The Americanisation of the BBC

SPG

SPG

Soldato
You got it....

Why does the BBC suddenly have the crappy super-bowl plasterd all over its website, yet the rugby gets nothing.

I want a cut down licence fee to support the radio. The rest of the service is now tosh.

Soldato
Because it's prohibitively expensive to purchase the rights to home-grown sports....broadcasters are switching to purchasing content from other countries that are considerably cheaper.

The coverage I had of English sport when I was living abroad was miles better than you can get here!

Pho

Pho

Soldato
I don't watch it but it's a huge event and they only cover it once a year I guess?

I mean, I'd rather the BBC drop local TV/radio and put the saved bandwidth towards increasing the main freeview/freesat HD channel quality instead of having all those local SD channels clogging things up, but people's opinions differ :p

Associate
The BBC mode of funding is completely outdated and should be changed. It was easy to argue it's case before satellite and IPTV (Netflix, Amazon prime etc). The only thing I'd pay for is BBC radio 6. The rest is rubbish.

Permabanned
Rugby was all over the BBC the other day when it was actually on, they also have a specific rugby section, Superbowl was last night and is more relevant to front pages.

Another nothing whinge about the BBC. :)

SPG

SPG

Soldato
OP
So are a hundred other home grown sports that we used to get on TV, CycloCross, Trial riding, Wrestling (ok it was crap but my gran loved it), hill climbs, instead of supporting cack like the superbowl they should be spending money on home grown sports and coverage,

Soldato
They probably pay the BBC to air it :p

I suppose if you like watching men take a break it could be interesting.

Last edited:
Soldato
So are a hundred other home grown sports that we used to get on TV, CycloCross, Trial riding, Wrestling (ok it was crap but my gran loved it), hill climbs, instead of supporting cack like the superbowl they should be spending money on home grown sports and coverage,

I'm sure the CycloCross world championship buts on a better show and attracts a bigger audience than the Superbowl every year, you're so right!

/s

Soldato
Considering I have never heard of those except Wrestling, and also Im sure none of them have their own networks, which means BBC would have to put a Crew together to go and set everything up, for sports people haven't heard of, nah, they arnt even in the same realm of soemthing like Superbowl.

Permabanned

Sport is global now, we are no longer a tiny insignificant island with little news of the outside world. We are now just a tiny insignificant island. :)

Back
Top Bottom