• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Vega 20 is also meant to be coming. Tbh that's the card this should have been. Said to have 6000 shader's.
but it needs to come out when it's relevant vega is basically 1 year late, and whilst some Amd users buy into the "we must stay with AMD" "nvidia monopoly would be bad."

I personally feel that buying an inferior product doesn't help the long term sustainability of the company, it simply feeds into the bad decision cycle that bought it about.

Vega was late
Vega is power hungy
Vega is under powered for said power hunger it matches a 1 year old card in 1080p performance not even driver updates will turn it into a 1080ti.

The price is going to have to be amazing to swing this imo. but that could really damage the other products in the line.

My crappy old air cooled card will do 33k.:p

I hear that but I am struggling to see what I need the extra performance for. The only reason I bought into an over-clocked 1080ti is for Elite Dangerous VR. If it was not for that single use case I would still be on a 980ti.

Other gamers will be wondering the same.

but it needs to come out when it's relevant vega is basically 1 year late, and whilst some Amd users buy into the "we must stay with AMD" "nvidia monopoly would be bad."

I personally feel that buying an inferior product doesn't help the long term sustainability of the company, it simply feeds into the bad decision cycle that bought it about.

Vega was late
Vega is power hungy
Vega is under powered for said power hunger it matches a 1 year old card in 1080p performance not even driver updates will turn it into a 1080ti.

The price is going to have to be amazing to swing this imo. but that could really damage the other products in the line.

I hear you on all of those points. Some like myself like to keep cards for a bit. I think one selling point for buying a Vega is the future looking aspects it has. For some this won't be enough to put up with what looks to be the most power hungry gpu to ever exist.

I hear that but I am struggling to see what I need the extra performance for. The only reason I bought into an over-clocked 1080ti is for Elite Dangerous VR. If it was not for that single use case I would still be on a 980ti.

Other gamers will be wondering the same.

If you enjoy gaming you can use almost any graphics card to do it.

With the fastest graphics cards you can max the settings but that has very little to do with quality of gameplay or how much enjoyment you get out of a game. Max settings just means it looks better which after 5 minutes counts for nothing.

Is it possible that AMD are doing what they've done before and simply not going for the fastest product? Just make RX as fast as the 1080, but charge a lot less, and ignore the halo/vanity product at the top end as something they don't want to compete with.

What is worrying me is that they basically told us the MSRP in $ of Vega, what we know :

The blind test systems had a 300$ difference
They said it was a 1080 in the other system
I don't think we know if the Vega was Air or Water
They showed the prices that they were going off of for the 2 moinitors at PDXLAN, 500$ for the FS and 950$ for the GS (So 450$ difference)
The 1080 msrp is 499$

so 950+500 (gtx 1080) = 1450
1450 - (500 (fs screen) + 300 (difference) ) = 650

But at the PDXLAN event that dude in the WCCFTECH video basically said the systems cost the same and the offset in price would be the 2 monitors, so that would be a 500$ msrp for the card that was at PDXLAN (same price as a 1080), now if the price difference was higher because vega was cheaper well they would have pointed that out I imagine, I mean it would make it sound better.

So I have deduced from that, that the Big RX Vega air will cost 500$ and the RX Vega water 650$ (maybe why they were talking about a 300$ difference at the first event). Maybe 50$ less (I've always thought that they would price big vega at 50$ less than the Fury X and Fury)

I don't think we need to do much guessing about the price at this point.

Last edited:
Probably going to need to wait on Navi for AMD to improve there power usage now unless Vega takes a big step forward somehow on the next shrink.
Wasn't the same said about Polaris? It was going to have a much better performance per watt. Then it was wait for Vega, now it's wait for Navi. AMD seem to be unable to significantly improve power usage at the moment.
If they don't sort it out I don't think they've got a hope of catching Nvidia.

Wasn't the same said about Polaris? It was going to have a much better performance per watt. Then it was wait for Vega, now it's wait for Navi. AMD seem to be unable to significantly improve power usage at the moment.
If they don't sort it out I don't think they've got a hope of catching Nvidia.

It's not a certainty but in reality it looks like the next chance. They have to address it some how. It will be interesting to see what AMD say if anything about Vega power draw.

I am still hoping they can sit in between 1080 and 1080ti, maybe 20% slower than a TI but £100 cheaper, than would sell really well.

If you look at the scores posted a 1630mhz vega can keep up with a 1900mhz 1080. The problem, as with ryzen, AMD just cant get the clock speeds without causing a power grid shutdown. If they could have boosted to 1900mhz I am very sure they would have got 1080TI performance. It 14nm process they are using is really hampering them.

Then need 10% faster than 1080 on launch with 10% from driver improvements would great. Lets hope so and with good competitive price.

Last edited:
The problem is last year it was "This time next year Rodney...."
Yeah I waited for Polaris and that disappointed. I waited for Vega and that's disappointed (on power draw alone I won't consider it).

Now waiting for Volta. I think the difference is nV won't disappoint with the product performance or efficiency, just the price :( 1170 for £450, anyone?

The problem is last year it was "This time next year Rodney...."

If you get sucked in by the PR hype then yes. Somewhere on this thread i did say that AMD busted their nuts with Ryzen so i didn't hold out mega hope for a high end GPU in the same year. I am the underdog type hence my PC rig but to be honest i think next year will be interesting. That is if they keep their focus and keep their PR guys under control this time.

tbh wtf do i know i just spent 1500 notes on Zipp wheels for my triathlon bike so meh haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom