• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

**The ASrock 939dual-SATA2 (ULi M1695) thread**

Associate
i found out that you need ram wich does not run on high voltage, that i went out bought some box standard Ram and all running very good for now
how have you got about with that Maxtor Hdd same as mine but had a very hard time running it on that SATAII POrt?

Associate
bungle, pizzaboy thanks for the input, sorry for delay in replying

i guess while delivering more Volts to the CPU is possible ( in BIOS and modding the MB ), it appears the effort to up the volts on the MB for the RAM is not as straightforward a change, i guess i need to look at fast but low voltage RAM - would TCCD chips be an option ? Geil One looks good but not sure if it also expects high volts to operate - need to check.I really would like some decent RAM because it looks like i have a decent X2 ...

So far i've Ran Prime95 for 2hours at 2.4 Ghz ... and thats using a crappy 512MB PC2700 from TwinMos - its accient stuff LOL, i also had a PC2700 stick from Corsairs in there but the PC wouldnt boot the OS when i started OCing, i think it did POST.

So FAR - CPU-Z reports Multiplier at 10 , FSB at 240 , RAM is running at 200MHz, 2.5 Cas 3 3 7 10 & 2T is forced in BIOS, i've had Prime95 running for 8hrs + with the FSB @ 220 , highest temps so far are 39c with prime95 running.... i'm new to A64 architecture but i think this isnt a bad overclock ( thats with the single 512 stick from twinmos )

pizzaboy , withregards to the Maxtor drive, i do have it on the SATA II port. my experience was......

installation of XP

installing XP on Maxtor using the SATA-II port - during the blue screen setup you must supply the drivers on a floppy, the first time the installer asked me for the driver it suceceeded and loaded the driver, but on the the 2nd request for the drivers from a floppy it fails( using same disk ) , go figure.

I switched the Maxtor over to a SATA port and XP installed fine, then i installed the SATA-II drivers in XP , switched the Maxtor over to the SATA-II port - All went well but AT stock speeds.

When i tried overclocking - XP wouldnt boot and the PC was very unstable - unfortunately at this stage i made a mistake , i changed two parameters , i lowered the PCI Express clock to 95 Mhz and i also removed the crappy Corsairs memory stick that i had , so i'm not sure which of these changes had the biggest impact , currently XP is booting on the Maxtor attached to the SATA II port and i'm running at 2.4 Ghz , albeit with 1 *512 MB of RAM.

phew rant over. if i can give you anymore insight on my maxtor experience :) let me know

Associate
my 3800x2 is running at 2.6ghz at stock voltage ,260HTTX10 ,ram sat at 166Mhz wich i think is about 217mhz all sat at 3-3-3-7 1T happy with that without any raise of voltage,

my problem is the HDD'S my Samsung 160gb SATAII Will not run at all on the SATAII Port but just fine on orthers , My Maxtor i have done what you done but i get the Freze off system if i move a large folder "My video's 70Gb" So i going drown the route at selling the two and gettting either A WD250Gb SE 16Mb with A hatichi 160Gb Both SATA II As people has been running them with outany problems

Associate
Hmmm I'm about to start putting together a list of bits and pieces for my A64 build and this board has thrown a spanner in the works.

At the moment I have a very good video card as you can see in my sig and don't feel that I need to upgrade yet, probably not for another 12-18 months so I was going to go for a AGP nForce3 board, then later changing to a PCI-E nForce4 board with a new video card but, after seeing this board I can see that it takes both AGP and PCI-E which is rather good.

Now this may sound "strange" to you all but I don't overclock at all so I'm not really interested in how far this board will overclock so would you recommend this instead of going nForce3 now, then 12-18 months going nForce4

Stu

Associate
any day ,yes i whould ,it is a nice board can do what you ask it to do ,i think a lot of people uses this board as a stop over until this ATI crossfire boards comes out ,
There is a few problems with dif thing not working to well with it ,but if you just running stock you should not have any problems

Soldato
Fireblade2K4 said:
Now this may sound "strange" to you all but I don't overclock at all so I'm not really interested in how far this board will overclock so would you recommend this instead of going nForce3 now, then 12-18 months going nForce4
If you do not overclock it looks like an excellent choice if you want to keep your AGP videocard.

Associate
What 2Gb memory kit would you recommend to run with this board, I've been looking at the Geil Value 2Gb kit, seems to perform very well on A64 systems don't really see fit to shell out £200+ for the Corsair XMS 2Gb kit if the Geil will perform roughly the same as it won't be overclocked, just stock.

Stu

Associate
you need to make sure that your ram does not need high voltage as your option are small , i am using box standard ram running at 2.65V with no problems but with my corsair wich needed 2.85 to run at spec (275 ) wich i had problems with.

