The Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q – a 27” 1400p 144Hz Monitor with G-SYNC

Soldato
Here are my points from the gsync thread.

Some updates on my end.

Tweaks to get Gsync working better:
  • Ensure that your mouse polling rate is set to 1000hz. See blur busters article here.
  • Ensure that you set render frames ahead = 1
  • Internally cap your framerate for 144hz users to 135fps. More information here.

Regarding ULMB, I learnt at blurbusters that reducing from 100 down to 20 almost reduces all lag and after trying it out it was amazing - although after hours of gsync use I could definitely notice the tearing. I suspect this is in part due to the fact that I can't get enough FPS but not sure. The only downside is the brightness.

So the good news for me is that the gsync experience is much better now - I would say the degree of lag is on par with ULMB @ 50->100. However, after playing around with ULMB at lower settings I could really feel the responsiveness. If nvidia do work out how to combine these two technologies the experience would be flawless.

I'm going to continue messing about with these settings over the weekend so will keep everyone posted.

Last edited:
Associate
The problem is that when you run into the 144hz monitor refresh rate cap, gsync effectively works a bit like vsync and you get input lag. So setting a cap slightly bellow the monitor refresh rate eliminates that problem. Other then that, it should be lag free, but might be a problem with BF4 specifically. How does it feel with ULMB mode active and low settings?

Just went to switch that on and its ghosted out now even with G-sync disabled i cant turn that on any more but did have it on the day one when i got the monitor ,rebooted PC and was still the same ghosted out .So have no clue why i cant turn that back on ,The only thing that's changed is a new driver came out the other night 340.52 other then that nothing as changed to make it ghosted out .

Here are my points from the gsync thread.

I'm going to continue messing about with these settings over the weekend so will keep everyone posted.

Ill check that out if i ever get ULMB back on again . Made a thread over at nvidia not that they can be bothered to reply ..

Associate
I think ULMB only works @ 120 so you'll need to dial it back a bit.

Not tested extensively but mines working perfectly from what I've seen.
BF4 super smooth and only after I came out realised SLI was off! (pair of 780s) Mind you, coming from an 8 year old dell screen so it's a heck of an upgrade.

Had to re-install my drivers though as the latest ones messed up on the initial install. Couldn't even see g-sync in the options. All good now though with those same ones...

Associate
Hey guys!

Wondering about getting a colorimeter just for the Swift but thinking is it really worth it ?

I have read that calibrating your monitor is only useful in Windows. But the games overides it anyway so no use for gaming, is that really true ?

Btw, how are yours setup for gaming, what colour temp and brighness do you use ?

Associate
The OSD settings is overdrive and the higher its set the faster the pixels will change. TFTCentral recommends keeping it set to normal for best results as extreme adds pretty bad overhsoot which will lead to trails/ghosting. Also make sure you have set your refresh rate to 144hz in nvidia control panel (cant remember if it defaults to that). If you press the turbo button (above the power button) is should say turbo 144hz on screen. (I was under the impression that this button was supposed to switch between the different refresh rates but it doesnt for me, just lets me know which refresh rate i've got it set at in nvidia control panel).

My settings fully calibrated are:

Colour Temp: User Mode
Red: 95
Green: 95
Blue: 100
Brightness: 24
Contrast: 50

That gives me a white point of 6505k with a brightness of 120cd/m2 which is what I like best. Any brighter and I find it way to harsh. I'm coming from a 1440p IPS and the colours while not as deep/rich are still very good in my opinion. Much much better then my old benq 11t which was horrible.

Results
7ZqlxTdl.jpg

What Colorimeter do you use for calibrating the monitor ?

Soldato
Hey guys!

Wondering about getting a colorimeter just for the Swift but thinking is it really worth it ?

I have read that calibrating your monitor is only useful in Windows. But the games overides it anyway so no use for gaming, is that really true ?

Btw, how are yours setup for gaming, what colour temp and brighness do you use ?

ICC profiles are created on and for a desktop environment. Games use their own baselines for gamma and colour values, tending to vary most on titles that ignore Windows colour management entirely. By applying an ICC profile you can end up introducing more issues than you solve, especially on a monitor like this where there is absolutely no need for one.

And it's worth remembering that white point varies between individual units and brightness should be set according to preferences and lighting. So these are things you have to work out for yourself. A colorimeter can be of great benefit in setting those sorts of things up nicely even without ICC profiles.

Associate
I think ULMB only works @ 120 so you'll need to dial it back a bit.

