• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
What a disappointment. 15 months late to the party, and they can only equal a 1080 but with much worse power draw. I knew they were behind Nvidia but not this far :(

Soldato
or a 2nd hand 980Ti overclocked @ £220, kind of puts it in perspective with the value argument

If you want to go second hand, 980ti is good value against any of the new offering from nVidia or AMD.

Vega 56 could be the new best value mid-range card...even it just hits 1070 performance at a significantly lower price.

Associate
Looks like my 390 is staying in place for a bit. Think I'll wait for the next round from both sides and decide from there. I need a 4k card at a sensible price and there's nothing to fill that niche from either side IMHO.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP
You are happy to pay Nvidia same price for same performance vs AMD, but other is insulting?
You do realise Nvidia have had their card out 15 months ago which is a very long time in the tech world and on top of that they are a lot more power efficient? Price for performance has historically always improved over time. So yes, I stand by what I said.

What a disappointment. 15 months late to the party, and they can only equal a 1080 but with much worse power draw. I knew they were behind Nvidia but not this far :(

Exactly.

Associate
Amazed people are happy to pay the same price for performance they could have had 15 months a go along with potentially double the 1080s power draw. GG AMD.

Well if we are going by AMD slides (except doom), Vega 64 isn't the same price to performance as 1080, as they benched liquid Vega to get those results... Liquid vega64 will be faster than reference vega64.... AIB vega64 could come very close to liquid vega but will be priced higher than ref vega64 of course

Associate
This is interesting.

The boost figure now represents the average clockspeed during a typical gaming session rather than what the max boost state is set as.

PCPer said:
With the RX Vega cards and their specifications, the “boost clock” is now a typical clock rate. AMD has told me that this is what they estimate the average clock speed of the card will be during a typical gaming workload with a typical thermal and system design. This is great news! It means that gamers will have a more realistic indication of performance, both theoretical and expected, and the listings on the retailers and partner sites will be accurate.
https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graph...ga-64-and-Vega-56-Specs-Prices-Power-Detailed

V F

V F

Soldato
They actually managed to create inferior arch lol Kudos Raja great job, ati used to have great engineers but terrible driver team now it is both :p Hard thing to accomplish indeed

Where are the ATi guys today? Surely not with AMD?

Associate
You do realise Nvidia have had their card out 15 months ago which is a very long time in the tech world and on top of that they are a lot more power efficient? Price for performance has historically always improved over time. So yes, I stand by what I said.
But arent you thinking that complitely backwards? Nvidia is selling you 15months old tech. Not only that, but they are selling it at premium price and taking a hell of a lot more winnings per gpu vs AMD. So basicly they are just cashing you out. To me atleast, that would be insulting. ;)

Soldato
Are those prices listed the actual official prices?

AMD should be thinking long term here, suffer a loss on RX Vega to keep the existing Freesync owners and build up new customers. Imagine how different the talk would be right now if AMD pricing went as follows:-

Rx Vega 56 - $299
Rx Vega 64 Reference - $399
Rx Vega 64 Limited - $459
Rx Vega 64 Liquid - $549

That would have been a pretty good upgrade path for a lot of people on Polaris and lower GPU's. It would have tempted more people to buy Freesync monitors.

Surely AMD is reading reactions today and they have to know that Vega is going to be a fail. Pricing is the only thing that can make a difference right now.

It would much better for them to lose money but increase market share and build a base of customers for their next generation of cards. They have been doing so much right lately, good drivers and Ryzen has been successful. The Vega launch has ruined all that hard work.

Better to suffer the loss and keep the good reputation earned of late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom