The BenQ EW2420: Too good to be true?

I couldn't stand that on the ST2320 and even mentioned that it could've just been my individual unit. But I was only marking what I had seen in my own unit and the score at the end suffered badly because of it.

"I'm not sure why you would be viewing your monitor from this angle. Because if you are you are a retard and should be shot"... Haha - quote of the day.
Unfortunately NCX misses the point about gamma shift when he states: "I'm not sure why you would be viewing your monitor from this angle. Because if you are you are a retard and should be shot".

The problem is not so much that gamma shift is visible when you're sitting at 45% from three feet away, as that it makes the image *inconsistent* - unless you're a hammerhead shark, you're *never* going to be seeing the whole width of the panel from the same angle, particularly with a 24" 16:9 AR monitor, and at "normal" PC working distances (I'd suggest 18" to 2ft is more usual than the 3ft camera position in the review).

I do realise all these panel technology quirks affect different people in different ways and to different degrees - the left-right gamma shift issue does probably bother me more than most, hence why I keep droning on about it. However, as well as being annoying in itself (to me at least), if it's present to a significant extent, then from a purely objective viewpoint it's likely to limit the monitor's usefulness for any sort of colour-sensitive work.

No I completely agree. I don't think NCX (or myself for that matter) is reviewing this monitor from anything other than an entertainment point of view. I have already commented in my draft on the gamma shift issue as for many people out there this will be a problem. And kmetek it is 'semi-glossy' (closer to matte than glossy) - don't confuse people.

thanks for your detailed post crackerbear :).

I have gone ahead and ordered the EW2420 for £170 inc delivery, i hope i willl be pleased with it as i mostly watch dvd's and only play wow online so not exactly a FPS :). A nice upgrade over my old sammy 2232bw.
Thanks for the reviews guys.

Craig

I have gone ahead and ordered the EW2420 for £170 inc delivery, i hope i willl be pleased with it as i mostly watch dvd's and only play wow online so not exactly a FPS :). A nice upgrade over my old sammy 2232bw.
I've done a fair amount of research on the monitor, but am still deliberating whether to buy one or not, so I'd value your opinion of it when you receive yours :)

so
EW2420 best choice GLOSSY
BL2400PT good choice NON GLOSSY
VW2420H worst choice? GLOSSY
In my eyes, that's how I see it, but it depends on what people want. Bear in mind I don't own any of the BenQs, so take my opinon with a pinch of salt.

All 3 units are roughly the same price as each other here in the UK and given they all use the same panel, it's likely they have the same image quality. So therefore it boils down to which features you prefer.

If you don't care for HDMI and want a good, proper stand then BL2400PT is going to be the "best". You can get DisplayPort > HDMI adapters so it's not the end of the world, but I'm not 100% sure if they carry sound.

The VW2420H looks to be a bad choice to me, spec wise. As stated earlier, the price is about the same as a EW2420 and yet has less features. Unless you want a thinner screen (which can't be VESA mounted) and want the power/OSD controls along the bottom which is handy for multi-monitor setups, I can't see why you'd choose it over the EW2420.

That leaves the EW2420 which just seems like the best compromise for general purpose use.

As PCM2 has already said, the VW2420H and EW2420 have semi anti-glare (AG) coating on the screens, making them semi glossy. I was under the impression the BL2400PT had a full AG screen, but someone on another forum who actually owns one has said:
The panel on the BL2400PT is half glossy, half matte (i don't know if it's exactly a 50-50), so i believe it's the same coating for the BL an the rest of it's "brothers".

I've done a fair amount of research on the monitor, but am still deliberating whether to buy one or not, so I'd value your opinion of it when you receive yours :)

i will certainly come back with my opinion :), also got 1 of these to go with it, should make up for the stand.
ImageHandler.ashx

i emailed the seller
and he replied

[Can I please ask which part of the distance selling act you are exercising?]

what im i expected to say i thought there was only the distance selling act

Hang on.. You got it from an individual? Well this shouldn't change things anyway.

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/bus...ral/oft698.pdf

Quote that URL and let him know that it is made abundantly clear throughout the document that a consumer must be able to try out a product (as they would be allowed during face-to-face sales in a shop) - this is the whole point of the distance selling regulations.

Paragraph 3.58 in particular -

"Can I insist that consumers who cancel an order within the
cancellation period return the goods as new or in their
original packaging

No. Consumers are under a duty to take reasonable care of the goods
while in their possession as discussed in paragraph 3.44. The DSRs
allow consumers to examine goods they have ordered as they would
in a shop. If that requires opening the packaging and trying out the
goods then they have not breached their duty to take reasonable
care of the goods.
In these circumstances you cannot insist that
consumers return the goods as new or in their original packaging.
You may ask consumers to return goods with the original packaging,
but you cannot insist on this."

