The Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q – a 27” 1400p 144Hz Monitor with G-SYNC

Man of Honour
I would run ulmb in desktop tbh and switch to g-sync for gaming regardless of what frames I was able to push, it's gotta always be a better experience with synced frames right?

One question not mentioned anywhere, does g-sync still work in 3D vision mode?

You wouldn't want to run ULMB in desktop as it introduces a noticeable flicker in static images. Okay useful for gaming where you want to remove perceived motion blur, and aren't using g-sync

Associate
You wouldn't want to run ULMB in desktop as it introduces a noticeable flicker in static images. Okay useful for gaming where you want to remove perceived motion blur, and aren't using g-sync

Okey so that ULMB makes the picture flicker like an old CRT screen then ?
Not that I would use ulmb annyway, just wondering :)

But to be frank, is it really a big difference with it on vs off ?
I mean the screen is superfast as it is, correct ?

I have the VG278H and I belive this PG278Q will be way faster right ?

Btw, I am more the happy with the motion clarity with my VG and the new ROG will be even faster + g-sync will make this the ultimate monitor for me I guess and then the 8 bit and 1440P, well I will be in gaming nirvana im sure :D

Associate
Been informed by what I consider a reasonably reliable source that they now won't be shipped anywhere in Europe until 1st week of August at the earliest. He said definitively that they won't make July.

Make of that what you will.

Re: BA's review. It seems to perform very well ... but that disfunction when it came to the one AMD card tested raises a few questions. Another monitor deviating from VESA specs?

Edit: Also happy to see that it has been 100% confirmed as an AUO panel. Competing offerings (hopefully with more features / connectivity - i.e. no Gsynch) should be incoming soonish, or whenever the exclusivity period runs out.

Last edited:
Associate
I thought ulmb was like the light boost hack but built in?

I didn't have flickering on my benq when I ran it...

Can't say I was very impressed with what I saw of Lightboost on the few setups I've seen it running. On the other hand, the native to monitor and software agnostic '240hz' (strobing) on the Eizo FG2421 was amazing, even if the unit I saw had a bunch of other problems. I'd be interested to see how ULMB compares.

Soldato
Its what a proper review looks like. I think we have got a little brainwashed by the subjective rubbish we have seen before and after this review was published.

Associate
Would it be a waste of money if i were to buy this monitor to use with Crossfire 290x's?. Ive been waiting for a 1440p 120hz+ monitor since i built my pc late last year, wanted to stay away from the Korean monitors but my patience is running thin and this monitor could be the answer. Or would i be simply overpaying for technology which i cant use? thanks.

Sem

Sem

Soldato
Would it be a waste of money if i were to buy this monitor to use with Crossfire 290x's?. Ive been waiting for a 1440p 120hz+ monitor since i built my pc late last year, wanted to stay away from the Korean monitors but my patience is running thin and this monitor could be the answer. Or would i be simply overpaying for technology which i cant use? thanks.

Wont be a waste IMO

im using SLI 780s but i see 1440p and 144hz as the features i want most

g-sync is just the icing on the cake

Associate
Objective data is way more useful than cursory subjective data (especially in regard to the mechanical way your eyes view motion). Pull this link up on your display at 144 Hz and then in 120Hz 10% Lightboost mode and I guarantee you will see a huge difference (you must have a high FPS compatible web browser):

http://testufo.com/#test=photo&photo=eiffel.jpg&pps=1440&pursuit=0&height=0

Watching that animation on my 60hz monitor is more effective than sticking my fingers down my throat.

Soldato

If you're happy paying for the price hike for technology you won't use then I think its fine. It's still going to be the only 144Hz 2560 1440 monitor out there.

Associate
Already have a Benq XL2720Z with V2 firmware but after looking at the TFT Central review I can't resist getting one of these! Now what to do with my old monitor... :|

Back
Top Bottom