• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

**The ASrock 939dual-SATA2 (ULi M1695) thread**

Associate
Simon D said:
Memory Clock 200
Flexibility Option: disabled
Burst Length: 4 beats

i note you are runing at 1/1 - you may be overclocking the memory

The bios labels are wrong (see earlier posts in this thread) - you should leave the memory clock on auto or 166 with Flexibility disabled - to enable the correct divider for your pc3200 400mhz memory

Many ppl are getting this wrong and complain that they cant clock more than 2.4 or the max speed of thier memory.

Last edited:
Associate
Does anyone get the problem of the system freezing with a screething sound after about 10 minutes of gaming, its been mentioned on the OCW forums and it doesnt seem to have been solved.

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry, it was more of a tester than a plea for help, if you had the problem youd know what i ment.
for the record my hardware:

Opteron 146 @ 2000 - 2700 (10 x 200 to 10 x 270 the problem is always present) 1.45v (rail is stable at about 1.47)
Asrock 939 dual
2 x 512 Twinmos PC3200 @ stock (180mhz due to fsb)with 2T set in the bios
6800GT AGP @ Stock
Audigy 2 PCI
IDE HDD
Tagan 480 PSU

Bios 1.2
Pci clocks set to async
flexibility off
cool and quiet off
Memory set to 133

The overclock and memory are both stable in prime and Memtest for 6 ish hours each.

After about 10 minutes of gameing the system will black screen on me whith a screetching noise coming from the speakers.

All of this kit except for the proc and mobo were fine in my old NF7 barton 2800+ rig

Associate
Yep ive tried both of those, absolutely no difference

Agp 4x
Fast Write OFF
ULi AGP Drivers from integrated 2.1

Its pretty frustrating, I was impressed with this board but atm its absolutely no use for my machine, which is primarily a gaming rig.

Associate
@ WILD9. Just a thought - have you disabled the onboard sound in the BIOS? If not, the only thing I can suggest is that you load up the BIOS defaults (i.e. safest and least exciting settings possible) and try to achieve a stable system by gradually introducing changes to the BIOS. That said, the fact that the OC and mem are stable in benches suggests that the problem is software rather than hardware,so it might be to do with patches or drivers. Did you reinstall the OS after installing the mobo. Sorry if you know all this stuff - it's just how I would approach the problem.

Ginga

Associate
First off - My board is on the way. I have been a regular user of ASRock boards in the systems i build for people as they have always been reliable and well featured for a budget board....

HighlandeR said:
After reading the Toms hardware review its a bit daughting cos it shows it somewhat behind Nforce4 boards a 15fps gap in Farcry !

Other reviews dont show that like Ocw and Anands....

Otherwise I woulda loved this board myself.

Q. Can a X2 work straight out of the box on this board?

Oh and its good to see the latest bios fixes the cold boot issues.

There is a review online somewhere, forgotten the link at the moment that had the same problem with a 15fps drop. This was because the memory defaulted to 2T timings and their other review boards defaulted to 1T timings. When the timings were set to 1T there was no fps difference. Will find review and post here.

Associate
I have already tried what you mentioned Ginga Ninja no offence taken tho, thanks for taking the time to try and help. It was a clean install and the crashes occour even with everything set to default except for fast write (off) memory (2T) and Cool and quiet(off).

Im really getting a bit annoyed now, im geting to the stage where im about to ebay my AGP 6800gt and go for a PCIE 7800GT it seems the issue is related to AGP somehow.

Associate
Thanks for suppyling speccs Wild9
What a pickle.

No pci sound card and creative drivers?tried that as well?Switching to onboard for test only.

Im sure you want that to be an integral part of the kit though in the end.

Ive read posts referring to users with other boards having probs with creative drivers.

+ only one stick ram for test(just to be anally nooby)

If this dont fix it...
Then i would reflash the 1.2 bios or if you cant be ars** id just do a 1.4 windows flash.Just to make sure its not a bios thing that would be EXTREMELLY hard to find out otherwise.

Without knowing though id say its creatives sound drivers,Maybe spoiling the fun. :( Dont flame me on this though

Thats all the wild ideas i can come up with

Now if only my monitor would stop that whistling sound

Last edited:
Associate
Other people that have had this problem have had it with 2 and 1 stick of ram. The problem also occours in 3dmark 2005 if i set it to loop a few time, and as far as im aware this makes absolutely no use of the sound card, I may try removeing it anyway.
Im in the middle of selling my AGP 6800GT now, im using it as an excuse to upgrade to a PCIE 7800GT Its a tough life ;). Hope this works though.

Associate
The computer is now fixed all working OK. I solved the problem by loading default settings in the bios, which set the Crucial memory speed to 166mhz.

It would seem that the problem was with the Crucial memory in windows on this MB tested OK at 200mhz with memtest-86 DOS.

thanks for the help.

Simon

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey im thinking of getting this motherboard as a backup in case my main fail`s,the question is i have DDR500 ram if i put it in this board it will runn as DDR400,this isnt a problem i just need to know if i can still run this ram ok.

thank`s :)

Associate
Instability when using 1T

I Have:
This mobo; Opteron 146; freezer 64; 2 x 512mb of XMS3200XLPT or OCZ PC4200 EL platinum both TCCD chiped RAM; ATI Radeon AGP GFX.

If everything is at stock and using memory at 1T, I get boot errors and memtest fails - well it just locks up at 79%. This is using BIOS 1.2. Things seem OK at 2T.

I've changed to ocwbeta2 BIOS and it's still unstable, but less so, as this BIOS defaults to 1T - again memtest fails at 79% all at stock. Have tried both lots of RAM, in both sets of slots - Timings 2.5-3-3-8 on high voltage.

But when using the ocwbeta2 BIOS, the Opteron at 2.8GHz and the RAM on 166 divider and timings of 2.5-3-3-8 2T on high voltage it passes memtest fine.

Is this normal for this mobo or do you think it is faulty?
BTW the Opteron ran perfectly stable in a MSI Neo2 with the same memory running same timings and 1T.

Thanks

T

Associate
clone said:
Hey im thinking of getting this motherboard as a backup in case my main fail`s,the question is i have DDR500 ram if i put it in this board it will runn as DDR400,this isnt a problem i just need to know if i can still run this ram ok.
the asrock runs DDR at the correct speed but the dividers for DDR400 auto detect at 166 (bios wrongly labelled) i suggest you initially set up your ddr500 manually to 1/1 to see how fast it will go.
To obtain the best divider look at my post earlier in this thread.

Topitoff said:
Is this normal for this mobo or do you think it is faulty?
BTW the Opteron ran perfectly stable in a MSI Neo2 with the same memory running same timings and 1T.

Your mobo is not faulty but its very fussy about running some memory at 1T, you could try the OCWBeta3 which has solved it for some along with the 6800 problems others are getting.

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry to change the subject folks, but I was wondering whether anyone is using one of the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi cards with this board. I really fancy one of these but I'm nervous after previous experiences with an Audigy 2 card which caused stability issues on just about every mobo I tried it on. One of my concerns with this board is because ASRock (regarded as a 'budget' brand) seem to be the only takers of the ULi M1695/ULi M1567 chipset, driver testing might be a bit lacking. Anyone got any experience/views?

Back
Top Bottom