• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD R9 290 (non x) Thread

photo.jpg

Excuse the lack of case, it's on it's way.

I'm yet to hear the fan ramp up at all.

I'll post some pics and my thoughts on it tomorrow, just installed it.

A strange thing happened though, after installation, my CPU seemed to think it had been changed and set itself back to stock clocks which I had to set back (i5 4670k @4.4ghz)

Not had this happen before, might have knocked the heat sink when installing the card but not sure it would have caused that, any ideas?

Give it some action and report your max temps, fan speeds and if you had any throttling please. :)

I'll do some tomorrow - for now I can report that the ST45SF CANNOT handle this card in Furmark. It just turns off as soon as you start rendering. :D

Had a bash on FIFA 14 and it does ramp up and get audible, but it's not irritating - more like the sound of massive airflow rather than a distracting spinning fan.

Intresting read over at extremetech AMD’s Radeon R9 290 has a problem, but Nvidia’s smear attack is heavy-handed

The article also comments on fan speed settings...
Maximum fan speeds below 50% will not maintain review frame rates. This appears to be true for both the R9 290 and R9 290X. AMD may have thought they could still deliver superior performance overall by designing a card that would burst and then idle at a lower frequency. It works with the 290X because that GPU sets an Uber fan profile of 55%. The 290′s default 47% is close — but not quite high enough. If you want full performance out of one of these cards, you’re going to have to push the fan speed higher than 47%.

Our tests indicate that 50% should do it for the R9 290. A new driver should be available today <edit:7th Nov?> that helps with the problem across both retail cards and AMD’s own reference designs.

@50% fan even my 7950PCS+ is overheated and throttles (or crashes) at 100% use. And burns almost half the power than a 290X.

That is why there is the "AUTO" mode, to let it go to 100% fan speed before starts throttling at 70C. (which never happens with the PCS+ cooler to exceed 80% fan and 50C under full load).

Hard setting to 50% fan such cards, asks for trouble

What is the power requirement on a pair of 290s? I have a good quality Corsair AX860, which I'm told will handle a pair of 780s, but the 290s are a bit hungrier. (I've an oc'd i5-2500k too)

Still can't decide whether to return my Phantom and wait for the non-ref 290s to be released :)

What is the power requirement on a pair of 290s? I have a good quality Corsair AX860, which I'm told will handle a pair of 780s, but the 290s are a bit hungrier. (I've an oc'd i5-2500k too)

Still can't decide whether to return my Phantom and wait for the non-ref 290s to be released :)

That's plenty. A single card will draw 200-250W depending on load, but two aren't going to be maxed out normally, and there'd still be plenty of power left in the PSU.

I'll post some pics and my thoughts on it tomorrow, just installed it.

A strange thing happened though, after installation, my CPU seemed to think it had been changed and set itself back to stock clocks which I had to set back (i5 4670k @4.4ghz)

Not had this happen before, might have knocked the heat sink when installing the card but not sure it would have caused that, any ideas?

My board does a single reboot when powered on after a graphics card change. It's possible your board detected this as a failed overcclock.

@50% fan even my 7950PCS+ is overheated and throttles (or crashes) at 100% use. And burns almost half the power than a 290X.

That is why there is the "AUTO" mode, to let it go to 100% fan speed before starts throttling at 70C. (which never happens with the PCS+ cooler to exceed 80% fan and 50C under full load).

Hard setting to 50% fan such cards, asks for trouble

I agree... but 100% fan speed is relative to what the supplier sets as the MAX for that hardware. Out the box we expect hardware to perform at it's maximum under load. By default the AMD driver settings for the 290 are set to run MAX fan speed of 47%. At this speed the card throttles under load which is part of the problem.

Back
Top Bottom