• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Hmmm, this is annoying.

Only recently built a new rig and was hoping to upgrade graphics soon, didn't see any point buying a 1070 or 1080 as they've been around for nearly 14 months now and Vega/Volta are coming.

Tempted to look at a 1080ti but I'm not gonna blow £700+ on a card that will be old tech in a few months... Is Volta still scheduled for Q4 2017/Q1 2018?

Soldato
Yeah you can bruteforce, stick more ram in call it job done. But it's extra cost and power. It's called being smart not gimping. Why stuff a card full of VRAM when you can switch out what you need, especially when most of it isn't used?
Games already switch out data that is not needed, look at Carmark's Megatexture for example.And in any open-world game like GTA there is always data streaming in and out as needed.

As a user of a 1gb card with GTA5 I can tell you that streaming open world is a disaster for frame rates currently if you dont have the big space available to buffer it all currently and feed the GPU. GTA is probably well coded but they cant overcome that choke and apparently it applies in some amount less dramatically all the way upto top spec machines

I get like 45% gpu usage when going top speed through the middle of a city. I can tell it must be size related as if the LOD factor is increased by me maybe flying 100 feet overhead it all becomes manageable and frame rates double.
Thats the obvious effect that leads us into ever bigger vram counts. If they are using smart prediction to overcome rather brute force then great, I think that could be the best direction. I'm a big fan of realistic open worlds, I dont want them to be limited to the idea of just keep doubling up the memory and its fine.

Game engines are always directed in their backbone to the largest part of gaming population and that is pleb spec machines not enthusiast. Hopefully Vega can see a benefit somewhere maybe only in cost: performance by not needing the 16gb it might have required to do well otherwise

Last edited:
Soldato
Its actually a card I gave away to my nephew at one point, basically fished from the bottom of the spare parts box but it does run crysis :D I didnt expect to be waiting for eternity :o I torn a muscle in my arm or I might have got something January when the RMA people got back to me and so anyway I waited
IkxZYua.png
I don't think HBCC is going to be a selling point as far as gaming goes

If its altering minimum frame rates then it changes everything, its massive news. If :p

Soldato
Just noticed 2 Vega Frontier Edition cards are now available for pre-order somewhere, the 16GB HBM2 air cool version is slight more expensive than Titan Xp and cost as much as Radeon Pro Duo but if you want to buy 16GB HBM2 water cooler version for gaming then it will cost you over £1500. :eek: Would not a problem if you have saved over £1500 made from mining profit.

Look like 8GB Vega RX gaming card will be around 1080 Ti price range.

Permabanned
VEGA(1).jpg

Under performing!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom