• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD R9 290 (non x) Thread

Surely you would be better off selling the 2 7950's and getting a single 290x or 780.

Not really because the 7950's are averaging 120fps in BF4 at 1200x1920 full ultra which is much faster than a 290x or 780ti.

I was thinking with an "eye" for eyeinfinity to use 3x7950's which is precisely my brothers configuration (hes got a 3930k though) so was thinking of maybe an extra 280x or 7950.

A 290x can only produce circa 40fps in 4k so at 6k it might only produce 30fps in BF4 using custom ultra 4xmsaa. So it would need to be 2x290's/X's to hit fps mins of 60 IMO.

Well last night I removed the stock cooler from the gigabyte model and fitted my waterblock it was very easy but wanted to say whats with the amount of thermal paste they use I could have done 5 gpus with the amount I had to remove anyhow thats my rant ;)

Should get the new pc up and running on saturday so I shall do some benchmarks and see how the temps look and how much more I get out of it if anything

Not really because the 7950's are averaging 120fps in BF4 at 1200x1920 full ultra which is much faster than a 290x or 780ti.

I was thinking with an "eye" for eyeinfinity to use 3x7950's which is precisely my brothers configuration (hes got a 3930k though) so was thinking of maybe an extra 280x or 7950.

A 290x can only produce circa 40fps in 4k so at 6k it might only produce 30fps in BF4 using custom ultra 4xmsaa. So it would need to be 2x290's/X's to hit fps mins of 60 IMO.

Faster yes.
still I am of such I rather buy more recent tech as if you have cards an upgrade wont cost as much in between.
2x7950 are superb though no doubt.
a 290x OC hit similiar numbers as a 7950x2 setup.
wouldnt be suprised to see the 290 do so to.

a 290x OC hit similiar numbers as a 7950x2 setup.
wouldnt be suprised to see the 290 do so to.

I think what i've seen so far put the 290x at 10-15% faster than an overclocked 7950 running at 1200Mhz. So 2x7950's especially when overclocked are still a force to be reckoned with easily beating a 780ti.

I would love 2x290's but I've got to replace my 3750k first with a 3770k and my missus is watching me like a Hawk so can't splurge out financially :mad:

I think what i've seen so far put the 290x at 10-15% faster than an overclocked 7950 running at 1200Mhz. So 2x7950's especially when overclocked are still a force to be reckoned with easily beating a 780ti.

I would love 2x290's but I've got to replace my 3750k first with a 3770k and my missus is watching me like a Hawk so can't spurlge our financially :mad:

well the 3750k is good not sure why you would update it unless you do videoencoding work. I use a 4670k and works just fine without HT.

well the 3750k is good not sure why you would update it unless you do videoencoding work. I use a 4670k and works just fine without HT.

BATTLEFIELD 4

BF4 is totally multithreaded and hits a four core cpu usage like a slegde hammer, so what i find with vsyn off, is it hits 99-100% cpu usage when the action heats up. (Using 2 gpu's) Even at 4.6Ghz which runs at 103oC and throttles the cpu cant keep up...really annoying as I hate giving intel money.

In contrast other people (setter and jono) are using 3770k's and 4770k's only use circa 75% cpu utilisation.

In highly threaded games i.e. BF4 modern I7's look like they have a 20-25% cpu ultilisation advantage.

Others on here will confirm this too I would imagine...

Last edited:
Due to the aggressive fan profile no, third party designs should keep it cooler and quiter so if you can waitor can fit one yourself it will be worth it.

I ran firestrike at auto fan and my card throttled, it needs to be audible to avoid throttling.

Honestly, I run a miniITX system with the case on the desk next to me. If the card was noisy it'd get DSR'd for a 280X/GTX770 in an instant. In fact I was braced for it.

But it's just... not really noisy at all?

It partly worries me as I feel I'm missing something and I'm going to get an awful shock outside of the DSR timeframe.

I wouldn't mind getting two of these. People here keep assuring us that they're not loud, but then I see things like this :confused:
59508.png

Who to believe?

Believe the people here that own the cards. If you keep it at 55% or lower its fine and no louder than your typical graphics card. This is normally good for an overclock of 10-15% on the core and as much on the memory as your card can take. This is what 290X users have been saying in the owners thread. I can also confirm that 55% on a reference 7970 was fine. 60% or higher and it gets damn loud though!

Is it wrong as well that I actually think the stock cooling on the 290 and 290X is really smart looking? There's something about a huge black and red cooler that just looks good.

Then again I also like the Titan/780 stock cooler for it's metallic feel and look.

I may need treatment. :D

The noise levels in that graph are apparently at 47%.
I've had 480s and they were awfully loud, so seeing that the 290 is 2.5db louder is just a bit scary :p

I'll decide once I get my 780Ti from EVGA step-up :)

Back
Top Bottom