• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
If there was a monitor available that was compatible with both G-Sync & Freesync I'd be interested. But I can't afford to ditch my monitor every time I get a new gpu. Or be forced to stay only with Nvidia or only AMD. And I agree about those Asus stands they take up to much room too

I'm now going to be in the situation where I have both Freesync and G-Sync available to me. Albeit with two vastly different monitors.

I'm not sure why someone hasn't made a monitor that'll accept both; not even the Korean "no-name" brands have done it.

I'd buy something like that with feature parity to individual high-end monitors.

Soldato
Diminishing returns evidently and a seriously inefficient core. So they've somehow screwed up the architecture?

It was noticeable how much AMD's marketing tailed off after the 1080ti was released. Were they seriously caught off guard by it? Were they honestly that excited about matching a card that has been out for over a year?...I didn't wait in the end and went 1080ti sli but I'm really disappointed, the market needed a kick up the backside at the top end and this isn't it.

Vega56 also has much lower clocked HBM2.

I do wonder whether they expected HBM2 would arrive earlier and have higher clockspeeds,but like I said if they can compare both Fiji and Vega at similar clockspeeds,it would be interesting to see if the uarch has any improvements.

Was their a regression in per clock performance?

Associate
Actually, looking into things a bit more....I'm quite interested to see how the Vega 56 benches.

Power consumption is sensible. It should be around 400 EUR retail. GTX 1080 is still 600 EUR so if it can get within spitting distance with real-world benches and good DX12 performance, they may have a sale here.

or a 2nd hand 980Ti overclocked @ £220, kind of puts it in perspective with the value argument

Associate
I hope benchmarks are out before preorder.

I sold my 290x when they were selling for crazy prices. I'm on a 6950 now lol which has no freesync support!

Hopefully I can order one and it doesn't get sold out by miners.

Associate
I do not blame you one bit mate. In your position I would be doing the same thing. At least you gave AMD a chance. But they are taking the biscuit with their pricing for what Vega is. As I said, unless when reviews come out the card is magically better, then I find their pricing insulting personally.

You are happy to pay Nvidia same price for same performance vs AMD, but other is insulting?

I'm wondering what would happen if Nvidia were to lower the price of the 1080 slightly and introduce Freesync support. Not sure about the technicalities of that, but I see the only reason you would buy Vega is Freesync support and price (the former is why I would consider AMD over Nvidia).

Nvidia banks every time extra 200$ when you buy Gsync monitor, they will never support Freesync because G sync is their moneycow. Freesync screen doesent net any money for AMD.

On gaming side Vega doesent look good but like someone said WX9100, Pro SSG, Instinct 25 and Vega FE look pretty sweet on segments they are made for. With those lower boost clocks for RX 64/56 air they should be able to undevolt it nicely vs VegaFE. Stock cooler is propably the same that Vega Fe had so it should be fine for air models especially 56.

Man of Honour
This is not good marketing by AMD, in fact it is terrible.

If NVidia tried to get me to buy extra stuff like a G-Sync monitor I would be very reluctant to buy any of their cards.

At least when you get ripped off by NVidia paying the Titan Tax you know there are no hidden or non optional extras.

Soldato
So 499 usd for RX Vega 64. Thats roughly £380 then add 20% tax That's 456£ so £460 should be about right for the reference card. Talking £500 easy for entry AIB cards with decent ones like costing about £529 - £550
It's pretty much 1080 money with it being slightly cheaper tbh. They will have to throw in game deals to make it more attractive i guess. Not to mention 1080 runs on less power so should be easier to cool. Then it overclocks a decent amount.

I think AMD are struggling in the GPU section tbh. Still Vega not bad cards but its not got the same success Ryzen has. Glad i got my 1080ti when i did now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom