The anime thread sequel (it's still not as good as the Manga though),

Associate
Just finished watching all of Seven Deadly Sins and all I can say is WOW. This show is just amazing. So sad I can't watch it anymore, I was hooked from start to finish all 4 seasons.

I remember thinking it was pretty cool before, but then the last season (or maybe the one before that) I just had to give up on it as it felt pretty terrible to watch, I'm not sure if my tastes changed or if it just went down hill... it's odd because it has some great characters like Escanor, but just felt really stale after a while.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
There are a ridiculous number of things to watch, you may well change your mind on that sometime!

RE: Tattoos I'd strongly advise watching more stuff first to improve the level of certainty about what you want.

I'm sure we could collectively make some recommendations, what kind of theme do you like?
Themes like these 2 shows that I just watched.. magical powers.. good Vs bad.. amazing one on one battles... Another friend recommended one called Demon Slayer to watch next.. also Overlord, not looked into either of them yet. Will see what's available on Netflix first as it's just easier to watch.

I remember thinking it was pretty cool before, but then the last season (or maybe the one before that) I just had to give up on it as it felt pretty terrible to watch, I'm not sure if my tastes changed or if it just went down hill... it's odd because it has some great characters like Escanor, but just felt really stale after a while.
I know exactly what you mean. S3 did get a bit stale and had me wondering why they are showing certain non important things... But S4 is on another level and it ties it all up together. Fights every ep and advanced ones not basic ones. If you haven't seen S4 definitely watch it.

Associate
I know exactly what you mean. S3 did get a bit stale and had me wondering why they are showing certain non important things... But S4 is on another level and it ties it all up together. Fights every ep and advanced ones not basic ones. If you haven't seen S4 definitely watch it.

I had to bust open my little spreadsheet (yes I keep one to try to remember where I've gotten in shows, my only regret was not starting it sooner) ... Nanatsu no Taizai: Kamigami no Gekirin was where I gave up, 5 episodes in, not sure if that's season 3 or 4 though.

Soldato
Themes like these 2 shows that I just watched.. magical powers.. good Vs bad.. amazing one on one battles... Another friend recommended one called Demon Slayer to watch next.. also Overlord, not looked into either of them yet. Will see what's available on Netflix first as it's just easier to watch.

I like Overlord, but it lives in a genre called isekai, which is basically "die, wake up in another world, often a game world or similar". I like the genre personally, some people don't, I normally have an isekai on the go.

Demon Slayer is good but it's boosted by it's animation quality a bit, without ufotable animating it I'd not rate it as highly as I do, but it's a visually stunning piece of work. If you wind up liking Demon Slayer they also made Fate/Zero which can be watched by itself and has the same great animation.

Consider also some other options (this list is by no means exhaustive):

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood - This is widely regarded as a very good anime indeed. Chill with the Elric brothers as they hunt for a way to use their alchemy against the laws of nature to restore what was lost.

Death Note - Think this was my first real anime, it's about a high school student called Light who finds a note book called a Death Note. Whoever has their name recorded in the Death Note will die. it's a little older animation wise but should still stand up OK.

Kill la Kill - This is pure over the top ridiculousness, but I love it. A girl called Ryuko Matoi is seeking vengeance against the killer of her dad wielding half a pair of scissors as a sword, and wearing her life fibre outfit which is far more revealing than it should (or needs to) be.

My Hero Academia - This is a shonen which is typically aimed at a slightly younger audience (teens) but this is made so well, that it's hard not to like it. The animation is crisp, the mechanics of the powers are interesting, and the hype it builds is real.

Madoka Magica - Magical girls battle witches with their side kick Kyubey, which is a cat like creature. This is one not to be missed imo.

Saga of Tanya the Evil - This is another isekai like Overlord, what happens when you reincarnate into the body of a teenage girl on the frontlines of a WW1 era Germany, where instead of planes you have mages and magic rifles? This.

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime - isekai again but this time we're a slime. Just rolling about doing slime things. This is a fun one rather than serious but I enjoy it all the same.

I'm sure some of the other regulars here will have some ideas or suggestions as well! :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
I would note that the latest Humble Bundle gets you what looks like the vast majority of the Attack on Titan manga (Inc spinoffs) for <£15

Recent anime I've received include linky The Chihayafuru sets are the US Blu-ray premium editions which I've wanted for a while and Rightstuf had season 1 & 2 for $46 ($26 & $20) reduced from ~$350 ($200 & $150)

I didn't get that much from the 12 days sales this year (although more than I was planning) but did pre-order a few things and am waiting for a few others which have slipped

Last edited:
Soldato
Personally I really like Chihayafuru in both it's anime and live action forms. The anime has great bgm, in the early seasons at least, and good characters. Given that it's about a traditional card game don't expect a lot of action but it has a good balance of comedy and match excitement to draw you into the story.

Soldato
Another week or so another update i guess, assuming people aren't sick of them by now! :)

Finished:
  • The Irregular at Magic High School - I thought season 2 kicked it up a notch both in terms of story as well as artwork. Tatsuya seems to be a bit less wooden in this season as well.
  • Girls' Last Tour - I thought that this was fantastic and would thoroughly recommend. It was a fun romp through a very atmospheric post apocalypse. The settings looked great, and the main characters played off each other very well. My only complaint is that season 1 doesn't end the story, there are 2 manga volumes that finish the story off.
Continuing:
  • Code Geass - S2E18 next up. I've enjoyed this show on the whole, although some of the decisions that the characters make are questionable. I think I'd like this even more if I had the nostalgia element like I do with Death Note.
  • Log Horizon - S2E18 next up. Some of the things this show does is really good. My only issues are how much of the episodes are filler. When the plot is moving it's really good, but when it's not it just becomes more sol. Season 2 does seem to have improved the overall presentation a bit in terms of art/quality.
  • My Hero Academia - S2E18 next up. I'm loving watching this really, it's just really well made and I can't fault it really.
  • Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid - I've only seen first couple of episodes so far, but so far so good. I really like the silly details they add which make the dragon maid take on characteristics of a dragon whilst in human form, for example licking clothes to clean them, and having a tail.
  • Dorohedoro - Watching this on a recommendation from a friend, and bonus is that it's made by MAPPA who've done some other shows I've liked. It's been quite a wild start so far! This show has a really interesting setting, and it's pretty damn violent so far. As with Kobayashi I've only seen first couple of eps.
Planning to watch (short list - roughly in order probably. Bold = starting imminently):
  • Cautious Hero - The Hero Is Overpowered but Overly Cautious (when I finish Log Horizon)
  • DARLING in the FRANXX (when I finish Code Geass)
  • Isekai Quartet S1
  • Assassination Classroom
  • A Place Further Than the Universe
  • The Future Diary
  • FLCL
  • School-Live!
  • Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunnygirl Senpai
As you can see I'm nearing the end of a couple of things but I've got new shows lined up for when I've finished them.

I've added a couple of new upcoming ones to my PTW list, I may try and do some of those sooner rather than later if they are shorter ones.

Last edited:
Commissario
OP
You've got a nice line up there:)
FLCL is slightly nuts but great fun with excellent music - although I'm still waiting for the two sequel series to see a release over here (the first series has been out for nearly 20 years! they took over a decade for seasons 2 and 3).

I have cleared a couple of my older series on blu-ray.
Yu-Shibu (I couldn't become a hero, so I reluctantly decided to get a job), which was good fun with some nice animation, some fun gags, an interesting take on what happens after the demon king is defeated, and generally enjoyable although I think they over did the T&A.

At the other end of the scale was Dai-Shogun.
The character designs and detail was good, but the animation was almost non existent (I've seen 70's and 80's TV animation with more actual animation*), and the story seemed to meander rather a lot - I'll be honest it was a slog at times to get through the 12 episodes.

I'm probably going to try something that should be more fun tonight, either Full Metal Panic S4, or possibly Demon Slayer as that arrived on Saturday.

*Seriously, it felt like I was watching a more detailed version of Scooby Do or The Flintstones in terms of animation.

Soldato
From what I read FLCL first 6 episodes are definitely worth trying, but the later series aren't quite the same, and can be ignored. On that basis I may just watch the initial 6 eps :)

I have cleared a couple of my older series on blu-ray.
Yu-Shibu (I couldn't become a hero, so I reluctantly decided to get a job), which was good fun with some nice animation, some fun gags, an interesting take on what happens after the demon king is defeated, and generally enjoyable although I think they over did the T&A.

Yu-Shibu sounds fun, I know what you mean though, too much T&A at the expense of plot/story can be a negative. One for my eventual list probably but I have quite a few queued up that I haven't even mentioned yet. Dai-Shogun sounded terrible, I'd drop the series if it was that bad to watch!

I've been really enjoying Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid it's actually funny without trying too hard to be, and I just love the world they are in. I am not rushing it though as it's short, I don't want to watch it in just one day.

When/If Zavvi get some restocks on their sale which runs to the end of the month I think, I'd quite like to also pick up (New Game! + New Game!! collection) and Kobayashi as well, were both in stock earlier but I was slacking and missed out, New Game went OOS.

My collection has grown a little with the recent additions (curse you Overlord for having 2 different side designs lol!). CE's and collections are much nicer than regular cases :)

nUPiwAyh.jpg

Stuff on the way still:
  • GL and Cowboy Bebop collections from ATA - shipped on 8th Jan
  • RE: Zero S1 CE and KLK CE from ATA - should arrive by end of Feb
  • Steins Gate collection from Base - ordered today
  • Fate Stay/Night UBW CE from MVM - sometime in March I think

Commissario
OP
New Game is really enjoyable in that slice of life sort of way, no massively high stakes or anything but a fun look at the new girl at a games development company:)

Steins Gate is really good, and I'm tempted to rewatch it before watching the film.

I made a start on Demon Slayer, which is proving to be very good:) and Cybercity Oedo 808 shipped yesterday, whilst my Weathering with You set from Zavvi finally arrived (it's the Zavvi exclusive with the ost, IIRC they've got a few left on the store again).

Soldato
I'm hoping to watch New Game after Kobayashi, as they are both fairly light watches, so good relief between more serious ones.

Been a while since I saw Steins Gate and I think I saw dub first time around, so watching in sub if I do rewatch will be interesting for a change of presence.

Demon Slayer animation is really high quality, it really looks the part, I enjoyed it partly because the animation was so good.

Commissario
OP
Aye varying what you watch is a good idea, so something light hearted/comdey between more serious stuff is always a good idea to help prevent burning out.
It's one of the reasons I've ended up being rather omnivorous with my anime habit* as I've repeatedly found that watching something completely different to my usual choices can help me avoid getting bored, going back a few years I'd typically watch anything put out by Rightstuf/Nozomo as they always seemed to licence really good stuff, or keep an eye on Animeondvd (before they got sold and eventually closed) for the reviews as I found I could trust their reviewers choices.

It's also worth remembering which anime really make you smile, sometimes if you go blind into something you really need that happy place series afterwards ;) (I like Aria the Animation, FMP Fumoffu etc for that, especially after something like "Saikano", "Now and then, here and there" or "Grave of the Fireflies"**).

*I'm really not a sports fan but loved Princess Nine, and things like Silver Spoon didn't initially appeal to me but once I'd watched the first couple of episodes I loved them.

**I'm trying hard to use older examples, as I don't think it's a spoiler to say something 15 years old has some hard viewing/very dark themes.

Soldato
Been a week and a little bit, so time for a small update I guess :)

Finished:
  • Code Geass - This was definitely a ride, and the end of season 2 in particular was a bit crazy. In the end I can say that it was good that they gave it a proper ending. My only real complaint about the show in general is probably the same kind of thing I'd say about Death Note due to it's age. Sometimes the plot just didn't make sense from a logical point of view. I thought this was ahead of it's time animation quality wise.
  • Log Horizon - On the whole this was good, but it definitely suffered from a bit too much filler or slice of life content, some episodes the plot didn't really advance, and it was at it's most interesting when there was more going on.
  • Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid - This was my favourite thing I finished I think. I just loved the way the world was portrayed and how the characters interacted with each other. Was genuinely funny to me at times as well.
  • Dorohedoro - I liked this one but the season 1 ending was a bit weak, I'd love to see where it goes if a season 2 is done as season 1 was just heating up. This definitely got points for being a bit weird and different, the animation style was quite different, with a darker/grungy feel. The worldbuilding on this was really good, and I still have questions about how lots of things work.
Continuing:
  • My Hero Academia - Might start Season 3 soon? mulling over whether to hop back to HxH for a bit, or push onwards with this.
  • Cautious Hero - The Hero Is Overpowered but Overly Cautious - 4 episodes in. Good so far but took a couple of episodes to get going. Not sure I'd rate it as high as things like Overlord, Tanya, Shield Hero. Too early to say though, I need to watch the rest.
  • DARLING in the FRANXX - 7 episodes in. This is a slightly controversial one, I understand that this started well but 2nd half wasn't as good. So far what I have seen is strong, interesting world building, characters, fantastic design/art etc.
  • Assassination Classroom - 8 episodes in. I expedited this one as I was interested in getting the collection bluray box, and I can say that it's good so far. The premise is fun, and it's got a good mix between comedy and serious bits.
  • Something???
Planning to watch (short list - roughly in order probably. Bold = starting imminently):
  • Isekai Quartet S1 (When I finish Cautious Hero)
  • FLCL (maybe after Franxx)
  • The Future Diary
  • Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunnygirl Senpai
  • A Place Further Than the Universe
  • School-Live!
  • New Game!
  • ID- INVADED
  • From the New World
  • Great Pretender
  • Re-CREATORS
  • Akame ga Kill!
  • Jormungand
  • Psycho Pass
Assassination Classroom is a fairly long one at almost 50 episodes, so I'm keen to knock some shorter ones on the head alongside it.

For my Continuing list I am tempted to just carry on MHA. I kind of want to go back to HxH sometime, but being honest with myself I think I just prefer MHA over HxH as far as Shonen's go. HxH is not helped by it's extreme season lengths which don't give me many opportunities to get clean season breaks.

For my 5th Something??? option for watching I think I want something a bit more serious. Maybe The Future Diary (I know it's not meant to be super amazing, but I see it mentioned a fair bit, I feel like I should watch it at least once). If not that then something like Psycho Pass, Akame ga Kill! or Jormungand possibly?

I'd like to also do a sports anime properly sometime. I think that Haikyu!! is meant to be one of the best ones, so if I do get around to one may start there. It's quite long though and I'd probably put on the backburner until I've knocked at least another longish show off my list.

Commissario
OP
I dint's want to scare people off by saying how nuts it was...I mean it is only slightly nuts on the Gainax scale ;)

I received a surprise box this morning from ATA containing "Summer Days with Coo", "Millennium Actress":cool::D and "Gun Gale Online" :) which is nice, although I didn't get a shipping confirmation.

I'm going to try and make a start on "March comes in like a lion" later, having not watched any anime for a couple of days since finishing Demon Slayer part 1 which was very good.

Commissario
OP
I'm looking forward to part 2 of Demon Slayer:)

I forgot to say anime-on-line.com are doing a 20% off on their site with the code NEWYEAR21 which can be applied to anything i believe, I've used it to pre-order the second part os Fruits Basket season 2 on blu-ray for £16 :)

Back
Top Bottom