• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Ampere RTX 3090 Owners Thread

Soldato
The Asus Strix runs quite toasty

room temp: 26c
Humidity: 80%

Strix 3090 performance bios (stock): temp sit at 70c with 70% fan speed.

Strix 3090 overclocked (123% PL): temp 80c with 80% fan speed

For 24/7 use I've settled on 105% PL, +50mhz on the core and +200mhz on the memory (3d mark score is 3% lower than 123% PL): I've going to use custom curve to make sure the fan doesn't go over 65% and then see where the temps land (under 80c and I'll be ok)

Associate
I know right lol, even just 105% PL that I've got now results in 410w power draw at full load - I'm already starting to regret not getting the kingpin - a 360mm AIo would cut at 20-30c off these temps

What kind of core clock frequency does it settle at under gaming?

I noticed if I left my Gigabyte Vision to its own devices it tends to fall down to 1890mhz or so, but now with a bit of tweaking it sits at 1935mhz solid at 875mV. After a long RDR2 session it hits 70C on maxed out settings 3400x1440p. In Horizon Zero Dawn maxed out, its more like 60-66C. 105% max power limit.

Soldato
What kind of core clock frequency does it settle at under gaming?

I noticed if I left my Gigabyte Vision to its own devices it tends to fall down to 1890mhz or so, but now with a bit of tweaking it sits at 1935mhz solid at 875mV. After a long RDR2 session it hits 70C on maxed out settings 3400x1440p. In Horizon Zero Dawn maxed out, its more like 60-66C. 105% max power limit.

1950mhz. I haven't tried any voltage mods.
With 123% PL it sits between 2000 and 2050 but gets too hot

Associate
On Thu I got delivered the KFA2 RTX 3090 and am I impressed with it. Before (since sold) I was using Nvidia RTX 2080 ti and some of the games I have (40 odd) were crashing or other malfunctions. Cyberpunk 2077 would not run at all just crashing to the desktop and since installing the new card it has given me no problems and have played 2hours and no crashes. I am a big fan of Flight simulators and will probably need more memory in the future espically if MSFS moves to Direct X12. So for me the new card is not a waste of my money and in this present climate I have nothing else to buy and my computer is my hobby (68 and still building my own, a few years ago I would build and fix other peoples computers but the fingers are not the same).

Soldato
So I have noticed that RT games generate a lot more heat. My FE at stock stabilises at around 62% fan speed in timespy stress test but whilst playing metro exodus the fans are around 70-75%, which sounds like a jet engine. Increasing power limit makes the fans go all the way to 100% during intense ray tracing gaming as the default bios seems to target 69-70c temperate.

Seems to be a major oversight by the reviewers as none of them mentioned that the card becomes a jet engine when playing RT games. I was under the impression that the card is quiet but it is definitely not. Anything above 50% fans speed is noticeable and 65%+ is unbearably loud.

Last edited:
Soldato
So I have noticed that RT games generate a lot more heat. My FE at stock stabilises at around 62% fan speed in timespy stress test but whilst playing metro exodus the fans are around 70-75%, which sounds like a get engine. Increasing power limit makes the fans go all the way to 100% during intense ray tracing gaming as the default bios seems to target 69-70c temperate.

Seems to be a major oversight by the reviewers as none of them mentioned that the card becomes a jet engine when playing RT games. I was under the impression that the card is quite but it is definitely not. Anything above 50% fans speed is noticeable and 65%+ is unbearably loud.

That's normal

RT cores are a seperate subset of units in the SM. When there is no Ray Tracing taking place these cores just sit idling away, they're unable to do anything else.

Then you turn on Ray Tracing in your game and these cores come alive - so yea of course the GPU will now run hotter

Soldato
The Asus Strix runs quite toasty

room temp: 26c
Humidity: 80%

Strix 3090 performance bios (stock): temp sit at 70c with 70% fan speed.

Strix 3090 overclocked (123% PL): temp 80c with 80% fan speed

For 24/7 use I've settled on 105% PL, +50mhz on the core and +200mhz on the memory (3d mark score is 3% lower than 123% PL): I've going to use custom curve to make sure the fan doesn't go over 65% and then see where the temps land (under 80c and I'll be ok)

I can get +163 on the core and +300 on the memory without touching the PL on my FE which equates to half a dozen fps at best but I can lower the PL to 91% which still gives me a slight boost and a lot less heat (and noise) @ 315W which is a lot easier to live with. Theres really very little headroom for OC on these cards. Well mine anyway (FE).

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
So I have noticed that RT games generate a lot more heat..

Seems to be a major oversight by the reviewers as none of them mentioned that the card becomes a jet engine when playing RT games. I was under the impression that the card is quiet but it is definitely not. Anything above 50% fans speed is noticeable and 65%+ is unbearably loud.

If you change your editorial direction we might let you buy one of our cards...

Associate
Anyone with the kfa2 3090 get the fans to stop at idle? Its idle at 35 but they don't stop, also playing cyberpunk fans go to 75% instantly even tho the temp is only 61,seems a bit aggressive.

Soldato
Has anyone got issues with MSI AB always altering the voltage curve itself? Dialled in 2.1Ghz day to day clock at an undervolt (compared to stock) of 1.025v which works perfect for gaming (though does drop with RT heavy ones). However after I reset the PC, with the same profile set to come on automatically, it automatically targets 2160 Mhz at the same 1.025v which is just a tad too much for that voltage and falls over. Has anyone managed to get the MSI voltage curve to stick properly after resetting. I just want it to stick to what I have and come on after each reboot.

Associate
I have noticed that AB tends to jump the frequency up a little bit, randomly rounding up or down, try setting it to 2050mhz and see if that sticks.
I'm assuming it's because not all the cards from all the card makers have the same voltage profile

Associate
15mhz per in and it'll change depending on gpu temp when it's set. Best just to set it a couple of bins lower for 24/7, you'll never notice the difference outside of a benchmark.

Back
Top Bottom