• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD R9 290 (non x) Thread

Caporegime
+100mV (1.35mV) should be fine fine, but the stock cooler won't be able to keep temp at below 85C unless you were using 70%+ fanspeed, which would be too loud for almost everyone (unless they use headset).

I run +100mv into mine at 1150MHZ, and my God, when they were playing Batman Arkham Origins last night, it was certainly kicking out the heat and getting loud.

My fan profile kept it at 93c maximum, and even that was too loud.

Memory doesn't really clock well so needs to be left at 1250MHZ, which really is a shame.

Soldato
I run +100mv into mine at 1150MHZ, and my God, when they were playing Batman Arkham Origins last night, it was certainly kicking out the heat and getting loud.

My fan profile kept it at 93c maximum, and even that was too loud.

Memory doesn't really clock well so needs to be left at 1250MHZ, which really is a shame.
IMO you should just use +30-+50mV and overclock the core clock to just 1100MHz. At this setting, I could keep temp reasonably lower and the noise is still bearable. Here's the fanspeed profile I used on the stock cooler when looping in Heaven:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=25380555&postcount=21

Soldato
I've finally got my 2x HIS 290's flashed to 290x's installed. Running custom water. What sort of clocks do you think I can expect from them? I also have voltage control turned on in afterburner but it doesn't display a voltage nor is there a slider. Is that because I'm locked by the bios?

Soldato
IMO you should just use +30-+50mV and overclock the core clock to just 1100MHz. At this setting, I could keep temp reasonably lower and the noise is still bearable. Here's the fanspeed profile I used on the stock cooler when looping in Heaven:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=25380555&postcount=21

What did you raise the Power Limit by for 1100MHz? I followed the Tom's Hardware article and set +20%, but didn't over volt or increase the Mem clock.

As I have an Accelero Xtreme 3 fitted, temps shouldn't be a problem.

Soldato
What did you raise the Power Limit by for 1100MHz? I followed the Tom's Hardware article and set +20%, but didn't over volt or increase the Mem clock.

As I have an Accelero Xtreme 3 fitted, temps shouldn't be a problem.
I just leave it on +50%. May be I don't need it that high, but I just use +50% anyway as it would be one less thing to worry about.

Also, I'm using the Gelid Icy Vision Rev2 cooler...GPU temp is not an issue at all with it hitting only around 75C max even when overclocked the core to 1200Mhz on 1.412v, but the vrm1 temp was hitting 127C :eek:

Increasing the voltage clearly has huge impact on the temp of vrm1, as on stock clock, the vrm1 temp is only around 73C max. I got aplenfoehn sinks but haven't installed it yet...hoping the vrm sink would do a much better job the the one that comes with the Gelid.

Soldato
Full cover blocks seem to pay off when going for large clocks. I put mine on and whacked powerlimit straight to 50%, core voltage to 100mv and went about finding the rough limit on MSI AB almost straight away without worrying about temps.

Soldato
Thanks.

I'm starting to suspect that VRM1 is the only part of the 290 that the reference cooler design actually looked after properly.

VRM1 seems to always run hotter, no matter what aftermarket cooling it has. Can imagine the Asus matrix and direct CU versions which normally sport better chokes and such will be abused by overclockers with adequate watercooling.

Soldato
Full cover blocks seem to pay off when going for large clocks. I put mine on and whacked powerlimit straight to 50%, core voltage to 100mv and went about finding the rough limit on MSI AB almost straight away without worrying about temps.

Same, no probs with VRMs with EK block.

Back
Top Bottom