The BenQ EW2420: Too good to be true?

Yeah i think ill send it back
coming from a dell 2407 i thought i might end up judgeing the screen with my dell

but it was more after my bro and my wife saying the net looks washed out that i knew it wasnt me

if i go to like e bay or av forums its nearly white the yellow on the bay is terrible

i notice it more on orange and red,yellow more than any other colour

ive tried just about everything you guys have advised and nothing seems to improve these colour in particular

Have you also installed the driver that came on the CD? I don't think that a hardware calibration would really help. He has tried all hardware settings under the OSD and if the gamma curve is tweaked using ICC that's no good for his gaming.

at first i couldnt install the driver as it wasnt windows 7 [64 bit compatable]
but got it working later

ive even been trying the ATI catalyst to get theings better

I think that will be the same, it's just the USB and the design of the monitor that varies. Looks like the screen itself is identical, but I can't say 100% for certain.

****I am not a regular reviewer of computer hardware but thought I would share a unbiased opinion on this monitor for the people that are having difficulty deciding.****
That was a very good review, considering it's your first one, thanks for taking the time to write it up :)

does anyone actually know what the difference is between these 2 monitors.

EW2420

VW2420H
You can see the differences of those two monitors in the photos on this page, as well as the BL2400PT which also uses the same panel : http://computer.u-3c.com/article711.htm

There's also a comparison chart of specs near the bottom. The site's in Chinese, but you should be able to make out what the figures and model numbers refer to, if not then just look at the Google translated version.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned I don't think, is that the EW2420 has built in 1.5w speakers, where as the VW2420H doesn't. This is probably accounts to why it's much heavier (6kg vs 3.9kg) and thicker, plus the fact the EW2420 has an internal power supply. The speakers are likely to be tinny and just plain awful, but at least it has some I suppose.

Other differences from what I can tell, some of which Legend has already pointed out, are the EW2420H has a 4 USB port hub, 2 HDMI ports (VW2420H has 1), you can use a VESA mount on the EW2420H - the VW2420H cannot, the power button and OSD controls on the EW2420H are along the side, the bezel/general aesthetics are different such as the matte section on the back of the EW2420H and the light grey border along the bottom where the speakers are I believe, the input connections on the EW2420H are facing downwards (which is better in my opinion) as well as having a Line In and Out.

The BL2400PT is similar to the EW2420H but swaps the 2 HDMI ports for a single DisplayPort, loses the USB hub but has as fully maneuverable stand (height, rotation, tilt & swivel). The bezel is fully matte as is the the screen (the EW2420H and VW2420H has a semi anti-glare coating) and the biggest difference is the BL2400PT has an ambient light sensor at the front that changes the brightness of the screen on accordance to the surrounding light. From what I can tell on that Chinese site as this isn't mentioned on the BenQ product page, it also doubles up as a movement sensor so it turns itself off if it detects no movement.

I think that's everything, the VW2420H is the no frills model, the EW2420H seems to be the best overall for general use (particularly since it has 2 HDMI ports) and the BL2400PT is the business model.

From looking at the prices, the BL2400PT might not be a bad choice considering it's stand, but the lack of HDMI might put off some as well as the full AG screen. The VW2420H is clearly the worst, considering how close it is in price to the EW2420H which has more features, I don't see why anyone would want to get one, unless they really like the look of it.

While I'm at it, I'll link this unboxing video of the EW2420 where they run through it's specs and show the semi-gloss screen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLcfpF9u9QM

Last edited:
"I'm not sure why you would be viewing your monitor from this angle. Because if you are you are a retard and should be shot"... Haha - quote of the day. Lovely video review there (but I see what you mean about the backlight bleeding on your unit).

@doc.

I have used plenty of broad-gamut units. The colours on this are obviously not THAT vibrant because this is a standard gamut unit. The colours are still very vibrant for a standard gamut screen, due partly to the semi-gloss screen and of course excellent contrast. I am fairly sure from your description of this 'haze' that your monitor has a gamma issue. Do you get a sense of Deja vu reading the following? http://www.pcmonitors.org/monitor-reviews/dell-st2320l

If so don't waste any more time - send it back on Monday before it's too late. And just to check - you aren't sitting off-centre (to the right of the screen in particular) are you?

"I'm not sure why you would be viewing your monitor from this angle. Because if you are you are a retard and should be shot"... Haha - quote of the day. Lovely video review there (but I see what you mean about the backlight bleeding on your unit).

@Doc.

I have used plenty of broad-gamut units. The colours on this are obviously not THAT vibrant because this is a standard gamut unit. The colours are still very vibrant for a standard gamut screen, due partly to the semi-gloss screen and of course excellent contrast. I am fairly sure from your description of this 'haze' that your monitor has a gamma issue. Do you get a sense of Deja vu reading the following? http://www.pcmonitors.org/monitor-reviews/dell-st2320l

If so don't waste any more time - send it back on Monday before it's too late. And just to check - you aren't sitting off-centre (to the right of the screen in particular) are you?

im sitting right in front of it mate

but yeah deja vu all right just like it says very similar the whites are bleached there seems to be no way i can tone it down
ive tried all the settings recommended and its still hazzy

the bit from the review [the image appears bleached with excessive white ] is so true

Back
Top Bottom