• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

**The ASrock 939dual-SATA2 (ULi M1695) thread**

Associate
sata installation enquiry

hi all, ive just received this board along with 2 gig of geil and 74gb raptor.

what settings in the bios do i have to make initially to enable me to install the sata hard drive.

i have my xp disk in, and my sata drivers floppy ready, i press f6 for sata drivers, i later press 's' to install those, but it still doesnt recognise my hard drive. do i have to disable something in the bios?

:cool:

cheers cocker92

Soldato
From what i am lead to believe, you should just be able to install onto your raptor with no problem, you should not need sata drivers, the motherboard should pick it straight up. Just try doing a straight install into the raptor.

Have you got it on the SATA I or SATA 2 plug though, i think your supposed to have it on the SATA I plug (there are 2 the same) and one red i think,

Associate
cocker92 said:
hi all, ive just received this board along with 2 gig of geil and 74gb raptor.

what settings in the bios do i have to make initially to enable me to install the sata hard drive.

i have my xp disk in, and my sata drivers floppy ready, i press f6 for sata drivers, i later press 's' to install those, but it still doesnt recognise my hard drive. do i have to disable something in the bios?

:cool:

cheers cocker92
put it on non raid option

Soldato
How good is the on board sound on this motherboard, as when i get round to building this system up, i wont have bought a stand alone sound card as have not got the money for that what wish xmas. Also on your computer cases at the front we have the headphone and mic sockets, which i quess connect to the motherboard audio pins, YES ?

Well if you later add a sound card, do you then plug the front of the case audio connectors then on to the card, im not sure about this as my present (4yr old) sound blaster Live 5.1 card does not have those pins on the card.

Some help would be usefull on this dilema

Thank you

Associate
ive gone through every page on this thread, and im about ready to start overclocking.

just a couple of questions before i start:-

1.mine has come with bios1.10, whats the best version to use now?

2. whats the best way to install the bios?

i have 2 sticks of 1gb geil, i have them in the blue slots, are they the nbest slots to be in.

all other settings in the bios are normal at the moment, wheres the best place to start?

loads of questions i know, but plenty of people on this thread, so hopefully a few answers

cheers cocker92

Associate
Xeon said:
Your mobo is not faulty but its very fussy about running some memory at 1T, you could try the OCWBeta3 which has solved it for some along with the 6800 problems others are getting.

Thanks; I used the OCWBeta2 Bios and not the OCWBeta3 because the beta3 has the HTT cap at 274. Which memory does this board like at 1T?

Another question; the score i get from 3Dmark2001SE does not increase when I overclock the cpu, same value at 2 as 2.8ghz - I'm using a radeon 9550 AGP card atm. Or am I missing something in the BIOS?

Thanks

T

Associate
Topitoff said:
Thanks; I used the OCWBeta2 Bios and not the OCWBeta3 because the beta3 has the HTT cap at 274. Which memory does this board like at 1T?

Another question; the score i get from 3Dmark2001SE does not increase when I overclock the cpu, same value at 2 as 2.8ghz - I'm using a radeon 9550 AGP card atm. Or am I missing something in the BIOS?

Thanks

T
I really dont understand all the talk about the OCWBeta3 bios being HTT limited to 274, I've been running it at 290 and even 300 stable in SuperPI so I don't think you'll find it is HTT limited.

I'm currently running OCWBeta2 bios at the moment and feel that OCWBeta3 still is the better bios out of them all and I will be switching back to this later.

Stu

Last edited:
Associate
Associate
Topitoff said:
If beta3 has no cap then I'll use that but from here:

http://www.ocworkbench.com/ocwbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=30;t=005271;p=0

it says beta3 has the cap

T
Well I can only speak from experience, I've had the Beta3 bios at 300HTT, it can't go above that unlike the Beta1 bios to be honest which I did have at 310HTT, I've not found any bios so far limited to 274HTT like some posts suggest, even with the stock bios that came shipped on the motherboard v1.20 I was able to clock higher than 274HTT although this was VERY unstable the HTT was not limited in anyway, I will posts some screenies later when I get home to show you guys what I mean.

Stu

Associate
I've loaded ocwbeta3 BIOS and It will boot on default settings but after I set it up for OCing as before WITHOUT raising HTT it fails to boot :confused:

Am going to work through the settings one at a time to find out which one is giving me pain!!

Associate
Had a play around and come to the following:

MObo + 146 Opteron + 2 x512mb OCZ PC4200 EL Platinum TCCD RAM + Radeon AGP gfx.

BIOS 1.20 : Wouldn't always boot; won't run @1T; won't do 280 HTT; some random re-boots.
OCWBeta2 : Wouldn't always boot; won't run @1T; will do 280 HTT; some random re-boots; when doesn't boot re-sets Vcore back to default.
OCWBeta3 : Would boot OK; won't run cpu-nb link speed @600, will do 400 and 800; boots at 274 HTT; doesn't at 276HTT; becomes unstable when DRAM timings entred rather than auto; won't run at 1T.
OCWBeta1 : Boots OK; will do over 276HTT; will allow memory timing changes; best stability; still won't run at 1T.

Am now happy with the OCWBeta1 BIOS as it's by far the best of the bunch.

Hope this may help others who've just got an OEM Opteron.

T

Soldato
Help,,,,,

i finally have nearly all the bits for my new PC but im lost on memory.

I have looked on various web sites and auction places etc (Only reason i look on auciton places is i have a lot of money in Paypal and dont know any PC shops etc that take it on line)

I dont know if my motherboard will take any more than 3200 spec ddr ? will it ? will it also take ddr2 ? I really dont know. No idea at all.

SOme help would be great please, i think ??? I should get 1GB in total ?

Associate
As promised the screenshot of 3Ghz using the OCWBeta3 bios....which you can see in CPU-Z showing as version 1.41 and this is stable in SuperPI.

Ram timings are a bit pap as I'm not able to run dual channel and board does not seem to like my RAM too much, 2Gb kit coming soon though :D

Goes to show this bios is NOT 274HTT capped, non that I have tried so far seem to be either.

Stu

Associate
chef said:
Help,,,,,
I dont know if my motherboard will take any more than 3200 spec ddr ? will it ? will it also take ddr2 ? I really dont know. No idea at all.

SOme help would be great please, i think ??? I should get 1GB in total ?
The fastest actual standard for DDR is PC3200, that's the highest speed you will see in the SPD value. Higher speed RAM is backward compatible on all boards.

The ASROCK 939Dual takes DDR, it does not accept DDR2. There are no chipsets for DDR2 for the AMD64. Since the memoy controller is on the CPU, there probably never will be.

Back
Top Bottom