Last edited:
(Apologies for this long and somewhat off-topic post, but it's mainly quotes)

Most if not all the e-retailers I've seen have added little clauses to their terms & conditions generally saying you can return any item under DSR providing it's unopened or unused/in original condition.

Here's what some sites say:
7. Cancellation Rights, Returns and Refunds

7.1 Under the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 you have a right to cancel your purchase. However, to exercise this right you must notify us via email within 7 working days from the day after you receive your goods.

7.3 No right of cancellation, refund or return exists under the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 once you have used your product, unless the product is defective and you are returning it for this reason.

7.4 Goods that are sealed or shrink-wrapped and this is removed can only be returned if they are defective.

7.6.3 Repackage the product in its original packaging, including any accessories, brochures, manuals, guarantees or warranties that came with the product. Unfortunately we will be unable to issue a refund where the product is in an incomplete state.

7.7 If the original packaging surrounding the product has been damaged or destroyed we will only issue a refund if the product is being returned due to a defect. If the original packaging of a defective product has been damaged or destroyed you should ensure that the returned product is adequately packed for shipment back to us.

Change of Mind Cancellations

Your product must be complete and in "as new" condition e.g. if you have opened the box to examine the product you must have done so without damaging or marking the product or packaging. It must not have been used or installed. It should be returned with the original box, packaging and accessories you received with it. Mini-discs, memory cards and software must still be sealed. Any "Free Gifts" received with the product must also be returned.

Unwanted product

* In all instances your product needs to be complete and in 'as new' condition e.g. if you have opened the box to examine the product you need to have done so without damaging or marking the product or packaging. It must not have been used or installed. It should be returned with the original box, packing and accessories you received with it.

If you change your mind

If you have simply changed your mind about any item ordered and you wish to return it, then in line with the Distance Selling Regulations (DSR) you can do so provided you inform us of your decision within 10 days of receipt. The item must not be used and must be 'as new' when returned to us. Once you've informed us that you wish to return goods under the DSR, you have 28 calendar days to do so, at your own expense. Once the item is received at ******.com, we'll issue a full refund for the product to your original payment method. Please note this policy has some limitations and does not apply to business customers.(The Distance Selling Regulations do not apply to @work customers or our Business customers)

Unwanted Items

Under the Distance Selling Regulations (DSR), most items can be returned by consumers for a full refund or exchange providing you notify us of your wish to cancel your order and return the item or items within seven days of receiving them. All items must be in an as new condition and in the original packaging. The packaging must not have been damaged or altered by the customer and all items must be unused with all seals/shrink wrap intact.

Any items that were specifically ordered for the customer, or altered or customized to the customer's specification, or pre-recorded media and software of any type, cannot be returned.

These and any other purchases that do not fall within the Distance Selling Regulations normally can not be returned, however if we are able to accept return of these items there may be an admin fee of 25% of the item value (min charge of £25 ex VAT).

I mentioned this in another thread, that it's impossible to test a unit if you cannot open the box and have a look. CaptainCrash pointed out (here and here) that despite whatever these online stores may have in their T&C's, they can't change the DSR law where you're legally allowed to examine a product as if in a real world store. The online stores will probably through some nonsense your way, but the law's the law, they can't make up their own rules and hide behind it.

Anyway, THE DOC, isn't your unit actually faulty? You don't have to go through all the DSR legalities and just return as being faulty which is far easier.

Yeah your right
he actually emailed me a few mins ago asking if it was faulty

i i said it was there seems to be a problem with the screen being washed out

ill see what they say now

Here's a couple of user reviews (albeit in non-English) I found:

A positive German user review on the EW2420: http://www.testberichte.de/r/produkt-meinung/benq-ew2420-254249-1.html (Google translated version, also quoted below)
Advantages: Large screen size, Good resolution, DVI - Input, Low Power Consumption
Disadvantages: No DVI - Cable enclosed
Suitable for: Games, personal enjoyment at home, HD - Content
I am: Students

I have been a number of hours the owner of a BenQ EW2420. At first I was skeptical about whether the 250 € are invested sensibly. If one looks at other computer LCDs with a PVA panel, the prices are going fast in the 600 €. However, I am the PVA panel is as important as this type of panel has a very good viewing angle and the colors are better.

After I had turned the EW2420, I was very impressed by the colors. Unlike my previous Samsung SyncMaster 223BW monitor, the colors are much clearer. In a direct comparison of the Samsung is much paler and the colors with a yellow tinge dar. I was surprised because I use the Samsung for quite a while and I noticed it was before.

The angle of view with conviction. Unlike other monitors with TN panels are noticeable, in fact, in the view angle change very little difference. Only the brightness varies a little, but the picture is very clear. So another plus for the EW2420.

A small flaw I noticed, however. The surface of the display is not completely anti-reflective coating, but there is no glare display. If the screen is off, you can see played at a moderately high ambient light some parts of the environment. In strong light in the back, can also occur when the screen is a reflection. Actually we have never so much light in the back.

With the connections BenQ has certainly not been stingy. 2x HDMI, 1x D - sub 1xDVI and more diverse the integrated USB slot through a hub can be controlled. A really nice thing in my opinion, as it NEN on the desk every now and need USB slot. So I have no annoying cables lying around more and can put my USB stick directly into the screen.

The piano finish is a bit strange. If you like it always is brilliant well served, who is not so on it has in the world and screen problems. Meanwhile, the product market with this "feature" is so overwhelmed.

The controls are located on the right side (next to the display). In my opinion, clumsy for something. I bought the screen because I want to use two monitors. Now my old screen is unfortunately on the right side and now I can not provide directly to each other because I EW2420 indeed yet to turn. What should have added to BenQ is probably a rotating base. But the video as many positive impressions left that is not strange. You should just be aware simply that turning the screen is not done with a finger.

Among the speakers I can not comment because I have not been tested. But since I have a plant, I will not use them well, too.

The response time is 8ms as compared to conventional monitors with TN is much higher (usually so the 2ms). However, I have already tried a few movies and games and it could not find anything disturbing. It is also probably the case that monitors with PVA panels generally have a slower reaction time.

All in all I am very happy with the BenQ EW2420. If you are looking so a 24 "Full HD with PVA panel and use it against the piano black finish, nothing that is certainly pleased with this screen.

A very negative review by an Italian user on the VW2420H: http://www.hwupgrade.it/forum/showpost.php?p=33501913&postcount=97 (Google translated version, also quoted below)
The Benq VW2420H (NB: for me that I come from WMI with NEC 231-IPS panel), I repeat the Benq VW2420H is **** !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Caution, however, my assessment is made by the foundation from which I come, that is the NEC 231-IPS panel with wmi.

But anyway I think cjiunque now has a monitor with a TN panel if you only purchase this Benq VW2420H would notice an improvement in contrast and nothing more:

1) The colors of the Benq in question are very very cold so that they are identical to those of TN on my laptop.

2) Not only that, any shade of color tends to yellow!
The display OVERSATURA colors towards yellow colorimetry returning a non-natural !!!!!!!

This does not change from pure acting INPOST the menu!

3) The viewing angle is a fake, because already at 170 degrees as the blue x green .... in short, has the flaws typical of a TN!

Now it may be that this is caused by the backlight LED edge, in any case, the angle of view distorts the colors move from left to right and vice versa or da''lato down and vice versa.

4) The only positive note this is the Benq in the high contrast.

But the last point in my opinion, does not justify the purchase of the monitor even if you are coming from a TN panel !!!!!!!

Basically my advice is do not buy it!

If you have to spend a number, date, IPS panels go on whatever it is !!!!!!

I using the right to cancel I ordered, giving the difference to the shop Dellon Ultrasharp 2711!

I repeat do not buy the new BENQ, because compared to last generation of TN you would notice no obvious improvements in color, whereas, again, that the BenQ VW2420H oversatura TOO towards yellow ... basically leaving out the cool colors and yellowish above.

If dovede spend money, buy an IPS panel!!

.............. never mind the chatter in the Benq issue costs 230 euro, and that is what it costs, or CIPP NA!

Even a medium-IPS like the NEC 231wmi my beloved is much higher, the colors are alive, idem x black.

Now I go to Dell U2711 also because I want a big monitor and the Dell if it hears very well.
It sounds like the Italian user may of had a faulty unit as he complains of a yellow tint which I've not seen anyone else having. Also he does state he's comparing the BenQ to his old IPS monitor which may be unfair.

Well I'm comparing it to the majority of screens I've just reviewed (which are IPS), a high-end CRT and a monitor with a coloured LED backlight array - and it's damn good.

Last edited:
Ordered one, will be here this week. Will see how it turns out. Has to be better than my HANS-G 22" 1680x1050 LCD :)

Will report back on how it performs.

Thanks

Would you consider direct replacement from Benq as below?

DOA Management (Dead on Arrival)

First Contact in case of DOA:

BENQ

Period of DOA:

15 Working Days from end user purchase

Procedure of DOA:

Customer to call BenQ on 0207 216 0039 to log DOA CHECK STATUS OF RMA - 0871 855 3167

I RECIEVED THIS BACK IN REPLY THIS MORNING
I wdont want a replacement i want a brand new screen

Back
Top Bottom