The American Police

Not sure what in my post you are disagreeing with. A Court would definitely accept that, for example, an illegally re-activated bolt-action .303 SMLE rifle is a licensable section 1 firearm and give you 5 years imprisonment for unlicensed possession of it.

However, how could any UK Court decide that a catapult is a firearm? Section 57 (1) of the Firearms Act 1968 states that a firearm is 'a lethal barrelled weapon of any description from which any shot, bullet or other missile can be discharged'. Your Preston Shooters linked text states that the definition of a "lethal weapon" is 'a weapon capable of firing a projectile with sufficient force to inflict more than a trivial injury i.e. with sufficient force to puncture skin'.

Surely, the key in this context is the word "barrelled". Catapults, slingshots, crossbows, longbows, compound bows and recurve bows don't have a barrel and so even if they are classified as a "lethal weapon" they can never legally be defined as a firearm.

"Lethal weapons" are not automatically illegal in the UK. The Offensive Weapons Acts banned some of them, like flick knives, balisongs etc, but catapults, slingshots and bows were never mentioned in them. Recently, they have also banned curve-bladed swords (including katanas), knuckle dusters, combat style knives, zombie knives etc, unless they are antiques.

Curved bladed swords, including katana types, aren't banned.

My sensei occasionally brings his when we do weapon practice. Always focuses the mind, that does!

Last time I checked (a year so back) they were available for sale, but I think you needed to show fair use- club membership or similar.

Curved bladed swords, including katana types, aren't banned.

My sensei occasionally brings his when we do weapon practice. Always focuses the mind, that does!

Last time I checked (a year so back) they were available for sale, but I think you needed to show fair use- club membership or similar.

My apologies, there is an exemption in the Offensive Weapons Act 2019 (page 20) 'if: (a) it is shown that the weapon was made before 1954 or was made at any other time according to the traditional methods of making swords by hand; (b) it is shown that possession is for religious reasons or for the purpose of making the weapon available for the purposes of use in religious ceremonies for religious reasons; (c) it shown that possession is for the purposes only of making the weapon available for, or participating in, a permitted activity - i.e a historical reenactment or sporting activity'

But for the average person, low cost modern manufactured live-bladed katanas are no longer allowed for personal possession in their own homes. They also recently prohibited private possession of a large number of other knives (pages 18 & 19) which it was previously an offence, under section 141 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988 to manufacture, sell, hire, (have in your possession for the purpose of sale or hire), lend or import.

Back on topic ^

"No Kenosha officers to face charges in Jacob Blake shooting, prosecutors say"

https://www.foxnews.com/us/kenosha-officers-no-charges-jacob-blake

This decision has took to long in my opinion.
But a great out come.
The decision was based on evidence that was not captured on widely shared cellphone footage of the Aug. 23 shooting.

Blake even tells us at different times he had the knife in different hands.
Oh yes, absolutely, the word of the accused person should always be taken in preference to video footage; I expect that Blake was juggling with the invisible knife. :rolleyes:

It seems that the Police in the USA did not give an order to rioters to disperse yesterday and shoot those who would not obey instantly.

Did the US Police stand by and watch?

Oh yes, absolutely, the word of the accused person should always be taken in preference to video footage; I expect that Blake was juggling with the invisible knife. :rolleyes:

"Graveley said Blake, 29, was armed with a knife that was not visible in the video footage and admitted to having one during the incident. Statements that he was unarmed contradict what Blake, who had an active felony warrant for his arrest at the time of the shooting, told authorities, he said. "

Oh Dear :rolleyes:

Handing them out to the wrong people seems to be the biggest issue.

Some countries have 1 gun for every 3 people, for example Finland yet their homicide rate is the same as ours.

How would you explain this?

I just did in the very quote you responded to? They need to
Handing them out to the wrong people seems to be the biggest issue.

Some countries have 1 gun for every 3 people, for example Finland yet their homicide rate is the same as ours.

How would you explain this?

As said in the quote you replied to. The US hands guns out for fun. They have a shocking approach to gun ownership. Mix in the many issues that exist in the country and the outcome is what we are seeing.

Back
Top Bottom