• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD R9 290 (non x) Thread

Soldato
I posted this in another thread, but perhaps this is the correct place for it.

I've got 2 x 290s, and very often when I boot up the PC crossfire won't work. I get like 7FPS in the BF4 menu, but if I run the game in Window mode it runs on one card just fine.

A reboot always solves the problem, but is this common? If so, how can I fix it? I didn't find much on Google when I looked.

For what it's worth, disabling ULPS makes no difference.

Soldato
Sometimes with the memory overclocked to 1450 - 1500 on my 290 flashed to x, i get screen flickering but it only tends to happen on my 2nd monitor (connected via dp adapter). Is this because the overclock is too high, it needs more voltage or something else?

Associate
Hi guys,

Can u help with this? I posted in the wrong thread.

Just got a MSI R290 and I'm getting these black screen issues.

I have tried latest beta drivers (9.5) and other previous drivers and still no joy....i thought this had been fixed?

Are any of you still getting issues? I only bought the card a couple days ago so I can easily return it if needs be.

Thanks

EDIT: Can run benches fine, just seems to be BF4. Totally STOCK clocks.

Soldato
Hi guys,

Can u help with this? I posted in the wrong thread.

Just got a MSI R290 and I'm getting these black screen issues.

I have tried latest beta drivers (9.5) and other previous drivers and still no joy....i thought this had been fixed?

Are any of you still getting issues? I only bought the card a couple days ago so I can easily return it if needs be.

Thanks

EDIT: Can run benches fine, just seems to be BF4. Totally STOCK clocks.
Try other games and see if the problem occur as well. So far everytime I see people saying "blackscreen at stock" it's ALWAYS BF4...it makes me wonder if BF4 is just stressing the memory in a way that even the memory clock at stock clock is not stable enough for it. You could always experiment by underclocking the memory clock to see if it will stop the blackscreen in BF4.

Associate
Seeing as I have one of these now, need to sell my replacement. What would you say should I expect for a used Sapphire 6950 2gb fully working with all original accessories, apart from HDMI cable? Just seeing how much of the cost my old card will offset. :)

Associate
With official Asus bios and voltage at max 1.410v on gpu tweak my Asus 290 non X drops to 1.289v
Hitman Absolution quality ultra msaa 4x at 5760x1080.
Just for test.

Associate
Can anyone recommend a cooler for my card? My Bitfenix Shinobi doesn't have good airflow, my card starts to throttle very quickly.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey guys, recently bought two R290's after selling my HD7990 (miners, lol), however when I went to connect a VGA monitor to one of them I found that both the DVI ports are DVI-D so cannot output analogue. Is it possible to us an active Displayport to SL DVI then a DVI-VGA adapter or is the no way to connect this card to a VGA D-SUB port?

Thanks.

Soldato
Hey guys, recently bought two R290's after selling my HD7990 (miners, lol), however when I went to connect a VGA monitor to one of them I found that both the DVI ports are DVI-D so cannot output analogue. Is it possible to us an active Displayport to SL DVI then a DVI-VGA adapter or is the no way to connect this card to a VGA D-SUB port?

Thanks.

I use a Display Port (full size) to vga adapter for my 2nd monitor.

Soldato
I posted this in another thread, but perhaps this is the correct place for it.

I've got 2 x 290s, and very often when I boot up the PC crossfire won't work. I get like 7FPS in the BF4 menu, but if I run the game in Window mode it runs on one card just fine.

A reboot always solves the problem, but is this common? If so, how can I fix it? I didn't find much on Google when I looked.

For what it's worth, disabling ULPS makes no difference.

Bumping this post, as the problem still persists after installing the 13.12 drivers.

Does anyone else experience this? I really am at a loss how to fix it :(

Soldato
Can someone tell me the best fan profile to use with these?

I just reinstalled windows to try and get everything working but I forgot the fan profile I used lol.

I remember someone showed me before but cant find the post.

Soldato
Just tried that, its quite loud.

Hmm, anyone got any other profiles?

I have 2 power color 290s.

Ill try and fiddle around with what you suggested though shank and see if i can get something a little quieter lol.

Soldato
Just tried that, its quite loud.

Hmm, anyone got any other profiles?

I have 2 power color 290s.

Ill try and fiddle around with what you suggested though shank and see if i can get something a little quieter lol.

Yeah my msi are very quite even on 100% what you want is a fine balance between noise and temps you not going to drops temps a lot by having slow fan speeds.

Back
Top Bottom