The Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q – a 27” 1400p 144Hz Monitor with G-SYNC

My monitor appears to have forgotten that it's capable of G-Sync, ULMB etc.

I was using all of the modes (and they were all bitchin') yesterday evening and into the wee hours, but now the turbo button does nothing other than display the current frequency, ULMB isn't selectable from the OSD and the option for G-Sync has vanished from NVidia Control Panel.

I thought it might have had something to do with the new drivers which downloaded last night, but I was still using all of the features after they installed, I only noticed the issue when I got back from work today.

I've tried both rolling back and freshly installing the previous drivers but no joy whatsoever.

I'm also getting quite a few "Out of Range" messages when starting up games / benchmarks which were working fine last night.

Don't suppose anyone has any insight?

Last edited:
Sounds silly but tried reseating the display port cable and turning the display off from the mains/unplugging the power adapter from it?

When I calibrated mine it did it via automatic hardware control of the monitor and that messed up my OSD, had to unplug it from the power adapter, wait a bit and plug it back in for the OSD to sort its self out.

OK i've taken some side by side photos of the swift and my qnix IPS. I take back what I said about black levels, the Qnix is a bit better for blacks too (it does suffer pretty bad backlight bleed though.)

Only phone photos and some are a bit on the wonky side so appologies for that. I'm no photographer thats for sure :p

Side by Side
LltrRFc.jpg

Swift
hWsUUgK.jpg

Qnix
TRJ2zds.jpg

Side by Side
25Wcp3L.jpg

Swift
Nx8MK2S.jpg

Qnix
Z2pK8Ni.jpg

Side by Side
ErEpVPZ.jpg

Swift
FmjrW5a.jpg

Qnix
wXnuPkK.jpg

Side by Side
tdvRnyk.jpg

Swift
3qJmeZs.jpg

Qnix
BLvVLsP.jpg

big thanks for that post, yer the Swift colors seem a little muted but nothing to major. The biggest difference I saw was probably in the clouds on the first set of photos do you notice the differnce when gaming ?

I dont feel quite so bad if I have to get rid of my current monitor entirely now. My swift has been order but no idea how long it be.

Sorry don't know this, but How do you limit your frames?

I do it through my config file which sits in *Origin Game Installs\Battlefield 4 using command GameTime.MaxVariableFps 135

Also played with ULMB with it set to 20 today while it was very dark - wow I could instantly feel the improvement over 100 regarding lag. Felt like I was using a CRT again.

Sounds silly but tried reseating the display port cable and turning the display off from the mains/unplugging the power adapter from it?

When I calibrated mine it did it via automatic hardware control of the monitor and that messed up my OSD, had to unplug it from the power adapter, wait a bit and plug it back in for the OSD to sort its self out.

I'm having a quick pint across the road so can't try that out just yet.

Hopefully you're right, but if it turns out that my problem can be sorted by the old faithful "Have you tried plugging it out and back in again?" I should probably hang my head in shame and donate my Swift to a more deserving individual :p

I do it through my config file which sits in *Origin Game Installs\Battlefield 4 using command GameTime.MaxVariableFps 135

Also played with ULMB with it set to 20 today while it was very dark - wow I could instantly feel the improvement over 100 regarding lag. Felt like I was using a CRT again.

Is 20 the lowest it goes? I know lightboost could go as low as 10 but it may work differently.

Is 20 the lowest it goes? I know lightboost could go as low as 10 but it may work differently.

You can adjust it in increments of 1 so it goes lower. Was crazy the difference it made by dropping it to 20 from 100 - everything was very snappy although after a few hours of using GSYNC I could notice the tearing.

Does anyone know if you can go from GSYNC to ULMB in game by simply switching it in the OSD or do you have to switch off GSYNC in the nvidia settings?

OK i've taken some side by side photos of the swift and my qnix IPS. I take back what I said about black levels, the Qnix is a bit better for blacks too (it does suffer pretty bad backlight bleed though.)

Only phone photos and some are a bit on the wonky side so appologies for that. I'm no photographer thats for sure :p

Side by Side
LltrRFc.jpg

Swift
hWsUUgK.jpg

Qnix
TRJ2zds.jpg

Side by Side
25Wcp3L.jpg

Swift
Nx8MK2S.jpg

Qnix
Z2pK8Ni.jpg

Side by Side
ErEpVPZ.jpg

Swift
FmjrW5a.jpg

Qnix
wXnuPkK.jpg

Side by Side
tdvRnyk.jpg

Swift
3qJmeZs.jpg

Qnix
BLvVLsP.jpg

Your a diamond for sorting that. Thank you very much :)

The TN does a good showing here. The colours look spot on too, the muted colours will be effected by the different coatings for sure.

Looks like the Swift could be the best gaming monitor made so far.

Can anyone fiddle around with MAME using this monitor to see how well it works?

Basically every game in MAME runs at a refresh rate other than 60hz. Mortal Kombat, for example, runs at 54hz so is choppy with V-Sync on a normal 60hz monitor.

Your a diamond for sorting that. Thank you very much :)

The TN does a good showing here. The colours look spot on too, the muted colours will be effected by the different coatings for sure.

Looks like the Swift could be the best gaming monitor made so far.

Not to knock the picture compaison - it's nice to see and great effort put in for it :). But don't look too much into it.

Cameras capture colours differently to the human eye. Their compensation mechanisms and operation mean that different colour temperatures, brightnesses etc. can have a significant impact on the image. One monitor can look more muted on a picture but not so in real life. And indeed the colours shown are influenced by the camera, software and of course your own monitor - a poor indication of what you see in real life. Furthermore viewing angle related shift specific to the TN is not captured very well on such photos.

Last edited:
Ok, re-tested 3D Vision, here are my findings:
- No visible ghosting on 3D games
- No ghosting on 3D movies
- 3D movies looks somewhat smoother (less flickery) than VG278HE
- 3D in movies feels more subtle than VG278HE, had to increase depth
- Due to 1080p 3D movies viewed on 1440p resolution, understandably it looks less sharp (not really blurry), and I could pick up these vertical "scan lines" if looking closely
- Ghosting on the 3D Vision setup is still there, but really really faint, the white background just makes the bright green hexagon. You'd have to be staring intensely at the screen to see the faint ghosting.

My conclusion: Negligible ghosting, and I kinda like how 3D movies look a tiny bit less flickery. It's just one helluva monitor :D

Good news, was worried about that.

Only phone photos and some are a bit on the wonky side so apologies for that. I'm no photographer thats for sure :p

Side by Side
25Wcp3L.jpg

You can actually see more detail on the tower thing on the right on picture 2 on the Asus, does this mean the brightness is too high on the right hand monitor or is it just a quirk of the camera?

That's just how the camera has caught the brightness, in person the detail will be there.

Onto the FPS limiting stuff, without gsync is it still advised to limit your framerate? I've just tried 135 and it made FIFA choppy, should I try 143?

It seems that monitors with just a display port connection achieve around half the input lag the older 120/144hz monitors have with dual link DVI.

Last edited:
@Baddass!

If I remember correctly, did you say that it was best to set the colour to Varm on the ROG monitor ?

Couldent find it in the review over TftCentral but maybe it was somewhere in this thread you mentioned it ?

It seem to be the best at Varm, atleast at what my eyes tells me, the white seems right on varm and then just adjust the brightness to your liking, have mine at 25 right now (for 120cdm it was on 18 @tft) :)
Or did I have it backwards, was it best to set it at User Mode and have say, 20 Brighness ?

Best regards!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom