• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD R9 290 (non x) Thread

Soldato
Epdia is the one people don't want :p

Running at stock, I have no problems with it.
I can't run it sustained much higher or it'll black screen.
Yea...I can't helpt but feel that anyone that get blackscreen (overclocking or not) are with crappy Elpida instead of Hynix (I got Elpida as well and it would random black screen if overlocking the memory clock...).

Soldato
Elpida here on my unlocked 290, only had one black screen when overclocking the memory at about 1500 but no problems at stock, odd thing was it crashed on the desktop but ran heaven fine

Soldato
What happens with the blank screen, just literally turns black and pc crashes?
It's black screen hard crash (ctrl+alt+del don't work, need to force reboot). I only had it when overclocking memory clock, but not at stock.

The weird thing is it could be perfectly stable looping Heaven for an hour, but after rebooting PC, it would crash as soon as enter desktop (as soon as MSI Afterburner load up and apply the overclock to be more exact...that's why I disable the apply overclock on startup option on the MSI Afterburner now).

Soldato
I'm not convinced that the blackscreen crashes are solely down to elpida memory, when I first got my card I could run it at 1625, with every new driver this has been reduced.

I only get blackscreens on bf4, I've played hours of crysis 3 @ 1150/1500 and not had one blackscreen, yet with bf4 I'm forced to run it at damn near stock for fear of getting a blackscreen.

I'm really hoping it's fixed with a later driver.

Soldato
I'm running MSI 290s flashed with stock Asus 290 bios and can't get voltage slider in GPU Tweak. I've tried advanced mode and "extend overclocking range" in options. Thoughts?

Afterburner works fine.

Soldato
I'm running MSI 290s flashed with stock Asus 290 bios and can't get voltage slider in GPU Tweak. I've tried advanced mode and "extend overclocking range" in options. Thoughts?

Afterburner works fine.

advance mode
settings - tune- display should be a where you enable voltage.

Associate
My*asus*r9 290 will not display the bios properly on my asus sabertooth z77 motherboad anybody know why

But when we remove the card and use onboard graphics rhe bios displays correctl

Soldato
My*asus*r9 290 will not display the bios properly on my asus sabertooth z77 motherboad anybody know why

But when we remove the card and use onboard graphics rhe bios displays correctl

Bit of a stab in the dark here but in windows does it recognize the correct drivers for the card?

When installing a 290 the other day, it would recognize that i had a 290 card in and it would function fine in OS but it ran from a windows display driver rather than the one i installed. I went to Device manager and manually pointed it to where its driver folder was and everything was fixed. I have not had this issues when dealing with further 290 pro's but on my fresh install of windows got it again with my own 290x. The fix was the same.

Can you view the bios at all with the card?

Associate
Pretty much impossible with the card, once we take card out and use intergrated graphics its perfect

Its just when we use the 290 that the bios is choppy all we see is the clock and cursor but once we move the cursor more areas of the bios appear

Soldato
@Orangey,

b3726cc3f9560d1403fc424f21cf5735.jpg

Back
Top Bottom