• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Vega FE can be used for AI work, it also has plenty of pro use cases where certification is not required. The certification is only really needed in big companies where the work being done can be considered mission critical etc.
It can be used for some AI work, namely deep learning due to the FP16 double-rate performance but the lack of FP64 is still an issue for general machine learning algorithms. For deep learning Vega has a lot of potential but the critical aspect is software support. Most of the DL tools out there don't even support OpenCL, they all support CUDA or at the very least CUDA is the main priority and gets the first features. The CUDA integration also achieves massive efficiency increases t that could largely mitigate the FP16 advnatge of Vega when compared to lower end Pascal units. The big players in DL are all happily using GP100 GPUS, or simply using Amazon AWS GPU instances. So there isn't a big market there. I do a little Deep learnign at work 9although msotly use alternatively ML archietcures), if we did a little more then we might very well buy a Vega GPU for development but using Amazon AWS works out fine for us.

The lack of certification basically means it is no better than any other gaming GPU though, so if you are really pn a budget then Vega makes no sense for professional work. And when we are talking about budget, pro software retails for 4-10K a time, so being able to afford a low-end Quadro is absolutely no problem and competes very well with Vega and nets you professional certification for $400-800.

tweet by ayymd ceo: Getting ready to ship @AMDRyzen #Threadripper... super excited! More details on @Radeon Vega and Threadripper at #SIGGRAPH2017.

can she be any more clear about the status of vega's paper launch?
more details, great. No actual release at Siggraph then, launch might be in another month and then availability a month later. Makes ense if Vega really did reqyuire a respin to fix some issues.

It has to beat a GTX1080FE by a reasonable amount though,or at least be around aftermarket GTX1080 level,otherwise I am not sure unless they pitch this under the price of a GTX1080,whether it will gain any traction as a card.

Edit!!

If you look at the Fury X,the TPU launch review shows the reference GTX980TI was upto 10% faster at qHD and 4K and that was not helped by the 4GB of VRAM for certain games I suspect.

If this can barely match a GTX1080,it will be relatively worse especially as it is on a new node,as the GTX1080TI FE is between 20% to 30% faster than a GTX1080 FE:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GTX_1080_Ti_Amp_Extreme/31.html

Agree but i can still not get my head round them shrinking to 14nm and it using + 300w and only be a tad slower than the 1080

seems to be a power sucking chip ..there has to be more ...not long to go to find out

Well it does look like a bargain compared to Vega FE Water :p

That it does :D

It has to beat a GTX1080FE by a reasonable amount though,or at least be around aftermarket GTX1080 level,otherwise I am not sure unless they pitch this under the price of a GTX1080,whether it will gain any traction as a card.

Edit!!

If you look at the Fury X,the TPU launch review shows the reference GTX980TI was upto 10% faster at qHD and 4K and that was not helped by the 4GB of VRAM for certain games I suspect.

If this can barely match a GTX1080,it will be relatively worse especially as it is on a new node,as the GTX1080TI FE is between 20% to 30% faster than a GTX1080 FE:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GTX_1080_Ti_Amp_Extreme/31.html

Pricing's gonna kill it for me. :C

I've had enough of waiting for Vega. I'm waiting for Navi now.

The way this "learn more about vega" stuff is dragging ... i may end up with a bloody phd by september
somehow those obnoxious prices quoted by nordichw are looking acceptable if it can cut the wait..
i hope the swedish have good healthcare programs for 25% vat

Edit!!

The 1080ti is basically 30% faster than a 1080 on average so it has a long way to go if it is only 1080 performance.

Agree but i can still not get my head round them shrinking to 14nm and it using + 300w and only be a tad slower than the 1080

seems to be a power sucking chip ..there has to be more ...not long to go to find out

Polaris is on 14nm yet a 580 uses more power than a 1080, whilst the 1080 outperforms it by 60-70% in games. AMD just can't seem to get GCN near Pascal levels of efficiency.

Radeon-Enhanced-Sync.jpg

Radeon-Enhanced-Sync-2.jpg

More snippets... Q2 earnings call ayymd

David M. Wong - Wells Fargo Securities LLC

Thanks very much. Can you give us some idea of whether your September guidance assumes any meaningful contribution from Vega sales for gaming in the September quarter?

Dr. Lisa T. Su - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Yes, David. We will be launching Vega, actually, in a week at SIGGRAPH. And yes, Vega will be shipping into gaming, into professional workstations, as well as into the GPU compute segment in the third quarter.

So before september for sure :D

It's made worse when the world record for Fury X overclocking had it hit around 1450Mhz with 1000Mhz HBM, and it managed to hit similar performance to an overclocked GTX 1080.

Now Vega with supposed improvements, higher clocks, and a die shrink can't manage it :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom