The Baja - Progress Thread

Soldato
I would be a bit concerned that the orientation and height of the turbo will make it drip empty of oil when left and take a few seconds too long for the oil pressure to get up there to protect the bearings. Should be OK if left idling for a minute or so before being revved.

Soldato
OP
Few more bits arrived in need of adapting...

Baja%20Turbo%20Air%20Intake%201.JPG

Baja%20Turbo%20Air%20Intake%202.JPG

It actually fits.
Baja%20Turbo%20Air%20Intake%203.JPG

Another step closer to being complete.
Baja%20Turbo%20Air%20Intake%204.JPG

Soldato
Dude, that is looking awesome!

I missed this thread first time around back in 2008 god knows how!!

My brother is seriously into his VW's mainly restoring the campers though, will need to link him to this.

Good job :D

Associate
Looking good mate! I've been shown this project once or twice over the years, but only just started using the forum. Great to see how it's progressing! Been wanting to get a baja for a while now (2007 was my dubbing year, had 2x1968 beetles, and spent a LOT of time on VZi. I've kept plenty of beetle bits in reserve - a decent exhaust, a stinger, a progressive carb, some 5x112 drums and front arms and a rev counter. Probably more stuff I can't remember!

Turbo should be fun :D

Do you find the tyres ever catch the wings? It's got very soft suspension. And I'm sure there're ways of getting rid of the rear camber without going IRS setup - possibly making hubs that automatically give negative camber, so you end up with neutral? I can't remember what the rear hub design is like tbh, I've not looked at one in nearly 4 years!

Soldato
OP
Looking good mate! I've been shown this project once or twice over the years, but only just started using the forum. Great to see how it's progressing! Been wanting to get a baja for a while now (2007 was my dubbing year, had 2x1968 beetles, and spent a LOT of time on VZi. I've kept plenty of beetle bits in reserve - a decent exhaust, a stinger, a progressive carb, some 5x112 drums and front arms and a rev counter. Probably more stuff I can't remember!

Turbo should be fun :D

Do you find the tyres ever catch the wings? It's got very soft suspension. And I'm sure there're ways of getting rid of the rear camber without going IRS setup - possibly making hubs that automatically give negative camber, so you end up with neutral? I can't remember what the rear hub design is like tbh, I've not looked at one in nearly 4 years!
You sound like you've got more spares than me.

The rear tyres only catch at extreme angles or jumps. There are a few ways to fix the rear camber. The cheapest is to lower it - which wouldn't help with the rear tyres catching. So I'd have to run smaller tyres. The more expensive options are IRS, or reduction boxes. Both require replacing the gearbox, so out of the question at the moment.

I'm going to try to add dual shocks once I get the engine sorted -so that my help with the harder impacts.

Associate
Haha, yeah, I have too much stuff sat in the shed!

If you don't want/need to run dual shocks (will take some fabricating of mounts etc won't it?) then go to a suspension manufacturer and they can make some with adjustable damping and spec your spring rating (or springs can be had from someone like rally design with a higher poundage).
I used to work for Spax, so know what I'm talking about (mostly), but I'd not recommend them, their customer service is aweful. Example product would be the CSX though, we specced it for several people who were lowering splitties and bugs etc, but perfectly suitable for going longer too, and it's a coilover so you can adjust the height by adding preload. Just before I left we were producing prototypes of DECENT dampers for T2 detectives to start selling for example, instead of the crappy Chinese stuff these were previously selling because (best reason ever) of the COLOUR. They wanted a specific colour :p

Soldato
You really need to consider relocating the turbo, running it like that is guaranteed to make it burn large quantities of oil and is likely to starve the compressor side bearings of oil.

Soldato
You really need to consider relocating the turbo, running it like that is guaranteed to make it burn large quantities of oil and is likely to starve the compressor side bearings of oil.

Could move it on the exhaust mounting around so that its mounted horizontally rather than vertically.

Then if you are struggling to make the outlet side line up with your throttle body you can still rotate the two housings which might make it easier.

Soldato
Another idea for turbos needing oil, could you rig them to be on their own oil circuit, matched with a nice electric pump to keep them fed, or is that way ott?

Wanna see some progress on this beast!

Back
Top Bottom