• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
For R&D they need money which means they need strong sales in cpu side. Without it seems they won't be able to compete with Nvidia in high end

If you enjoy gaming you can use almost any graphics card to do it.

With the fastest graphics cards you can max the settings but that has very little to do with quality of gameplay or how much enjoyment you get out of a game. Max settings just means it looks better which after 5 minutes counts for nothing.

I do agree with you but with Elite VR its more about being able to use the game and seeing enough detail whilst providing enough fps to prevent you from blowing chunks on the floor of the man-cave. It is not necessarily about just running it with everything set to Ultra.

Elite VR is an interesting one as while it needs a 4k-like resolution to work (with oversample) you can actually drop the quality settings as you can't see the difference due to display grain. You also need 90fps with low-latency. It is a toxic combination, my 1080ti overclocked just about cuts it.

But like I say, it is an extreme edge case. If it was not for that a 1080 would be just fine and this is why I am increasingly sure that RX Vega is going to deliver a great experience for the vast majority of gamers.

I am also sure that the launch price of the top tier RX Vega will be enough to give sticker shock but it will come down, it always does with AMD products and even if you don't want an RX Vega, it will put pressure on Nvidia prices.

Well l wasn't expecting AMD to provide a 1080 killer with Vega but something to compete on price/performance to the 1070 and 1080. It does badly on efficiency though which was an area l thought AMD would work to improve. There was a twit from the Catalyst maker saying that a new version of Catalyst is coming out tomorrow so hopefully some of that magic driver help we have been expecting to increase performance before release.

VEGA driver stack fully unleashed? 30-50% performance gain over VEGA FE initial reviews ? VEGA RX on par with 1080 Ti ? if no ...
1f634.png
1f634.png
1f634.png

Lol this guy has been smoking some serious goods. Probably just more features but wouldn't be surprised if there are some half decent performance gains in there. I can't remember the last performance driver that was released.

As it's such a new platform there will almost certainly be some performance improvements but I doubt it will be on par with 1080ti. That said, if it can offer performance between 1080 and 1080ti at prices lower than the 1080 then it will be a decent purchase (unless you're willing to wait for volta...)

Its like get to the point already. Hope its something actually news worthy and not another disappointment.

There will be some gains to it, they will claim 10% and it will probably be around 5 to 7% in reality, and that is why they are releasing it on the 27th (exactly one month after the initial FE drivers) so they can say "hey look this is how much improvement we have been able to bring in just 1 month, the fine wine will become finer even quicker now because we are concentrating more than ever on our drivers !"

Tomorrow AMD will launch new 17.7.2 display driver which will introduce some changes.

Enhanced Sync
NVIDIA’s Fast Sync finally gets a competitor. With 17.7.2 driver AMD introduces an alternative to VSync called Enhanced Sync. I’m not going to explain how this works here, but what you need to know is that it will give you the advantages of VSync without the latency caused by synchronization with the display. No more tearing and no more lag.

Relive at 100 MB/s
Relive will now allow you to save the recordings at a higher bitrate. You will now be able to record at 100 Mb/s. The Relive in 17.7.2 driver will also allow you to add a webcam to the stream and boost the volume of the microphone from within the Radeon panel.

Radeon Chill now on laptops
Radeon Chill will now be enabled for mobile graphics cards, multi-GPU configurations and also external graphics cards. In case you don’t know what Radeon Chill is, it’s basically a frame limiting tool to lower power consumption and the heat.

Full changelog will be released tomorrow.

With vega, there is actually; less bandwidth so things might not scale that much better.
Seems an elaborate magic trick AMD must be pulling off at this point where they are going to pull a freight train out of a top hat and we'll discover how they do more with less and it'll all make sense. HBM2 will be greater in the next iteration, seemingly true of every other feature but hopefully not completely the case
Instead of raw bandwidth Vega must be about using what its got very smartly, if true thats possibly too subtle to tell pre release.
card is releasing next week, and we are still clueless about its specs. AMD, still playing these childish mental marketing games. Just show us the *%£!&$# card you idiots. So bored with it all now.

This thread described in one gif:

G7wRIFm.gif

4PxDFfB.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom