• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Soldato
All valid points of which I don't disagree with, been around a long time to see the games played by both companies. If it's not ready it's not ready, but it better be worthy.
The situation is that Amd have not offered a true high end card since the Fury, there has been mass talk about vega and expectations of where it needs to perform for what seems a long time.
Polaris as good as it is, was late and was nothing special and really just a demonstration of a modified Tonga/Hawaii replaement that was meant to have been executed when 20nm was on the cards.
Don't get me wrong I like Polaris I have one, but it was meant to be Amd's attempt at getting back into notebook and mobile but we have seen a very slow adoption of this by the oem's.
I've seen good things from the cpu side, although Raven Ridge and Itx and rev2 boards are still yet to show.
I would just like to come back to Amd as I hate Nvidia's pricing structures, and just a little reassurance to myself and shareholders with a little more detail would go a long way.

Well,don't disagree about what you are saying either,and AMD at least need a viable qHD card let alone a 4K one,but like I said it does seem a consequence of them putting as much effort into Ryzen meaning there was no backup plan when HBM2 didn't quite ramp up as soon as they expected - it seems they might be using Samsung as well now so hopefully at least they have another source for HBM2.

I do hope whatever they launch it without any issues,like they had with the Fury X - first impressions do count after all,and it will be the halo card of the AMD range too.

Caporegime
Soldato
ah apologies, must have gotten that mixed up with another.

here's an exact 3ghz cpu (locked an 3ghz is turbo frequency)

http://www.techspot.com/amp/review/1332-mainstream-intel-core-i3-vs-core-i5/page2.html

so, like I said originally, even at 3ghz the threadripper would have been fine, he'll since prey runs fine on ryzen even at 2.5ghz it would have managed 60fps due to all the threads prey uses.
s
Fair enough for getting the benchmarks. Yes the average may exceed 60fps, however lets be real; frame pacing and minimums won't be great at low clocks.

Well,don't disagree about what you are saying either,and AMD at least need a viable qHD card let alone a 4K one,but like I said it does seem a consequence of them putting as much effort into Ryzen meaning there was no backup plan when HBM2 didn't quite ramp up as soon as they expected - it seems they might be using Samsung as well now so hopefully at least they have another source for HBM2.

I do hope whatever they launch it without any issues,like they had with the Fury X - first impressions do count after all,and it will be the halo card of the AMD range too.

I don't think AMD has the money to afford a back up plan. They would literally need to design 2 separate GPUs. One with GDDR5 and one with HBM2.
The lack of cash isn't the first time it screwed them over in terms of back up plans. when the GPU market was stuck at 28nm Nvidia could afford to redesign their architecture that was supposed to be on a smaller node to work on 28nm and we got pascal. AMD couldn't and hence we are were we are.

Last edited:
Soldato
If that's true... hello Volta!

Basically AMD have been peddling 290 performance for the £250-£300 mark for ... four generations now?

If that's not going to change until 2018... AMD... you can get bent.

You gotta remember that's a wccf link -- so 99% probability of being total BS.

Also, AMD may have been "peddling 290 performance for 4 generations" but look how close they still are to nVidia - but yeah, **** on AMD ;)

Associate
http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2913-when-does-the-intel-pentium-g4560-bottleneck-gpu

Pentium 3.5ghz running games like bf1 at 100+ fps.

as resolution goes up cpu demand goes down, the lower the resolution the more demanding on the cpu (hence why cpu benchmarks are run at 1080p or even 720p and why ryzen performs badly at 1080p but fine at 4k)

The "demand" on a CPU does not go down as the resolution increases. The bottleneck just shifts towards the GPU in that scenario. At lower resolution the bottleneck shifts back towards the CPU. It is certainly a more demanding workload for a CPU to run at 4k than 1080p, IF the GPU can keep up and isn't the bottle neck.

Last edited:
Associate
Makes sense if they really are having problems getting HBM2 supplied. What a massive massive mistake that was.
How the hell are they planning on going up against Volta with one year old tech? AMD are screwed this round. Hopefully we'll see Navi before 2019. *sigh*

Associate
I would sooner move to console (will just put up with 16.9 and 30 fps) than support nvidia's practices and get milked from them :D

I would almost agree. I don't really play too many new/taxing games on my PC nowadays. And I for sure plan on buying a Nintendo Switch, now that Monster hunter has been announced. Perhaps sooner depending on what games they announce at E3.

I also looked at GPU lengths on 1080tis and most of the good ones are a tight squeeze in my case with the hard drive cage kept in (though I do have the 5.25" drive bays spare for conversion if needed). Which will be even more important when I buy a 2nd storage drive next month. It's not worth waiting till June, but it's not worth me spending £600+ on a brand new 1080ti either, I don't play enough games on PC. I'm currently looking up at picking up a 980ti on the cheap from the members market to ensure I can get 1440p playable and that should hold me over till next year for a proper GPU upgrade.

Or if it turns out we were wrong and AMD's Vega is actually good, a 2nd hand 980ti will be a small loss if I ever do decide to get Vega. But looking at the timing of things, I don't think we'll have all the AIB options till September at this rate (the event for RX Vega release is end of June and it usually takes a month for AIB cards to come out and be in stock). By which time Volta might be out.

Soldato
Raja corrected himself on reddit. His post was supposed to read "Above" 60, not about.

https://twitter.com/GFXChipTweeter/status/869950534811213824
7b2d5d2c6a3d47b2aff46854ec3b101a.png

Caporegime
You gotta remember that's a wccf link -- so 99% probability of being total BS.

Also, AMD may have been "peddling 290 performance for 4 generations" but look how close they still are to nVidia - but yeah, **** on AMD ;)
AMD **** me off more than nV because they keep talking the talk, then failing to deliver.

"Overclockers dream" before Fury release.
"Radeon revolution" "VR champion" before 400 series release. Revolution? My arse.
"Poor Volta" months and months ago, before releasing... well, nothing, actually.

All these stupid PR gaffs, PR stunts that backfire and make them look amateur whilst winding up their fans. Countdowns to nothing.

AMD fails spectacularly at regularly releasing new, improved cards like nV do. Instead, AMD talk up a storm, then ... well, either a rebrand series like the 500s, or just nothing.... nothing at all.

But instead of keeping their damn mouths shut they keep promising "a gamers revolution" and crap like that. Shut up, AMD. Release some good cards on a regular timescale or just shut your damn mouths.

That's what ****s me off big time about AMD. nV might be milking us for all we're worth but at least they keep releasing new cards with actual improvements each gen.

All my goodwill towards AMD has been eroded by the rebrands and the way they mouth off even when they've got nothing.

Soldato
All my goodwill towards AMD has been eroded by the rebrands and the way they mouth off even when they've got nothing.

Not much they can do if they're horribly in debt, and the previous company execs essentially killed GPU R&D because they considered consumer graphics outside of consoles and APUs dead.

Gotta start again from scratch with a pittance.

I just hope Ryzen does well enough to get them to finally enter the black again. After that thing should go better for them, and all of us. It's clear where most of their R&D went the last 3-4 years.

Caporegime
Not much they can do if they're horribly in debt, and the previous company execs essentially killed GPU R&D because they considered consumer graphics outside of consoles and APUs dead.

Gotta start again from scratch with a pittance.

I just hope Ryzen does well enough to get them to finally enter the black again. After that thing should go better for them, and all of us. It's clear where most of their R&D went the last 3-4 years.
Getting rid of their inept marketing dept should save them a bit of cash ;)

V F

V F

Soldato
AMD **** me off more than nV because they keep talking the talk, then failing to deliver.

"Overclockers dream" before Fury release.
"Radeon revolution" "VR champion" before 400 series release. Revolution? My arse.
"Poor Volta" months and months ago, before releasing... well, nothing, actually.

All these stupid PR gaffs, PR stunts that backfire and make them look amateur whilst winding up their fans. Countdowns to nothing.

AMD fails spectacularly at regularly releasing new, improved cards like nV do. Instead, AMD talk up a storm, then ... well, either a rebrand series like the 500s, or just nothing.... nothing at all.

But instead of keeping their damn mouths shut they keep promising "a gamers revolution" and crap like that. Shut up, AMD. Release some good cards on a regular timescale or just shut your damn mouths.

That's what ****s me off big time about AMD. nV might be milking us for all we're worth but at least they keep releasing new cards with actual improvements each gen.

Now tell us how you really feel. :D

Soldato
Quite a few of us feeling the same I imagine, I'm feeling cheesed off I know that much. Waiting and waiting is killing my enthusiasm for gaming, at this rate I'll prob not even bother with pc gaming for a while, just bored with all AMD BS being tied in with Freesync and always being shafted up the keister.

Will more than lijely just get OLED and a Scorpio later in the year and fap at the quality with far less stresses and disappointments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom