The Baja - Progress Thread

Soldato
OP
Well, I dont know how many are keeping up with this thread - but for whoever is - here's a nice update.

Got the majority of the car all done now. The engine is working beautifully, everything is looking as it should. Aside form a few minor adjustments I'm ready for VW Action.

So as the Baja it practically done, I thought I might try and take a few 'keepers' before I trash it. Plus, I need to get some practice in with the DSLR, I definitely need more practice doing HDR shots.

So....

SarahDunes1.jpg

SarahDunes2.jpg

SarahDunes3.jpg

SarahDunes4.jpg

SarahDunes5.jpg

Then - these are some of the HDR's that I've created. As you can see - flags and HDR are not a good mix. I'm will bring a camera mount to Action so I can get these good and steady. These were just by hand - and you can tell where its blurred.

SarahDunesHDR1.jpg

SarahDunesHDR2.jpg

Ahhh - I wish this had come out perfectly. :(
SarahDunesHDR3.jpg

SarahDunesHDR4.jpg

Soldato
Tasty. Car's nice too ;)

Why the "before I trash it" - are you planning a spectacular ending to it or something?
Would be a shame for something so nice - 5 star thread for sure!

Soldato
OP
was wondering when she'd make an appearance

i still remember those bike photos lol.

Project looks about complete, any other plans for it ?
There's still a few minor things for this stage.

I mislaid my quarter vent covers when I repainted it. Can't for the life of me find where I put them. I fear I chucked them out with the brushes. So, I'll pick a new set up at Action.
Matching front tyres - however thats really more stage 2.
I still need to weld the seat fixings down properly. They're fine at the moment but not gonna be that great when I'm mid air.
I really need new track rods. Needed to adjust the tracking, but they were rusted solid. So had to cut and bodge it last weekend. Not sure I'll be able to fit it in before Action though.

Stage 2 will probably be for next year, and budget dependant.

IRS is the big one. Really want independant rears so I can raise it up more, and push the rear wheels out further without adding more camber. However this really is a professional job - at least welding the extra bits in is as it has to be perfectly aligned. Then it means a new gearbox, springplates, axles, + more. Quite pricey.
Raised spindles and cut and turned front beam - for more front end height.
Roll cage.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Why the "before I trash it" - are you planning a spectacular ending to it or something?
VW Action Off Road event. Its the official VW Baja club meet and there is an off road course.

I was fastest round the track last year, and I'm intending to repeat my success. Did take a fair bit of damage doing it though - so I'm half expecting the same again this year.

Nothing that can't be fixed though. :p

Caporegime
Bugone - On a serious note if you want a photoshoot done of the Baja with said wife I can sort something out :)

Pay for me petrol (I'm only in Essex so not far away) and we'll call it sqaure and I'll sort you out with some proper photos :)

Soldato
OP
No helmet required on the track/course!? :o
Last year things were a lot tamer and its only this year we started pushing our cars a bit harder. As a result, next year new safety standards will be introduced. Helmets and roll cages will be mandatory for anyone wanting to take place in the timed laps and a 'no air with passengers' rule will be introduced. We will also be increasing the exclusion zone between the cars and the spectators. :)
Why exactly did you choose this car?
Are you asking why I bought a VW Baja? If so..

As a kid, one of the first cars I loved was a VW Baja. I had a picture of one on my wall (as well as a lambo). When I was 15 one was up for sale near where I lived and I wanted it so bad, but my dad wouldn't let me buy it. Ever since I've had a soft spot for them, although not really ever seeing them around, I didn't really think about it. However a few years ago I saw the same car that I was going to buy many years ago parked up nearby and it got me thinking about them again. I didn't have car at the time as I was using a motorbike to commute to work, so I had a quick look on ebay, and there was one for sale that looked - well a bit ropey, but it had an MOT and was a good start. So I bought myself a project.

As a classic car - a beetle is simply the best car to own and work on. Unlike all other classics, every part of the car is still available for sale. You can buy brand new panels, rubber, engine components. Not only can you buy VW parts, but there are whole host of high performance upgrades available. Its all in metric sizes and can be worked on with only a few tools. The Baja modification makes it even easier to work on giving extra clearance to the underneath and engine.

As a 'toy' its great. Its by no means a fast car, but its a real challenge to drive and certainly gets noticed. It draws a crowd wherever I take it. Last time I drove to KFC and parked in the high street I came out to quite a crowd all looking and waiting to me to start it back up. Plus of course there is a huge scene with VW's. There's always a show or a club to meet up with. This month my car is pictured in Volksworld Magazine driving at VW Action. Plus I can also join in with off road clubs. We had an evening greenlaning with the Northants4x4 club. I'm currently looking forward to doing an event with a local 4x4 club called the Raging Rhinos.

Plus another bonus is that its tax exempt, and only costs £100 a year for classic car insurance. So although a lot of work to keep 'alive' its quite economical as project cars go. :)

Soldato
OP
A bit of an update. I've been working on improving its off road ability. Simple things really, but took a far bit of work.

I've got an adjustable beam on the Baja. Would be perfect if I wanted to go lower. However I thought I'd have a go at adjusting it up a bit. You can see in this pic from VW Action, its sitting a bit lower than it could be. You can also see why I need a new bar. That buggy one isn't going to do much other than hold the cibies.

FrontUp1.jpg

Task 1 - Raise the front end.

So, into the businesss end. The adjusting nuts look like they are up as far as they will go.

FrontUp2.jpg

So, out with the dremmel and I'll see if I can make a bit more room.

FrontUp3.jpg

I noticed the adjusting nut is longer one one side, so I turned that around.

FrontUp4.jpg

And managed to get the adjuster around a lot more.

FrontUp5.jpg

I also managed to get the top one a bit further around as well, but no pics of that.

Task 2 - The new bar

The bottom fittings are pretty easy. Now the upper mountings are a bit more of a challenge.

FrontBar1.jpg

The driver side is a bigger problem as there isn't much of a surface to mount onto.

FrontBar2.jpg

Time to do a bit of fabrication. This is my adaptor for the drivers side.

FrontBar3.jpg

And the passenger side.

FrontBar4.jpg

Driver side mounting fitted. (you can also see a bit of 'bodywork modification' to make it fit)

FrontBar5.jpg

Passenger side mounting fitted (and painted).

FrontBar6.jpg

Now the car is back on the ground, you can see how much higher the suspension is sitting. A good couple of inches gained there :D

FrontBar7.jpg

The end result of my days work. :)

FrontBar8.jpg

(Think I might have to relocate my indicators now :lol: )

Soldato
OP
Day two. Fitting the rear cage. Painted it first.
Baja%20rear%20cage%20001.jpg

Well, that's the lowest point I can put the tow bar, so that's where it will have to go.
Baja%20rear%20cage%20002.jpg

I've mounted it to the arches (plus you can see an example of why an arc welder is rubbish for bodywork. :lol: )
Baja%20rear%20cage%20006.jpg

with a hefty bit of bar the other side.
Baja%20rear%20cage%20007.jpg

Hmm. Well, its mounted and very strong (I can stand on it without it flexing) however its clearly a few degrees off level. I think I'll have to wait till after Big Bang to sort that out. Oh well function over form for now. :|
Baja%20rear%20cage%20010.jpg

I've also added an extra bar to the front bar. I was worried that if I took a big impact, it would transfer the force to a twisting motion onto where it mounted on the beam. So by adding these bars, it will now press against the front of the beam instead of twisting.
Baja%20rear%20cage%20024.jpg

I also re routed the fuel line from underneath to inside the car. Should make grounding out a little less nervy. :p

So thats where I am. Much better off road ability.

Soldato
OP
going to big bang?
if so see you there, the track I'll be on is much much smoother ;)
Yep. I'll be there Sat and Sun. You racing your Bug?

The Baja club are running an off road track this year. Should be a bit of fun.

We're currently debating what the track should be like. I want it really rough and inconsistent instead of the padded down ramps like at Action. Should be a more interesting challenge. Slower, safer and more entertaining.

Its been quite short notice, so I don't think many of the Baja club are able to get their cars there.

Back
Top Bottom