Associate
hi again,

what are your thoughts on this OC ?

my X2 3800+ is currently running at 2.41Ghz & prime95 lasted for 13 hours without reporting an error - the temps where 30c idle and 39c at full load - now if i take the chip to 2.51Ghz ( 250 *10 ) or any other permutation on the multipler the PC can barely POST. The volts to the CPU is 1.40v , even if a drop my generic PC2700 ram down to 133 it makes no difference.

i dont think its a memory issue , do you folks think my CPU is pretty much limited to a 2.41Ghz OC , would better memory or doing the voltage mod to the Asrock motherboard help ?

timings are Cas 3.0 Auto Auto Auto and 2T when trying to OC at 2.51 - with such good results on the Prime95 torture test and low temps @ 2.41 i thought this chip surely can go higher :)

Associate
have you not got some Pc3200 you chould thy
with my 3800x2 i am running max voltage (1.40) rm sat at DDR333 runing 3-3-3-3-10 1T and that is just running at217Mhz with Cpu sitting nice at 2.61Mhz HTT at 4X work ok with me , I think it all depends how well your ram ,Make settings has got a lot to do with people having so many problems
i had to get some ouck standard ram just to get runing ok but very happy now with it
and that was going from the corsair Pc4400 wich just did not get enough juice to them..

Man of Honour
pgrillo said:
hi again,

what are your thoughts on this OC ?

my X2 3800+ is currently running at 2.41Ghz & prime95 lasted for 13 hours without reporting an error - the temps where 30c idle and 39c at full load - now if i take the chip to 2.51Ghz ( 250 *10 ) or any other permutation on the multipler the PC can barely POST. The volts to the CPU is 1.40v , even if a drop my generic PC2700 ram down to 133 it makes no difference.

i dont think its a memory issue , do you folks think my CPU is pretty much limited to a 2.41Ghz OC , would better memory or doing the voltage mod to the Asrock motherboard help ?

timings are Cas 3.0 Auto Auto Auto and 2T when trying to OC at 2.51 - with such good results on the Prime95 torture test and low temps @ 2.41 i thought this chip surely can go higher :)

It's a long shot, but have you tried shifting down a multiplier on both of the HTT links (CPU<->NB and NB<->SB)? Your board is running everything a fraction over the set speed, hence the slightly higher than expected CPU clocks. So when you set the base speed to 250, it's actually 251MHz (2.51GHz = 10x251MHz). If you have your HTT multipliers at 4x, that will fractionally overclock them. They are noted for being extremely sensitive to overclocking, though I'd be surprised if 4MHz over would be a problem. It's worth trying them at 3x instead, just to rule out one possible issue. 753MHz on them gives more than enough bandwidth, so you wouldn't lose performance to a bottleneck there caused by the underclock.

I think it's more likely that you're a little unlucky and kit just won't take the base speed at 250MHz. You could test that by trying something like 255x9 instead, and seeing what happens. That'll give you around 2300MHz, which you know your CPU can handle. If it isn't stable, then it implies that the problem is with the base speed (FSB, HTT, LDT, whatever you care to call it).

Associate
hi, i dropped the HTT to 3x & there was no difference - i suspect that the cpu isnt keen on anything above 2.4 Ghz but i'll try your suggestion - however i'm not sure how to interpret if it fails , does that mean the CPU is limited ? ... def gonna do the volt mod for the CPU and bump it up to 1.45 to see if that helps as i think my temps are more than acceptable.

thanks for the input -

edit : i dont have any PC3200 RAM that works on this mobo :) , i bought the PC3200 UltraX-BH5 Geil sticks but the mobo cant supply the 2.8v required according to one of the helpful chaps that replied to my orignial post & the VDimm mod is outwith my skill level.

Last edited:
Associate
bungle said:
Think you'll find it's down to voltage. These sticks need at least 2.8v just to run at stock speeds.
It says on OcUK that the voltages are something like 2.55V-2.95V so dosent that mean the BH-5 should run? if not im screwed because ive just got this motherboard and some Geil Ultra-X BH-5 delievered.

Associate
hi there,

update , i took the risk & bought a conductive pen to perform the cpu voltage mod , I'm now running the CPU with 1.45volts and it boots at 2.51Ghz :) prime95 been running for the last 3 hours , max temps still 39c ... either the temp aint being monitored acurately or the HeatSink ( SI-120 ) is bloody good.

kutmasta, thats exactly the same RAM i purchased , unfortuneatly i couldnt get this RAM to work - i think this mobo can only supply 2.7volts max without some modding , and this mod looks pretty tricky ,you would need to be adept at soldering. OCUK are happy to take it back.

once again thanks to all for the suggestions and input. i think X2 i have is a good un

Back
Top Bottom