The Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q – a 27” 1400p 144Hz Monitor with G-SYNC

Soldato
Some FPS players (and RTS players where higher resolution doesn't increase FoV) play on lower resolution. This is meant to be a competitive gaming / creme de la creme of gaming monitors ... also, legacy games. It's a pretty inexcusable omission if it isn't present on a monitor this expensive. I doubt very much if it's aimed squarely or solely at NVIDIA users, it just includes G-Sync because it's another box to tick and NVIDIA are pushing it. 2560x1440 at high refresh rate is the selling feature, not G-Synch.

Hardware wise, supposedly almost all recent decent monitors support Vblank. Firmware or driver needs upgrading though.

The gsync module replaces the standard controller, if a monitor has gsync then it cant have hdmi2.0 or a scaler, they would need to do a non gsync version for it to have the features you want - by making a monitor gsync they definitely are saying that they only expect nvidia users to buy it

Theres lots of rumours on what freesync needs, the one that makes sense is DDM, that would explain why they needed to use laptops as they rely on ddm usually, but i cant find any decent/recent monitors that use it (again only available via DP and no scaler)
Freesync also relies on triple buffering, so input lag is still a problem

Last edited:
Associate
All we need to know now is whether 3d vision is supported or not. Its my understanding that all gsync monitors have lightboost so I don't see why 3D wouldn't work.

Soldato
OP
I wonder what $800 will work out at when it makes it to the UK :D

I'd love one of these though!

£485 plus tax/vat and any addons, so approx £600

All we need to know now is whether 3d vision is supported or not.
Its my understanding that all gsync monitors have lightboost so I don't see why 3D wouldn't work.

Don't see why not as the BenQ's version supports 3D

Both the Philips and the BenQ work with - you guessed it - 1920 x 1080 resolution as well.
The Philips monitor is the only one in the group to have a color other than black,
rolling with a lovely bright red bit below its face - all in plastic.
You’ll find that the BenQ monitor is set for NVIDIA 3D abilities as well.

source

Last edited:
Soldato
All we need to know now is whether 3d vision is supported or not. Its my understanding that all gsync monitors have lightboost so I don't see why 3D wouldn't work.

Can't see any reason why not, nvidia endorsed, Lightboost 120hz, although it'll need some horsepower to run 3D Vision at 1440.

Associate
People need to remember the more ports on something the more scalers and electronics the signal has to go through to appear on the monitor. The reason the monitor only has one input is to keep input lag to an absolute minimum.

I'm perfectly happy for this to only have one display port — in fact, that's part of the attraction for me.

Price still needs to come down a little though :p

No, the signal only goes through whatever is needed for whatever input / output mode. Basic resolution scaling adds imperceptible amounts of latency, unless it's badly implemented ... other image processing stuff may differ (the latter you can usually disable in 'gaming' monitors.

You don't really think that adding HDMI 2.0 ports, DVI-DL or Thunderbolt would add extra processing or latency if it was connected by DP, or vice versa?

Also, how can having the 'option' of a single DisplayPort be an attraction? You think the price will go up exponentially for a second one or other connectivity options?

Associate
The gsync module replaces the standard controller, if a monitor has gsync then it cant have hdmi2.0 or a scaler, they would need to do a non gsync version for it to have the features you want - by making a monitor gsync they definitely are saying that they only expect nvidia users to buy it

That seems like a pretty horrific engineering fudge ... or a deliberate attempt by NVIDIA to make it as closed and exclusive as possible. With their record, I'd assume the latter.

Caporegime
That seems like a pretty horrific engineering fudge ... or a deliberate attempt by NVIDIA to make it as closed and exclusive as possible. With their record, I'd assume the latter.

Well yer, it is but if you have AMD or something else, you would have no interest in this monitor at all (unless you was switching to nVidia). I don't think this monitor would even work if you was using any other hardware.

Associate
Well yer, it is but if you have AMD or something else, you would have no interest in this monitor at all (unless you was switching to nVidia). I don't think this monitor would even work if you was using any other hardware.

GSync isn't enabled by default and can be turned on or off. The monitor will work with anything that supports DP and can output 2560x1440. If it didn't it's highly unlikely manufacturers would make them without huge subsidies from NVIDIA. Also the backlash and negative PR for NVIDIA would be horrific.

Most people that see the monitor will be excited by its res and refresh rate, rather than Gysnc.

It's possible that Asus signed a deal with NVIDIA to make this their only high res, high refresh rate monitor for a while ... but if not, I can't imagine that they won't release ones without GSynch ASAP, since other manufacturers (particularly BenQ) are likely to release a multitude of different models as GSync seems to be (deliberately) very, very limited in the features it can offer.

