The best thermal paste to get?

Associate
Has anyone here tried Arctic MX-6 yet? If so how does it compare to MX-4?

I have used both and I used MX-4 for years before swapped it 6. Swapped to MX-6 last year when I upgraded to a 7900x, theirs is not a lot in it between MX-4 and MX-6 and I do think MX-6 is better.

But if your on a budget, just get MX-4 as you will probably not notice the difference.

Last edited:
Associate
Not sure about cpu, but Kryonaut Extreme always lasted around 6 months before it got pumped out from gpu waterblock(and temperature delta increased by 5-6 degrees). Will never buy it again.

Soldato
I've accumulated a tube of mx-4, Noctua nh1? Whatever it's called and a tube of thermalright.. The latter two came with coolers.
I just use whichever one I happen to grab first.

Associate
New stuff, similar to PTM7950. Can' find any reviews yet, interesting if it performs same or better than PTM7950.
On CPU there's not much difference for AMD, good old MX-4 does the job and no pump-out. Intel's high-end CPUs are quite powerhungry, there might be already pump-out effect as with GPUs.

My reference 7900XT had pump-out and i went for PTM7950, temps are great and should last "forever".

Last edited:
Permabanned
Over the years, I've used both name brand, and stuff that came in the box... For example Recently with my recent Thermalright PA120SE's freebie stuff as had nothing lying around and fancied some mythbusting...

I repasted it a month later, on 2 different occasions, with 2 different brands as a mate literally gave me some as he had a massive comical size tube of, and neither of the 3 were any better than the other. At best I think you might save half a degree.
As the above chart shows, unless it's chemical metal, it won't be real world any better.

I think it's just a way of scene brand band wagon marketing nonsense personally. I spose there's 'no harm' in every company doing it, as if they all perform just as good you can't loose, but these people trying out different brands and actually believing they're going to get a gain, need to get a life/better heatsink/fan! :cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
Can vouch for Thermal Grizzly :)

Meh..

I forgot to mention in post #48 I delidded my old 6600k with thermal grizzly kryonaught several years ago...and also re-pasted my GPU at the time (rx480) with it.... made pretty much sod all difference to CPU or GPU. ...there was a slight improvement but difficult to quantify, it certainly didn't make things worse.

I wouldn't bother re-pasting anything unless it's running hotter than usual, or if you are dismantling things anyway to fit a new cooler or whatever... it's a waste of time IMHO.

Last edited:
Soldato
New stuff, similar to PTM7950. Can' find any reviews yet, interesting if it performs same or better than PTM7950.
On CPU there's not much difference for AMD, good old MX-4 does the job and no pump-out. Intel's high-end CPUs are quite powerhungry, there might be already pump-out effect as with GPUs.

My reference 7900XT had pump-out and i went for PTM7950, temps are great and should last "forever".
The stuff is terrible, barely peels off and when it does I encountered ripples. After watching youtube on PTM 7950 this never occurred, but I have just purchased some Upsiren PCM-1 as it is a degree or two better and is thicker. Also it was £11 for 80x80, cheap as chips.

Last edited:
Associate
MX6. Not expensive, easy to apply and won’t pump out.
Used to use only Kryonaut, but performance degradation was quick. Not worth the hassle.
Used the Gelid GC extreme for my 4080, but it also didn’t last very long. Will use MX6 next time.
As others said, not much difference between the good ones. More about easy application and longevity.
Mounting pressure and surface finish will have a bigger impact than any thermal paste will ever have, hence the Thermalright coolers performance.
TFX is a bit harder to apply, but also a good thermal paste considering it can be found for under 7 quid.

Back
Top Bottom