The anime thread sequel (it's still not as good as the Manga though),

Soldato
Not necessary just early phones ... my phone is about 2 years old and that still has the functionality to be a remote (I can control both TVs and BD players with it ... but the "remote" for the BD player is limited to only showing the same buttons as the actual remote.

But .... tried a couple of locked disks I have had for a while which are on the geolocked list and didn't work in the old panasonic player .... and they actually both worked without trying anything ....

Soldato
Well, finally got round to finishing FMP IV Invisible Victory. Production issues, definately had some of those, but other than that, I really enjoyed it, you could tell it was flying along plot wise at points, and it had some very nice touches at the end and beginning for old fans. I've not had a huge amount of time to watch anime this year, but definately up there as my current favourite from a balance of nostalgia, plot and nods to the past.

Fingers crossed they do a season 5; I understand it did reasonably well financially.

Commissario
OP
Has there ever been a good live action adaptation of any anime? I honestly can't think of one.
They've been getting better and it is worth noting how most of them have been Japanese live action adaptations where the norm isn't for massively high quality versions, nothing wrong with them but IIRC they're normally done as a fairly quick/cheap cash in or deemed to "need" a lot of changes to make it palatable to western audiences or in the case of Japanese productions shoehorning in actors/singers who aren't actually necessarily suited for the role but their agency is using it to promote them and paying some of the cost.
Bebop is probably one of the easiest major Anime's to do a live action adaptation that is acceptable to a wide audience given how western the source material feels, add in the fact Netflix have been doing some very good adaptations (including of complicated sci-fi stuff) and have the money and seem to be willing to take some risks by not dumbing down the source material when making a show and I'd say they've probably got a reasonable chance, as long as no one expects it to slavishly mimic the anime scene for scene.

I will admit I quite enjoyed the Live Action GITS, and thought they did a stunning job of getting the general feel of it right, and the look was pretty much spot on, but I think the time they had to tell the story in wasn't long enough which led to some of the story changes I didn't agree with (mainly to do with the Major's background), but that's a title that has had *thinks hard* 3 anime continuities, a manga and then the live action film, and the live action film took bits from two of the anime continuities (if not all three) and the manga :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Has there ever been a good live action adaptation of any anime? I honestly can't think of one.
Rurouni Kenshin & Blade of the Immortal were ok. Not as good as the manga or anime for Rurouni Kenshin. Blade of the Immortal anime was poor, but he manga is excellent.

If it's just a manga adaptation then Oldboy and Lone Wolf and Cub are good.

Soldato
Looking at the first day I realise that there are at least two things listed which I got last year and haven't gotten around to watching yet!

edit:
ordered:
Snow White with the Red Hair
Grimgar: Ashes and illusions (didn't get around to ordering it when it was on offer pre-release)

already got:
Lord Marksman and Vanadis
Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya
Rage of Bahamut Genesis

Edit2:
Actually I have Claymore as well but only on DVD but I didn't like enough to bother upgrading to BD.

Last edited:
Soldato
Already have everything except Snow White with the Red Hair & Grimgar: Ashes and illusions.

Grimgar was OK, but don't need to see it again. Snow White doesn't appeal to me from what I've seen.

If I didn't already own Claymore I'd definitely buy it. :D

Associate
same here already got everything on the list with the exception of Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya - Blu-ray Collector's Edition. overlord the collection edition. claymore I bought import few months before anime limited announced that they would be releasing it on blu-ray. let hope day two better.

Soldato
Not much for me today ... I was tempted by Space Dandy but then I remembered that I'd seen some of it and hadn't liked the art style and humour so dropped it.

Also from MVM Entertainments Facebook:
Don't forget, our 12 Days of Christmas sale starts this Friday 7th! Click the link for more info! https://www.anime-on-line.com/xcart/home.php?cat=2942

edit:
I've already got Place Promised in Our Early Days and Garden of Words, both of which are excellent. Whilst I like Kino's Journey I already have an earlier DVD release and I already have Tokyo Marble Chocolate (although I wouldn't necessarily recommend that)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom