The Boys (Amazon Prime)

Soldato
Urban's accent never really bothered me but to tell the truth I didn't realise his char was supposed to be British until a few episodes in anyway, he probably sounds just like a London cab driver to the US audience mind xD

The thing I found distracting at times though were the age related casting issues, I.E Pegg playing the father of somebody who looks too old to be his son (excusable as he was given the role as fan service due to it being the father of a character inspired by himself) and Starlight going on about how she idolised Deep/Maeve/etc growing up despite looking the same age as them, I guess her char is supposed to be late teens/early 20s in the comics?

*EDIT*

I just looked it up and the actress who plays Starlight is 8 years younger than the one who plays Maeve, so either she hasn't aged as well or they made some questionable choices with the makeup lol.

Soldato
Watched episode 1 last night and this has real potential.

I think it took me 25 minutes to settle into the tone and be sure I was going to like it, my wife probably 40. But by the end of the episode it showed huge promise.

Soldato
Really enjoying this, finished ep5 last night. It's a shame it's only 8 episodes.

I am however waiting for the scene where Starlight finds out about Hughies side project and we have the whole, "you used me, i thought you liked me", "i did use you but then i fell in love with you" generic scene.

Caporegime
Because he was raised by the Vought corporation. It's literally all he knows. He absolutely could do a cheeky genocide or two, it just hasn't occurred to him yet. That's the whole point of the premise - what happens when these demigods decide they have better things to do than maintain their popularity?

Yes, i get that, but the show has clearly implied Homelander knows, why is he still playing it up? He has every reason to just flatten Vought and kill lesser beings, and chooses not to.

I can only assume he didn't want to do it due to his mother figure.

I guess finding out he has a son might take over from his obsession with her though, making him think twice about just obliterating everyone he sees

Soldato
I binged this over the weekend and enjoyed it. I've not read the comic it's based on and didn't really know anything about it heading into it, but the trailers looked good and it delivered imo. Urban's accent was a bit bizarre, it honestly took me a while to realise he was supposed to be a Brit, because his New Zealand accent crept in quite frequently, and Pegg was underused throughout, but other than that I didn't have too many complaints. I understand it adapts the source material quite majorly in parts, but as someone who hasn't read it that didn't bother me. I'm looking forward to season 2.

Associate
As above, I knew nothing of the comic book . Binged watched the lot over the last few days and enjoyed it . Pretty brutal in places , and yes his accent was funny . Some familiar faces popped up in it too, looking forward to the next season.

Soldato
Yes, i get that, but the show has clearly implied Homelander knows, why is he still playing it up? He has every reason to just flatten Vought and kill lesser beings, and chooses not to.

I can only assume he didn't want to do it due to his mother figure.

I guess finding out he has a son might take over from his obsession with her though, making him think twice about just obliterating everyone he sees
He's strong, but he's not invincible. And he can't be sure the majority of supers would side with him if he did decide to go full Mega-Hitler. Most of those that don't side with him would fight against him, and they could pose a serious threat if they ganged up. So it's not as easy as just one day deciding to go rogue on a whim.

Soldato
I binged this over the weekend and enjoyed it. I've not read the comic it's based on and didn't really know anything about it heading into it, but the trailers looked good and it delivered imo. Urban's accent was a bit bizarre, it honestly took me a while to realise he was supposed to be a Brit, because his New Zealand accent crept in quite frequently, and Pegg was underused throughout, but other than that I didn't have too many complaints. I understand it adapts the source material quite majorly in parts, but as someone who hasn't read it that didn't bother me. I'm looking forward to season 2.
They've changed loads.
For example, in the comics, Compound V is The Boys' main weapon against the supers. It's not some unknown thing they have to discover. Frenchie actually likes Butcher and is on friendly terms. The Japanese woman is a long-standing member of the group, not a newcomer. Hughie is Scottish. Butcher has a dog called Terror. The big reveal at the end of the series, I'm pretty sure that's not in the source material at all, but maybe I'm just forgetful.

So yeah, they're definitely going in their own direction in the show, and I'm thinking comic spoilers probably aren't really going to be show spoilers.

Soldato
OP
Watched episode 2 tonight, familiar enough to the comic that I'm recognising things and different enough it doesn't feel like a re-tread of familiar ground.

Bit sad there's no Terror though. :(

Soldato
Finished ep 8 last night.

A little disappointed with the end. I prefer where a season is it's own story line and gets wrapped up and perhaps teases to how the next season might start. Stranger Things S1 was a great example of this. Still, I did enjoy it overall.

Soldato
Finished ep 8 last night.

A little disappointed with the end. I prefer where a season is it's own story line and gets wrapped up and perhaps teases to how the next season might start. Stranger Things S1 was a great example of this. Still, I did enjoy it overall.

Agreed. They were hedging their bets that it would get renewed (im sure it will as it's really rather brilliant), but i would have preferred a more clinical ending/conclusion.

Definitely one of the better series released in recent months.

Don
Urban's accent never really bothered me but to tell the truth I didn't realise his char was supposed to be British until a few episodes in anyway, he probably sounds just like a London cab driver to the US audience mind xD

The thing I found distracting at times though were the age related casting issues, I.E Pegg playing the father of somebody who looks too old to be his son (excusable as he was given the role as fan service due to it being the father of a character inspired by himself) and Starlight going on about how she idolised Deep/Maeve/etc growing up despite looking the same age as them, I guess her char is supposed to be late teens/early 20s in the comics?

*EDIT*

I just looked it up and the actress who plays Starlight is 8 years younger than the one who plays Maeve, so either she hasn't aged as well or they made some questionable choices with the makeup lol.

If you check out the age of the actors, the age difference is actually very viable.

Pegg was 22 years old when Quaid was born.

Soldato
Pegg was 22 years old when Quaid was born.
I said he didn't look old enough to be his father not that he wasn't old enough, it's probably a case of Pegg looking young for his age and Quaid looking old for his age. However like I said it's not completely immersion breaking (like the Starlight and Deep/Maeve issue whenever she mentions growing up idolising them) though it is funny that most people who hadn't read the comics thought they were flatmates until he called him dad xD

Back
Top Bottom