• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don
Hah! lol. I will start the Navi thread next if anything. But maybe even that is a bad idea, one guy got upset that I started a new thread for us (like the mods suggested we should). At least I am making the effort in keeping the OP updated, unlike the old thread ;)

To be honest we were expecting some real news so thought a nice new thread without all the rubbish would be good. Lesson learnt, never presume anything with AMD :)

Soldato
Money isn't the issue, I'm not going to brag how much money I have or can spend, that's never the issue, the wait for Vega is just because I absolutely adore my freesync screen and don't want to play the £600 panel lottery game jumping to gsync and a 1080ti. Yes I could quite rightly buy a 1080/ti and just enjoy maxed out gaming, but without that adaptive sync tech I wouldn't be able to get true satisfaction from it.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP
To be honest we were expecting some real news so thought a nice new thread without all the rubbish would be good. Lesson learnt, never presume anything with AMD :)

That is right, never presume anything with AMD, RX Vega could easily end up coming out and beating the 1080Ti! :p

But in all seriousness, it was a poor show, they should have just said no Vega news at Computex so people do not bother getting hopes up and then feeling let down.

Associate
Money isn't the issue, I'm not going to brag how much money I have or can spend, that's never the issue, the wait for Vega is just because I absolutely adore my freesync screen and don't want to play the £600 panel lottery game jumping to gsync and a 1080ti. Yes I could quite rightly buy a 1080/ti and just enjoy maxed out gaming, but without that adaptive sync tech I wouldn't be able to get true satisfaction from it.
Well with a 1080 Ti it would be possbile for you to just max out every game at >144fps (some overclocking and lowering of some settings) and using fast-sync instead.

Associate
That is right, never presume anything with AMD, RX Vega could easily end up coming out and beating the 1080Ti! :p

But in all seriousness, it was a poor show, they should have just said no Vega news at Computex so people do not bother getting hopes up and then feeling let down.
Yep it will but by then we will have 2080 :)

Associate

I wasn't trying to brag. I'm actually waiting on Vega 11 to cary me over to Navi! Yet, even though it seems I'll end up waiting until 2018, I have never once complained about Vega delays.

Plus, I honestly think Vega is not that big a deal in the gaming front. If you check my post history I've said several times that it's just playing catch-up, is more compute-oriented and that people should not hype it up.

The next interesting thing AMD does for gaming will be Navi. Anyone hoping for something spectacular until then is just in for disappointment IMHO. EDIT: I mean that Navi is the only thing in AMD's roadmap that can potentially disrupt the gaming market. Polaris didn't and similarly Vega won't.

Soldato
With 600mm2 being the biggest graphics chip in history and NV are over 800 for the top Volta then the performance might not be all that over Pascal when comparing chip size. I doubt the gaming chip will be this big but Nvidia look to be feeling the need to make a huge chip for the gains they are after.
Nvidia will never try to make 800mm2 consumer graphics chip even with their current prices.
In enterprise market price of that size GPU chip isn't problem because volumes are low and those products anyway cost, arms, legs and all organs.
And that low volume also prevents low HBM2 availability from becoming problem with smaller prototype/pre-production etc batches being enough to assemble cards.

In Fermi "optimistic" die size and assumptions cost Nvidia lot with still low availability cards half year late from what AMD had on GPU made on same process...
Heck, if lots of people weren't brand blind Fermi's failures should have cost Nvidia most of its market share.

Man of Honour
At least I am making the effort in keeping the OP updated. ;)

This^^^

:)

People who start these type of threads should make the effort to keep them updated or failing that the Dons should close them.

I have a thread for Volta news but at the moment there is not a lot of that. When we start getting nearer the launch time I will be updating it a lot.

Caporegime
I'm pretty sure HBM is patent/royalty free (at least I've seen it touted several times). And with the minimum commitment agreement between GloFo and AMD I would've thought that AMD would've pursued them making HBM as well...
But they would need the design and the expertise in making such memory.

Soldato
i think you and me and a lot of others are thinking the same, i have no problem buying a 1080ti but like you i dont think i will be happy running it on my freesync and having quite a few monitors im finally happy with what i have so the wait for vega goes on for me

Soldato
I admit it sounds odd, but my point is: either you can fork out the cash for this or you can't. If you really have that sort of money lying around, then you have no problem going for a G-Sync and a 1080ti right now. And it doesn't matter if Vega arrives and turns out to be faster than Volta.

What I'm trying to say is: I think most people (myself included), can't justify spending that much money on gaming rigs. And when they do, it's a stretch. And when the next big thing hits (and it always does hit every other year or so) they feel numb. And when they've spent £500 on a monitor, they feel locked in.

If you feel locked in, then you've overstretched. I'm not saying that in the sense that you're in poverty or something. I'm just saying that even though you actually can afford a £500 monitor and card, you can only justify that to yourself once. Then you start waiting for Vega because you have Freesync and are frustrated and vent your frustration for your first-world problems here. I can understand it but I can't empathise, because that's just me.

P.S. Maybe my viewpoint is skewed because I can actually afford to spend £1000 per year on a gaming rig, I just think it's not really far from worth it...

Well you wrong to judge people ;) like Tony said it's not about money for me why I don't go nvidia. My dislike for nvidia is nothing to do with my income lol
I can right this min buy the best Ti on the market and the best 1440p Gsync monitor if I want to. I will never buy nvidia because I dislike these approach to pc gaming and business practices, anyway I have explained this all be for so enough of this and back onto Vega :D

Associate
It's taking so long for any news, it literally seems like forever and nothing has happened.

Vega needs to be mind blowing and be the fastest cards out there.

Soldato
Vega looks like it's going to be a case of too little too late, unless it's comparable to a 1080ti for a lot less. The Prey demo was a joke

They Prey demo was another horrible PR move in a long list of AMD PR mistakes. It was supposed to be showing off Threadripper IO, instead it has caused people to panic and started the rumour that Vega is junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom