• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Associate
I have tried without the gpu and still wont post and cpu light still on. I have removed then replaced my pump fan header and now the light comes on then goes off then the vga light then the boot light so it looks like it runs self test and all lights go off and stay off. But still no image there is a signal from the hdmi because if I unplug it my switcher detects it has been removed and plugged in. Might wait till my displayport to vga turns up as I don't have a monitor to try it on.

Associate
This driver has been a disaster with BL3 on Vega 56 for me, giving repeat driver crashes back to desktop, sometimes in immediate succession. 20.3.1 wasn't much better either so dropping back to 20.2.2 in the hope for better stability. I seem to remember that was a reasonably stable version although none of the 2020 drivers have been great really. After nearly 4 months of this I am well and truly off the fence with AMD

Soldato
This driver has been a disaster with BL3 on Vega 56 for me, giving repeat driver crashes back to desktop, sometimes in immediate succession. 20.3.1 wasn't much better either so dropping back to 20.2.2 in the hope for better stability. I seem to remember that was a reasonably stable version although none of the 2020 drivers have been great really. After nearly 4 months of this I am well and truly off the fence with AMD

I think this is a borderlands issue, it started happening to me the other day on my gtx 1080 I crashed 3 times in about 1 hours but didn't happen again since I deleted and reoptimized the shaders.

Did you delete the appdata dx12 stuff before reloading the game?

Anytime you get a crash on borderlands you want to go into the hidden appdata file and delete the borderlands dx12 stuff then reload the game. It will take a couple of mins to boot next time while it redoes the shaders but should work fine after that.

Associate
I think this is a borderlands issue, it started happening to me the other day on my gtx 1080 I crashed 3 times in about 1 hours but didn't happen again since I deleted and reoptimized the shaders.

Did you delete the appdata dx12 stuff before reloading the game?

Anytime you get a crash on borderlands you want to go into the hidden appdata file and delete the borderlands dx12 stuff then reload the game. It will take a couple of mins to boot next time while it redoes the shaders but should work fine after that.
I have wondered this but my coop partner plays on a 1080 Ti and says he doesn't have any issues at all. Clearing the shader cache on each crash is a pretty grim workaround as this really elongates the startup time, even on nvme ssd. I might write a script to do it nightly along with my save game backup if it keeps happening. The new driver install has forced a re-caching so will see how it goes from now on. Thanks for the advice

Associate
No issues with BL3 and the new drivers here, done several stints of a few hours in that game since installing 20.4.1.
Good to know it can be stable, thanks. Will do an Epic verify and if that doesnt work I'll re-install the game. I dont think windows is the problem but who knows - it's been a year since it was installed now so maybe time for the full nuclear option

Soldato
I have wondered this but my coop partner plays on a 1080 Ti and says he doesn't have any issues at all. Clearing the shader cache on each crash is a pretty grim workaround as this really elongates the startup time, even on nvme ssd. I might write a script to do it nightly along with my save game backup if it keeps happening. The new driver install has forced a re-caching so will see how it goes from now on. Thanks for the advice

I have played around 150 hours and only had to do this once.

I have seen people delete and reinstall the game to fix crashing. So deleting the shader cache is much quicker option.

Personally I don't have any issues either on my gtx 1080 just pointing out that if your dx12 shader are crashing the game it wont go away until you delete the file.

You shouldn't have to do it very often, hopefully it should stop crashing after you do it the first time.

Associate
I have played around 150 hours and only had to do this once.

I have seen people delete and reinstall the game to fix crashing. So deleting the shader cache is much quicker option.

Personally I don't have any issues either on my gtx 1080 just pointing out that if your dx12 shader are crashing the game it wont go away until you delete the file.

You shouldn't have to do it very often, hopefully it should stop crashing after you do it the first time.
I think you've hit the nail on the head there. I lost borderlands completely last night after another driver crash, this time on 20.2.2 which was stable(ish) previously. The game started hanging on the optimizing shaders screen every start up so I have re-stalled the game, reinstalled the 20.4.1 driver and cleared the appdata shader cache and now it's running very nicely, although still too early to tell if fully fixed. My coop friend is playing on DX11 and never had issues which leads me to think that there are still DX12 problems with Borderlands rather than this being a driver issue. I havent played Division 2 (also DX12) much on the 2020 drivers but I certainly dont recall the level of pain I've had with BL3. Really hoping this crashing is sorted now and that I can stop eyeing up RTX cards :p

Associate
DX12 is still in Beta for BL3 but I've not had any issues using that API since launch, no matter which driver version I've used. :D
Ignoring performance variances between drivers, of course. :p
Yeah it's been the longest beta ever. Poor for a game that is meant to be optimised for AMD. I've been using DX12 since the outset and not had stability issues initially with 2020 drivers, just the 8% drop in performance. I find it hard to believe the more recent driver versions have got less compatible, although its possible of course. It could simply be that the cache or some binaries got corrupted. Who knows? Just highlights the vagaries of PC gaming and the challenge both AMD and nvidia must face with writing and supporting drivers

Associate
Now that I've kinda finished testing temps and not using the Radeon software metric overlay, the issues I had with that overlay stopping and me having to alt+tab back into Shadow of the Tomb Raider have gone away. I sometimes get a crash to desktop with 0x887A0006: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error but I believe that might be a game bug and effects nVidia as much as AMD. Actually had crash free session last night. I've still got GPUZ monitoring temps back at the desktop, just missing the nice overlay.

Associate
Hi guys, I'm not sure if I'm going crazy or not but no matter which game I try, the changes to settings in AMD Software don't actually do anything.

I've tried adding AA to Dark Souls 3 and GTA IV and nothing actually changes.

Am I missing an "apply" button or something? Or do the drivers not work? I'm using 20.2.2 on my 5700 XT

Thank you

Soldato
Does anyone know how to get the Radeaon software not being in fullscreen mode ? Even if clicking it out of fullscreen it still covering the full screen and can't be resized, or moved for that matter, which is silly since there is no need for it to cover the whole screen. (Can move it with ALT+R to another monitor but the problem still persists that it can't be resized and moved freely as any other software.)

Anyone have any ideas ?? :confused:

Edit. Well, I just tried opening it from windows start menu and then I got it in a window, which I can move and resize. Very strange but guess if that works then it's better then nothing.. strange behaviour though...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom