The Batman (Matt Reeves)

Soldato
Having more time to reflect on this. This ranks as one of the worst Batman films, up there with George Clooney's Batman and Robin.

It starts of well, like the overall atmosphere. Batman being more a detective was nice and the Batmobile entrance was epic. Everything else was not good. There was a number of decent set piece but they didn't gel well.

The story was dreadful, it's the most simple plot dragged out over 3 hours.

Is Batman invincible now? Walks up to armed gangs like he's a ten man army, gets blown up by a bomb, shot at by a whole police station, face plants a bridge at high speed and walks it off.

And the ending was just the icing on a cake.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Really enjoyed it.

I do wish it had the courage of conviction to really nail the gothic themes it was going for but I think in general it found a nice balance. The screenplay was a little shakey on it's feet and that was very evident in the third act. The bait and switch I didn't like at all and I echo the notion that it maybe could have been trimmed down a little, but it's still the best Batman since the Burton films. So much better when compared retrospectively to the Nolan trilogy which I now find to be a joyless, boring character study of a dullard. This movie isn't ashamed of it's source material where I feel those movies where. I even prefer the Schumacher films to those, but I'll admit I've always enjoyed them more then most.

I now feel the same about Batman as I do about Bond. It's really, really cool to see how different generations of filmmakers translate the character and it's mythos and make it their own.

Soldato
I was just about to buy this film on itunes to watch tonight
But after reading some the replies in here on how bad this film is meant to be am not sure if i want to buy & watch it now :(

Soldato
I really didn't get this movie. I like the setting, the sound track and the mood.

Robert looked good as batman but just so wrong as Wayne. Cat girl was just ridiculously annoying and the plot just seemed to jump around all over the place.

I wanted to really like this one but apart from the gritty batman fight scenes and setting it felt just a bit dead.

Caporegime
I thought it was great, a refreshing break from the super hero norm because, surprise surprise, it isn't a super hero movie. It was more a neo-noir lite with detective work and some action.

I actually think I liked his Batman more than any others, and I can forgive the Bruce Wayne bits because he was still young, we are just so used to older playboy Bruce (which Bale did best).

I put it just behind The Dark Knight.

Man of Honour
Shame they didn't go full on noir like with it really - I think that would have worked especially with Pattinson.

How disjointed it was and the way it took a lot of time to develop some aspects and no time to develop others felt quite off-putting watching it I really found it hard to enjoy - in some ways the whole movie felt like an answer in search of a question.

Back
Top Bottom