Not tested extensively but mines working perfectly from what I've seen.
BF4 super smooth and only after I came out realised SLI was off! (pair of 780s) Mind you, coming from an 8 year old dell screen so it's a heck of an upgrade.

Had to re-install my drivers though as the latest ones messed up on the initial install. Couldn't even see g-sync in the options. All good now though with those same ones...

ULMB Yeah i forgot it needs to be set to 120hz. One thing i find kind of strange and i never noticed until i checked again both ULMB & G-sync where on at the same time how can both be on at the same time ....

All so found using one 780 and set to 120hz seems smoother then 144hz with sli ,makes no sense to me .. Even with it smooth there is still some thing about it that's giving me a headache ,Where as with my other monitor on 120 no g-sync and nothing set to cap fps or any thing was smooth as butter and never got a headache ,yet i get headache after playing one game with this monitor ... I really love the higher resolution ,

Soldato
ULMB Yeah i forgot it needs to be set to 120hz. One thing i find kind of strange and i never noticed until i checked again both ULMB & G-sync where on at the same time how can both be on at the same time ....

All so found using one 780 and set to 120hz seems smoother then 144hz with sli ,makes no sense to me .. Even with it smooth there is still some thing about it that's giving me a headache ,Where as with my other monitor on 120 no g-sync and nothing set to cap fps or any thing was smooth as butter and never got a headache ,yet i get headache after playing one game with this monitor ... I really love the higher resolution ,

I guess you mean with ULMB?

Associate
ICC profiles are created on and for a desktop environment. Games use their own baselines for gamma and colour values, tending to vary most on titles that ignore Windows colour management entirely. By applying an ICC profile you can end up introducing more issues than you solve, especially on a monitor like this where there is absolutely no need for one.

And it's worth remembering that white point varies between individual units and brightness should be set according to preferences and lighting. So these are things you have to work out for yourself. A colorimeter can be of great benefit in setting those sorts of things up nicely even without ICC profiles.

Yeah I heard that you shouldent really use an ICC profile that some other have made for their unit, as you say it will be different from unit to unit and maybe even what else hardware you also have. So thats what I dont get it that TftCentral says, please use our profiles, dont seems right at all heh.

Yeah I notice how white drastically changes dependent on how you set up the brightness, so I will play around and find what I like best then :)

Btw, what colour profile in the OSD do you use yourself, Varm or ?

And a big thank you mate, for learning me how it works, appreciated a lot :)

Soldato
Yeah I heard that you shouldent really use an ICC profile that some other have made for their unit, as you say it will be different from unit to unit and maybe even what else hardware you also have. So thats what I dont get it that TftCentral says, please use our profiles, dont seems right at all heh.

Yeah I notice how white drastically changes dependent on how you set up the brightness, so I will play around and find what I like best then :)

Btw, what colour profile in the OSD do you use yourself, Varm or ?

And a big thank you mate, for learning me how it works, appreciated a lot :)

No problem. :)

I'm not sure what you mean by 'Varm' and colour profiles in the OSD though? :confused: Could you take a picture of the settings?

Man of Honour
@Baddass!

If I remember correctly, did you say that it was best to set the colour to Varm on the ROG monitor ?

Couldent find it in the review over TftCentral but maybe it was somewhere in this thread you mentioned it ?

It seem to be the best at Varm, atleast at what my eyes tells me, the white seems right on varm and then just adjust the brightness to your liking, have mine at 25 right now (for 120cdm it was on 18 @tft) :)
Or did I have it backwards, was it best to set it at User Mode and have say, 20 Brighness ?

Best regards!

not sure what you mean by Varm, or do you mean warm? don't think i've recommended anything other than the settings listed in the TFTCentral review under the calibration section. to be honest, with such a decent out of the box gamma and white point, all you really need to adjust is brightness to get a decent picture. i don't think you'd see much real difference if you then calibrated it with a colorimeter unless you were doing matching between different screens/devices. plus as PCM2 has said, profiles are lost during games and movies anyway on the most part.

you could always just try the calibrated profile from the TFTCentral review anyway combined with the recommended OSD settings :)

Associate
No problem. :)

I'm not sure what you mean by 'Varm' and colour profiles in the OSD though? :confused: Could you take a picture of the settings?

Oops, sorry I of course mean Warm on the colour settings on the monitor :)
Spelled really bad there mate, runs and hide away in shame :rolleyes:

And about that colorimeter, sounds like a good idea as then it will tell me whats the best values correct ?
For an e.x, use 26 brighness for daylight and calibrated for low light evening/night gaming, e,x brightness 19 with R 94 - G 87 - B 99!

Then it's really seems like a good idea to get one, but maybe i dont have to fiddle around as you guys says it's so good as it is, but just incase I want one say maybe an Spyder 2 Pro or Elite.

Thanks again for your time :)

Associate
not sure what you mean by Varm, or do you mean warm? don't think i've recommended anything other than the settings listed in the TFTCentral review under the calibration section. to be honest, with such a decent out of the box gamma and white point, all you really need to adjust is brightness to get a decent picture. i don't think you'd see much real difference if you then calibrated it with a colorimeter unless you were doing matching between different screens/devices. plus as PCM2 has said, profiles are lost during games and movies anyway on the most part.

you could always just try the calibrated profile from the TFTCentral review anyway combined with the recommended OSD settings :)

Yeah I spelled really bad there, I mean Warm, sorry about that, runs and hide :rolleyes:
I must have remember totaly wrong there, Will do as you say and just play around with the brighness, have tried with both Warm and User mode and I dont see that much of a difference anyway, just as you said :)
It just seems a little more bluish on the Warm mode tho.

Now I will enjoy some games as the monitor just scream, feed me games you clown and stop all this nonsense about what colour here or there and enjoy me .. LOL

So thats what I will do :D

Thanks a million for the answer Baddass!

Last edited:
Associate
I used a spyder3 pro to calibrate my screen but only because I have one to hand. I wouldn't go out and buy one just for this monitor. Best just to try out different settings to see what you like.

Associate
Yes - some people dont like the strobing. More info here: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/motion_blur.htm

No I was using G-SYNC when I got the headache .. But I did notice in game there is motion blur now which I never noticed before , Switching over to BenQ there is no motion blur and set to *120hz *1080p .. I cant work out whats going on .

Things that I've tried so far ..

Changed the game and desktop to *120hz from *144hz and vise versa enabled G-sync If I had it switched off for other testing so re-enabled that ..

Locked or capped FPS ingame in console and made sure by adding that to config file in the BF4 folder with *143fps/*144hz then tested at *119fps/*120hz capped .G-sync on G-sync off no matter which way I set it on or off lower the fps to cap or higher the fps and cap with which ever hz the game was still feeling stutter and motion blur ,

Switched off one card to test then switched one back on again after one round G-sync enabled then disabled the G-sync and then the game become smoother with G-sync disabled and one card . In game V-sync off even tried with V-sync on when G-sync was enabled vise versa , Changed all ingame video setting to from ultra to low was more FPS but that should not get affected if G-sync is enabled so long as I don't drop below *30fps ,But the game was not smooth when set this way it was still showing signs of stuttering and motion blur ,I was starting to think was it the mouse then I switched to another mouse that I just got last week from overclockers and was still getting same problem ,So then I made sure both mouses were set to *1000Poll and yes both were ,I've not tried any other game with this monitor . Then I got to thinking maybe its windows then I remembered it was only about two weeks ago I re-installed it .Even checked to make sure there is nothing that would make the game play up running in the background ,but even if there were that would not make the game have motion blur .

So I at a loss right now .. No wonder I have headache lool :)

Oh and one other thing ,I all so noticed when I was in game and pressed ESC to go to menu my mouse cursor was skipping around when moving ?

Last edited:
Associate
The only other thing id suggest is to make sure that overdrive is set to normal in the OSD and to try another game to see if its just a problem with BF4. If it is just BF4 then try to reinstall BF4 itself

Associate
The only other thing id suggest is to make sure that overdrive is set to normal in the OSD and to try another game to see if its just a problem with BF4. If it is just BF4 then try to reinstall BF4 itself

But i have two installs of BF4 one Retail one CTE and get same problem in both and there both about two week old install's , All so seen others are having a great time in BF4 with out problems using this monitor ,Now I know that not to many people have this monitor yet and from them that I've seen that do have it there is nothing but good feedback ,I really just starting to wonder if I am too picky ..but just seems strange how a none G-SYNC can out perform a G-SYNC well for me any way same game same system just switch over monitors and boom no motion blur and no stuttering smooth as butter .So if that's the case how can it be game ? Really starting to think that maybe I just an unlucky guy and maybe got a faulty monitor .

Problem is now i am kinder worried that if there is a fault and i at to send back to Asus I would have a monitor returned back me that looked like is was in a dumper truck for a week, seen to many bad things about Asus support ,people getting there monitor back marked and scratched ,

Back
Top Bottom