) can't remember which driver version I was on, but I updated to 20.3.1 which seemed to fix it... Until tonight I've been playing the division and it's been crashing every 5 minutes, tried 20.4.1 but same issue. I downgraded to 20.2.2, which allowed me to play, but I'm concerned I'm going to encounter further issues with that version elsewhere, kinda frustrating having to constantly try 2-3 driver versions for every game/application!

Try one of the last drivers released before the 2020 ones.

Associate

Sorry to butt in,

But I have the powercolor 5700XT twin fan card and I currently use the 20.2.2 with only a couple of issues rarely, the drivers before that, that was awesome and I still have ready to go are 19.12.1 I think anything past them are the Adrenaline 2020 interface.

Soldato
Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.4.1 Highlights
Support For

• Resident Evil 3™
Fixed Issues
  • Overwatch™ and Heroes of the Storm™ may experience a black screen or application hang while gaming for extended periods of time on some Radeon RX Vega series graphics product system configurations.
  • HDR may fail to enable or be detected in applications and games using the Vulkan® API.
  • Doom Eternal™ may fail to launch in some hybrid graphics system configurations.
  • Radeon ReLive streaming may fail to launch or may crash when a stream session is started with performance metrics overlay enabled.
  • Some clock values may fail to populate for a limited number of graphics products in the Radeon Settings Hardware information tab.
  • Hotkeys can no longer be assigned to a single digit or character as this has the ability to block or cause interference with some default Windows® functionality.
  • Some Radeon FreeSync Premium supported displays may not list all supported refresh rate options in Windows® when Radeon FreeSync Premium is enabled in the displays OSD settings.
Known Issues

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-4-1

Good to see they are admitting the issues and working on them.

Although it is a bit frightening to see how many times the you see the words hang,fail,crash,black screen in one list.

Soldato
Sorry to butt in,

But I have the powercolor 5700XT twin fan card and I currently use the 20.2.2 with only a couple of issues rarely, the drivers before that, that was awesome and I still have ready to go are 19.12.1 I think anything past them are the Adrenaline 2020 interface.

Np, that's the exact card I have, I was able to play The Hunter Cotw and Warzone tonight with no issues on the 20.2.2 drivers, fingers crossed it carries on behaving itself!

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Good to see they are admitting the issues and working on them.

Although it is a bit frightening to see how many times the you see the words hang,fail,crash,black screen in one list.

Lol, I thought the same. Seems like its related to power states where its going to idle would probably need a deeper fix like a BIOS update as there has been plenty of driver software changes.

Associate
Just got a msi 5700xt mech oc upgraded from red devil rx590. Running ryzen 5 3600 16gb pro vengeance ram on msi b450 tomahawk max board using hdmi on a tv. Never had a problem with the old card installed the 5700xt last night was running fine then installed latest drivers choosing to wipe old drivers on install pc did a restart now I have no signal. Cant even see the boot screen had the card in and out 3 times reset bios tried displayport to hdmi lead. All to no avail any advice please would be welcome.

Associate
Do you have it set to 'Recommended + Optional' ?
ah, just 'recommended' thanks, but confusingly I'm using 20.3.1 which is optional lol

But so far my driver experience isn't too bad, but I haven't had proper gaming session with the new card yet. So far:
  • the metrics overlay only lasts about 5 mins before disappearing and the whole Alt+R overlay just fails to load
  • No fan is too hidden away to enable, I sort of figured it out in the end by googling
  • there seems to be a stutter in The Witness, but I'm not sure if that's the game, just walking around the game will happily be 100-144fps and then skip 1 or more frames, then repeat around every 10 seconds

Associate
ah, just 'recommended' thanks, but confusingly I'm using 20.3.1 which is optional lol

But so far my driver experience isn't too bad, but I haven't had proper gaming session with the new card yet. So far:
  • the metrics overlay only lasts about 5 mins before disappearing and the whole Alt+R overlay just fails to load
  • No fan is too hidden away to enable, I sort of figured it out in the end by googling
  • there seems to be a stutter in The Witness, but I'm not sure if that's the game, just walking around the game will happily be 100-144fps and then skip 1 or more frames, then repeat around every 10 seconds

np. maybe you did that one manually last time?

Driver's not been great for me, Vega 64.

One grey screen lock up, one black screen lock up and a TDR reboot. :(
All while at desktop, watching twitch/youtube on one screen and browsing the web/discord channels on the other.

And in other news, their drivers still suck in OGL. Minecraft specifically.

Associate
Yeah new 5700 XT, used DDU and everything!

Well that sucks. I had heard issues people were having. Tbh if mine was that bad it would go back under 7 day (or whatever it is now) return. Hitman runs fine so far, about 2 hours in. Will be trying other games too to check no issues.

I can recommend remove with DDU and try again. Beyond that it's down to AMD to fix the issues.

Associate
Well don't think it is gpu. The cpu light on the mobo is on so I think the board might have died on me. Reseated the cpu no bent pins checked all power leads and they are ok. So I have emailed and asked to return the cpu and mobo under warrenty.

Soldato
Just got a msi 5700xt mech oc upgraded from red devil rx590. Running ryzen 5 3600 16gb pro vengeance ram on msi b450 tomahawk max board using hdmi on a tv. Never had a problem with the old card installed the 5700xt last night was running fine then installed latest drivers choosing to wipe old drivers on install pc did a restart now I have no signal. Cant even see the boot screen had the card in and out 3 times reset bios tried displayport to hdmi lead. All to no avail any advice please would be welcome.

It could be that the bios are now running in a resolution unsupported by your tv so your pc is no longer detecting HDMI. I have had this with a 280x before when hooked up to my panasonic st50.

I would try a different tv or monitor.

Also try without using the graphics card.

Back
Top Bottom