• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Associate
And another black screen after the driver update 20.12.1 and removal on Vega, no idea wtf is going on with them lately. Been fine until the 6000 driver releases. Clearly something going off somewhere with PCI device installs causing this wish they would post something about it... Anyone else on Vega also on x570 noticing this? Used ddu from safe mode in the end after a restore and then reinstalled which seemed fine. Using. The amd built in factory restore option doesn't help. Ddu out of safe mode also caused a black screen. All black screens had to be hard reset.

Associate
Running 20.12.1 on a Vega 56 without issue (unless Cyberpunk 2077 kicking the cacka out of the card at 1440p is an issue lol).
i think something else is going on with x570 drivers/gpu driver at the same time causing these issues for me, not 100% sure and it seems odd that it only started with the 6000 series release but thanks for the feedback, atleast it isn't a wide spread issue by sounds of it. :)

Associate
i think something else is going on with x570 drivers/gpu driver at the same time causing these issues for me, not 100% sure and it seems odd that it only started with the 6000 series release but thanks for the feedback, atleast it isn't a wide spread issue by sounds of it. :)

No problem. Hopefully they manage to sort things out with the next big update!

Associate
aye, btw i feel your pain with Vega in cyberpunk. although i was surprised it held up the way it has!! :)

The surprising thing is that, despite the engine being so punishing, the framerate (while lower than I'd usually want to play at) is quite stable resulting in a relatively smooth experience.
It also helps that the framerate is knocking about in Freesync territory and LFC must kick in when it drops a little below that.

Associate
The surprising thing is that, despite the engine being so punishing, the framerate (while lower than I'd usually want to play at) is quite stable resulting in a relatively smooth experience.
It also helps that the framerate is knocking about in Freesync territory and LFC must kick in when it drops a little below that.

yea i agree. with high settings and all medium shadows and without the fps counter i cant say i notice that its lower than id want to play also. sync tech ftw and i guess it will only get better over the years.

Associate
Can confirm the 12.1 are in fact WHQL, and seem stable for Vega.

The driver will now fully reset to default after a crash, rather than the balanced tuning profile. It's possible a full system restart may now no longer be necessary after a crash, but haven't confirmed that yet.

No ReLive. Relive now only works after disabling HDCP.

Time to move on from the 20.8.3 WHQL.

anyone else noticed that if you set a custom fan profile and apply it, it will reset on a reboot?
vega 56.

Changing the default fan profile is a no go on reference Vega, so can't help there.

Last edited:
Associate
Can confirm the 12.1 are in fact WHQL, and seem stable for Vega.

The driver will now fully reset to default after a crash, rather than the balanced tuning profile. It's possible a full system restart may now no longer be necessary after a crash, but haven't confirmed that yet.

No ReLive.

Time to move on from the 20.8.3 WHQL.

Changing the default fan profile is a no go on reference Vega, so can't help there.
the driver itself seems stable on vega for me apart from the fan profile reset which was fine in older versions.

Associate
It's possible a full system restart may now no longer be necessary after a crash, but haven't confirmed that yet.

Can also confirm this now.

If restoring a manual tuning profile with Fast Start Up enabled, remember to allow the monitor to briefly go into sleep mode to force the graphics driver to load correctly into the OS Kernel.

It took a whole year, but functionality has now been fully restored.

:)

Soldato
I’m suffering from a lot of instability with my 6800. Anyone else? Games keep crashing to desktop. Like they hitch, get stuck then crash to desktop. Could happen five minutes in to a game, or an hour.

GPU temps are around mid 60’s so it’s not like it’s overheating.

Back
Top Bottom