Last edited:
Soldato
from what we know about freesync, it is looking like they will be the same - DDM1.0 means Direct Driver Monitor and it also only works via DP and requires that the monitor has no scaler

But PMC is correct, the Asus will still work as a Display Port / 120hz standard monitor when not hooked up to an NVidia graphics card

the only desktop monitor I can find that supports DDM is a Dell 19" 1440x900 from 2011 that is no longer made or sold

Last edited:
Associate
from what we know about freesync, it is looking like they will be the same - DDM1.0 means Direct Driver Monitor and it also only works via DP and requires that the monitor has no scaler

But PMC is correct, the Asus will still work as a Display Port / 120hz standard monitor when not hooked up to an NVidia graphics card

the only desktop monitor I can find that supports DDM is a Dell 19" 1440x900 from 2011 that is no longer made or sold

I don't see why it should have no scaler. Perhaps it will only work when the scaler is inactive, but there should be absolutely no engineering reason why a scaler should be absent.

Associate
I'd like to add to the "less inputs, smaller lag" discussion:
I haven't looked into it more, but that's the general impression I've gotten, too. Another is the omission of OSD and hardware scaler. There were (for example) the Hazro's 27" B-model (don't remember the exact model number) and HP's ZR2740W which both had very low input lags, but were also lacking on the said features.

These were relatively OK compromises for computer usage, but deal breakers if you also wanted to use the set with other devices, like gaming consoles.

With regards to why DP being the only input option would be a good thing:
I think that logic relies on the assumption that offering only one input actually decreases the input lag (like he stated in his post). And I had the same thought-pattern, though personally I would have hoped for a DL-DVI. But if the above discussion is right, then apparently G-Sync only supports DP.

As for active 3D and G-sync:
What happens when the game hangs for a second or there's a more demanding scene and the frames decrease to 10fps? Will the other lens stay black for a longer period? Dynamic framerate would suggest that the "dynamicity" would have to apply to the 3D part, too, would it not? For passive 3D, this wouldn't be a problem, but for active, it probably requires a work-around. Or is there perhaps a safety-limit (like 33ms?), and if there's no new frames given, an old frame is re-painted on the screen? (which kind of goes against the G-sync principle, though)

Again, I haven't looked that much into it, but for a more robust system, it could be possible that G-sync is disabled for 3D, so that the active glasses can operate on static 120Hz (meaning static 8.33ms intervals), like they are now.

Disclaimer: I still haven't looked that much more into the G-sync, so it might be that I'm misunderstanding the whole design concept. My understanding was that G-sync lets the frames "update" on the screen on their own pace, not limited by the static 60Hz or 120Hz timing intervals. In other words, instead of 8.33 - 8.33 - 8.33 - 8.33 ms intervals, they could use 10.5 - 61.2 - 15.0 - 8.33 ms intervals, depending on when the GPU has calculated the next frame. The 8.33ms simply being the minimum interval.

Associate
This looks like the monitor I have been waiting for, unless there is some major issue with it I will definitely be buying one.

Caporegime
GSync isn't enabled by default and can be turned on or off. The monitor will work with anything that supports DP and can output 2560x1440. If it didn't it's highly unlikely manufacturers would make them without huge subsidies from NVIDIA. Also the backlash and negative PR for NVIDIA would be horrific.

Most people that see the monitor will be excited by its res and refresh rate, rather than Gysnc.

It's possible that Asus signed a deal with NVIDIA to make this their only high res, high refresh rate monitor for a while ... but if not, I can't imagine that they won't release ones without GSynch ASAP, since other manufacturers (particularly BenQ) are likely to release a multitude of different models as GSync seems to be (deliberately) very, very limited in the features it can offer.

Fair play. I assumed with the G-Sync module going in placement of the standard controller, it wouldn't work with any other manufacturer. Happy to be wrong on this though :)

Associate
I'd like to add to the "less inputs, smaller lag" discussion:
I haven't looked into it more, but that's the general impression I've gotten, too. Another is the omission of OSD and hardware scaler. There were (for example) the Hazro's 27" B-model (don't remember the exact model number) and HP's ZR2740W which both had very low input lags, but were also lacking on the said features.

These were relatively OK compromises for computer usage, but deal breakers if you also wanted to use the set with other devices, like gaming consoles.

With regards to why DP being the only input option would be a good thing:
I think that logic relies on the assumption that offering only one input actually decreases the input lag (like he stated in his post). And I had the same thought-pattern, though personally I would have hoped for a DL-DVI. But if the above discussion is right, then apparently G-Sync only supports DP.

This is wrong, though. Scalers or additional signal processing can only add latency if ACTIVE. For example all the BenQ gaming monitors have a 'direct' mode that disables additional processing. Dell IPS panels have it. Including the hardware does not add latency or input lag in any way, shape or form. Activating (some of) it will. The Hazro you mention just had minimal processing in the first place, so didn't need a 'direct' mode.

As for more inputs, it's the same story more or less. Unless you're using a picture in picture or picture by picture (split screen) mode, there will be no extra latency having multiple inputs (active or inactive).

Back
Top Bottom