The Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q – a 27” 1400p 144Hz Monitor with G-SYNC

Soldato
If it's turning OFF and not showing _ANY_ colour it might just be that the Red coloured LED diode is faulty.

You don't have ULMB enabled do you?

Not sure why yours shows as blue/green however. Mine has 3 states - Off/White/Red

Soldato
Looks like RMA time.
If that's the case gutted, ordered it from OcUK as part of the BF deal and only got it yesterday :(

If it's turning OFF and not showing _ANY_ colour it might just be that the Red coloured LED diode is faulty.

You don't have ULMB enabled do you?

Not sure why yours shows as blue/green however. Mine has 3 states - Off/White/Red

Hi mate, ULMB is disabled, if I run the game in windowed mode the light stays blue/green, the second it goes full screen it goes. I'm building my brothers new PC tomorrow which has the same monitor so I'll try my monitor on his new rig and his on mine to double check.

Associate
Come on people get with it and rtfm! It's not the big base light which is always red unless you choose to turn it off via the osd! The gsync indicator is on the bottom right underside of the actual monitor edge. Read your manual for what the colours mean. When it's red gsync is active, and it works 100% accurate.

Oops my bad, never noticed the other LED tbh. Will take a look later to see what mine is doing.

Associate
Just got mine today and overall it rocks. Couple of questions.

1. Changing refresh rate while on windows desktop is very slow as opposed to while in-game, where it is fast

2. When I set it to 120Hz refresh rate, it automatically has ULMB enabled and the screen has poor contrast and brightness with this feature on. When ULMB is off, brightness and contrast work well.

3. On the 144Hz setting, there is no ULMB option.

Are the above normal?

Soldato

1. Changing refresh rate while on windows desktop is very slow as opposed to while in-game, where it is fast

2. When I set it to 120Hz refresh rate, it automatically has ULMB enabled and the screen has poor contrast and brightness with this feature on. When ULMB is off, brightness and contrast work well.

3. On the 144Hz setting, there is no ULMB option.

Are the above normal?

Welcome to the club :D

1. Yes, using the 2nd button up to change refresh rate on desktop, I too find a bit slow compared to games. Don't worry about it.

2. Go to the OSD, 'Image' section and just turn ULMB off for now. Experiment with Gsync fist. It's much more impressive and useful.

3. Yes, ULMB only works between 85hz and 120hz.

:D

Man of Honour
Power LED on mine goes bright red when there is no signal, orange when something is connected but no image to display (first part of POSTing, powersaving/sleep, etc.). pale turquoise almost white in normal operation, pale green in ULMB, pale red gsync, I assume it also changes colour (probably bright green) for 3D Vision but I have my kit packed away in storage somewhere and don't even have the 3D Vision drivers installed.

Soldato
As someone really considering this screen, i would like to think ocUK is better than what you think and wont send b grade stock out unless you order the b grade version.

I don't think it's done intentionally but it has happened to me before

Also to above, FC4 has ghosting when using TMAA. I have posted in the FC4 Games thread

Last edited:
Associate

Are the above normal?

There has to be some movement on the screen for it to change refresh rate. Even moving the mouse is enough though

Man of Honour
There has to be some movement on the screen for it to change refresh rate. Even moving the mouse is enough though

Never noticed that before - I always change refresh rate the "proper" way through the control panel when on the desktop - using the turbo button on mine doesn't actually work with just moving the mouse on the desktop I have to move a window around or open a menu, etc. to make it change - no amount of whirling the pointer around alone seems to be enough.

Soldato
Never noticed that before - I always change refresh rate the "proper" way through the control panel when on the desktop - using the turbo button on mine doesn't actually work with just moving the mouse on the desktop I have to move a window around or open a menu, etc. to make it change - no amount of whirling the pointer around alone seems to be enough.

Yup, I noted the same thing in my video of the OSD (on YouTube, linked in my review).

Associate
Thanks guys, useful info. How much backlight bleed do people have with this? I notice some centrally when first turning it on and load windows but it improves when I test after a few mins with a black background screen.

Associate
I'm a bit unsure on what to do. My monitor has 2 dead pixels, but that's it. Everything else, from backlight bleed etc, is absolutely perfect. I don't know if I should take it back or not as I could end up with another that has problems in other areas. 2 out of 3,686,400 pixels isn't too bad lol.

Soldato
I'm a bit unsure on what to do. My monitor has 2 dead pixels, but that's it. Everything else, from backlight bleed etc, is absolutely perfect. I don't know if I should take it back or not as I could end up with another that has problems in other areas. 2 out of 3,686,400 pixels isn't too bad lol.

My advice would be to check out if you have any major 'inversion' issues or anything more serious first (see posts and probs some are having earlier in this thread).

Mine has a very mild case of these inversion artifacts (slight cross hatching/ screen door effect in fast motion on light coloured areas), but it's only slightly noticeable rarely in some games, and it sounds like a side effect other 144hz panels can have anyway. It's not enough to bother me, and my panel has no dead pixels and is very good on the backlight bleed front and everything else.

Personally I loathe dead pixels, especially if they are in a noticeable area, and I would consider ditching a monitior for them. But, if it's all good on everything else, with some of the bad rogs out there by the sounds of it, it might be worth the trade off.

Last edited:
Associate
If that's the case gutted, ordered it from OcUK as part of the BF deal and only got it yesterday :(

Hi mate, ULMB is disabled, if I run the game in windowed mode the light stays blue/green, the second it goes full screen it goes. I'm building my brothers new PC tomorrow which has the same monitor so I'll try my monitor on his new rig and his on mine to double check.

tash what games did you test? by that font on your second picture, it seems like a blizzard game :) they don't work with gsync, blizzard uses some stupid form of borderless fullscreen window. my diablo 3 doesn't work with gsync.

everything else pretty much does. i had problems with the monitor initially, turbo button wouldn't work, etc. i solved it with reinstally nvidia drivers, but here's the kicker... "SELECT CLEAN INSTALLATION", so the driver deletes everything properly before installing itself.

after that, my turbo button started working and gsync started working properly too.

try that before RMAing

Soldato
Yo mate, yea' the Blizzard games suck with that full screen stuff.

I've tried it on my brothers new rig and I get the same no red light whereas his one does appear with a red light. I have tried clean install... all sorts :(

I've tried
BF
CS:GO
Mordor
Farcry
AC

Thanks though mate.

Associate
My advice would be to check out if you have any major 'inversion' issues or anything more serious first (see posts and probs some are having earlier in this thread).

Mine has a very mild case of these inversion artifacts (slight cross hatching/ screen door effect in fast motion on light coloured areas), but it's only slightly noticeable rarely in some games, and it sounds like a side effect other 144hz panels can have anyway. It's not enough to bother me, and my panel has no dead pixels and is very good on the backlight bleed front and everything else.

Personally I loathe dead pixels, especially if they are in a noticeable area, and I would consider ditching a monitior for them. But, if it's all good on everything else, with some of the bad rogs out there by the sounds of it, it might be worth the trade off.

Thanks for the advice mate. To be honest I think I am going to send it in as take advantage of OCUK's dead pixel warranty. For £600 I may aswell get it as perfect as possible! :)

Soldato
Thanks for the advice mate. To be honest I think I am going to send it in as take advantage of OCUK's dead pixel warranty. For £600 I may aswell get it as perfect as possible! :)

No worries bud :)

I've always been quite lucky on the dead pixels front, and I wouldn't want any at all on any screen, let alone a premium, expensive gaming one like this. If ocuk have a zero dead pixels warranty you may as well use it (unless they really don't bother you)

Back
Top Bottom