• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** The AMD RDNA 4 Rumour Mill ***

It shouldn't be difficult, 7900 XT bad, 7800 XT good. They have apparently changed their teams doing this so lets see.
Hope so.. would like to upgrade from the 3060Ti but as its doing a decent job still, I can wait and see how RDNA4 turns out. Be nice to see them under £500, I'd jump on that but history tells me its all hope until reality smacks us in the face again lol

At my age I think I have one more GPU upgrade and one more platform upgrade before retiring from gaming so they need to be worthwhile upgrades.. reaction times starting to slow down now Im in my mid 50's :D

On a side note.. I have been dual booting Windows 10 and 11 so I can see what 11 runs like, getting around 11 is taking some getting used to but I have noticed DayZ running much smoother than it does on 10 even though DayZ runs nice on 10, just feels a little more fluid, cant explain it, its a weird one. Maybe its because I dont have everything else installed on there yet lol

Hope so.. would like to upgrade from the 3060Ti but as its doing a decent job still, I can wait and see how RDNA4 turns out. Be nice to see them under £500, I'd jump on that but history tells me its all hope until reality smacks us in the face again lol

At my age I think I have one more GPU upgrade and one more platform upgrade before retiring from gaming so they need to be worthwhile upgrades.. reaction times starting to slow down now Im in my mid 50's :D

On a side note.. I have been dual booting Windows 10 and 11 so I can see what 11 runs like, getting around 11 is taking some getting used to but I have noticed DayZ running much smoother than it does on 10 even though DayZ runs nice on 10, just feels a little more fluid, cant explain it, its a weird one. Maybe its because I dont have everything else installed on there yet lol

Win 11 is a better OS than 10 these days tho i don't like the direction MS are heading with it, just have to be vigilant about that to mitigate it.

I'm 48, my gaming mate is 49, sometime we go back to FPS games we were playing a decade ago and end up telling ourselves the game has gotten a lot harder, somehow... like a couple of old gamers in denial. I don't want to retire....

Anyway, i changed out my 2070 S for an RX 7800 XT, with some trepidation, i just didn't think £600 for a 4070 that didn't have a crap cooler, a lot of the cheaper ones do, i needn't have worried, been running it since February, its a really good card, great 1440P performance and rock solid.

Considering so many people don't care about RT or in probably a decent number of case know what it or DLSS actually is, I'm not sure that's the only reason AMD didn't gain a massive amount of market share this generation.

It was their joke pricing. The 7900 XT needed to be priced to counter the upcoming 4070Ti by $100, instead AMD priced so high that Nvidia could come in at $100 cheaper and look like a bargain with better features, better RT and 15% slower raster and less VRAM.

By the time the 7900 series prices dropped to what they should have been, Nvidia had already countered with the 4000 Super range in the mid tiers. The Super range was faster and cheaper then the earlier joke Nvidia prices.

Basically it was AMD got greedy and they shot themselves in the foot. There was a maybe 6 months window of opportunity for AMD to be easily the value and performance king in mid tier. They missed it as usual.

Last edited:
Relevant here since RDNA 4 based:

Remember this all from ps5 exclusive gameplay video provided to digital Foundry :-

The Last of Part 2 - 1440p internal resolution at 60fps in this PS5 Pro Mode (same as PS5 Performance Mode) with improved image quality due to PSSR

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart - Between 1440p and 1800p internal resolution (roughly the PS5 Quality Mode at 40fps) at 60fps in this PS5 Pro mode with the same settings as the PS5 Performance Mode and using PSSR to bring it up to 4K

Alan Wake 2 - Two modes shown (864p at 60fps & 1260p at 30fps) which is the same as the base PS5 modes and they presume it's using PSSR and not the FSR in base PS5. 60fps clip has SSR but the 30fps clip could have RT.

Horizon Forbidden West - resolution didn't look 4K. They presume it's not using PSSR but hard to tell. Thinking it is using 4K checkerboard but again hard to tell. PS5 vs PS5 Pro has the Pro with higher detail.
Harry potter hograts legacy : RT reflections looks better on the PS5 Pro but has some visual noise in the background. RT shadows might be mixed with SSR but look to be an improvement over base PS5. 30 fps in the footage but the presume it'll have 60fps modes as the base PS5 has it.

Gram Turismo 7 - RT reflections in game appear to be quarter resolution (1080p). 8k mode. Lower resolution (1188p) in the PS5 Pro footage and probably using PSSR to bring it up to 4K where the base game without RT reflections is a Native 4K. RT looks better than Forza Motorsport.

Dragon's Dogma 2 / Assassins Creed Shadows - DG2 looks to be running at 60fps and might be using PSSR. ACS looks to be running at 864p at 60fps

I've got upgrade itch..
I own RX 6900xt, would be worth it to upgrade to 7900 xtx?
Can we expect new rdna4 to be faster than 7900xtx?

Last edited:
I've got upgrade itch..
I own RX 6900xt, would be worth it to upgrade to 7900 xtx?
Purely from the perspective of performance, at 4K: yes, in terms of what the card is capable of.

At 1440p, not really. The 6900 XT is decently capable of that resolution and competes with cards that are marketed for that and available now in the £500 region.

Unlikely.

Back
Top Bottom