The BumblBuild-[Scratch Build]

35ey74D.jpg

Right all,
I'm here to give you all a wee update and to throw what's going on with me, and what I'm thinking about right now.

So first things first, I'm a games dev by passion. I'm currently doing a game jam to 'make a game in a month'.
This jam ends on Saturday so I might have to park updates till I'm done, but we'll see :)

This weekend I got far less than I wished to get done, Christmas shopping etc. so the feet aren't done :(

Also some of the screw holes need a few 'adjustments' with a file :/

On the hardware front (the fun stuff) it's looking like I'll grab the CPU, Mobo and PSU this month (Don't tell my other half and I'll hide the credit card bill ;) )
I'll try and take some decent pictures this time, any advice? I'm thinking higher f (f20?) more light.

Also I may add a 'to do list' to the OP, score off as we go, for your and my benefit :p

ANYHOO!

Here's some pics from the weekend, not the most Ideal location in the spare room so pics pretty meh:
z5pFZZD.jpg
HWDfMLV.jpg

First of the Feet:
1cC3Lq9.jpg

Fantastic to see someone making something themselves.

Thanks, it's quite fulfilling to make it tbh, though I really want my pc now :p

35ey74D.jpg
Hey all, As I said, kinda slow on updates but It'll come in drips :)

I am thinking about the mobo tray and humming and haaing about it.
Something about plastic makes me fear for the mobo etc..... considering making a metal one?
Anyone with more experience who can instil confidence in it?

Also I talked about a to-do list, so Here goes:
-Adjust feet holes so the feet attach.
-cut and file the rad mounts for airflow
-file the pillars to make the rads less 'snug'
-cut and file the PSU hole.
-sand case
-Paint case
-Polish feet

That SHOULD be the case frame done after that..... I hope :D

final wee bit, my feet need polished etc, but baby steps :P
4JWqoW9.jpg

Looking good! :)

I really like own build systems, I wish I had the craftsmanship required. :(

Looking forward for this one.

Totally agree with you! Quite curious as to how this one turns out - this must be definitely one of the most unique builds I've seen if not the most unique! Subscribed!

Looking good! :)

I really like own build systems, I wish I had the craftsmanship required. :(

Looking forward for this one.

Craftsmanship, I'm not really that good, a lot of asking questions and taking your time.
you should pick a small mod and have a bash :D

Totally agree with you! Quite curious as to how this one turns out - this must be definitely one of the most unique builds I've seen if not the most unique! Subscribed!

Thanks, that makes me feel really good about attempting this :)

Oh this looks very nice

Thanks, welcome aboard :)

Wee update, I bought the mobo, cpu and psu in black Friday deals :D

35ey74D.jpg
Hey all,

Game jam over, If you want a link to my pretty low attempt at a game just ask, I'm not forcing it on you :p
Here's a quick update, BLACK FRIDAY!!!

PSU, CPU and MoBo

Also my new phone in the pics, because why not :D

g8nGofq.jpg

The one+1 nice phone indeed. I was going to go for it from the Nexus 5, but chose my Xperia Z3. My only gripe with it is the slow updates, might consider building some custom roms, once the device tree's are updated.

Anyway, back on topic.

I find that I like to improvise and mess about with thing, I suppose when I have some more free time i'll have a bash at something. I fancy a modified Air 540, but who knows.

Anyways nice nerd pron there. :D.

The G7, oh the days! I still have mine, on android 4.4.4 mind. :D

If you like to tinker the One +1 is the better option, I bet roms are cooked like hotcakes on that thing, if you into that sort of thing have a look on XDA-Developers, i'm also on there as russell664, recognised contributor too. (If you need any help or advice on anything PM me) :p Well happy only took a year on rom development. :D

Anyhow, that really sucks in regards to the Z3, stupid carriers. :( Usually I buy my phones outright, but got a good deal on the Z3 so was like, why not?

Are you planning on glossing your frame, and paint parts of it yellow and black, like a real bumble bee? Because I reckon it would look boss! :)

I might take you up on that offer, for now, focusing on this build :D

Now hardware's here I Really need to get a move on!!

in terms of painting... I was thinking Matt over gloss.
just as this is the frame when together:
d7zLwai.png

And once the panels are on, there's only the smallest amount of the frame visible:
oidGJpS.png

So I don't want a shiny bit catching your eye.

I also Have 50 UV lights I might put in left from another project, But dunno, might cheapen the look.

I have brought metal to work with me....Something about that plastic MoBo tray....it's putting me off lol
I'll see if I can attach the Mobo to a metal panel, just so in my heart I know it's secure :p

I also Have 50 UV lights I might put in left from another project, But dunno, might cheapen the look.

I have brought metal to work with me....Something about that plastic MoBo tray....it's putting me off lol
I'll see if I can attach the Mobo to a metal panel, just so in my heart I know it's secure :p

Personally, I think the metal panel for the mobo would look better, or a least 'blend' in more with the framework. +1 Vote for a metal plate. Would you be painting the plate black as well, if you go for it?

Looking forward to this one. Subbed
Welcome :D
Subbed! - Good job so far all looks great.
Personally, I think the metal panel for the mobo would look better, or a least 'blend' in more with the framework. +1 Vote for a metal plate. Would you be painting the plate black as well, if you go for it?

Well I'm not in the mood for buying more metal, so The plan is prep this metal to maximize area (sadly it's not big enough to replace the mobo tray) and maybe set it in the plastic.
Have it sitting flush within the plastic, paint it black.
Maybe swap the black plastic for yellow?

I'll see, there's a lot to do before this stage.... I'm tempted to finish the rest of the checklist before I attempt it.

Just to recap:
TO-DO=
-Adjust feet holes so the feet attach.
-cut and file the rad mounts for airflow
-file the pillars to make the rads less 'snug'
-cut and file the PSU hole.
-sand case
-Paint case
-Polish feet

Pfft it's a lot and I really don't want to get impatient with myself here and make a mistake :p
I 'Plan' on doing everything down to the painting prep tonight.... Hopefully the dremel holds out, I was given a couple cutting disks. They're all I've got before it's hack sawing the rest hahaha

Have it sitting flush within the plastic, paint it black.
Maybe swap the black plastic for yellow?

Pfft it's a lot and I really don't want to get impatient with myself here and make a mistake :p

Couldn't you mock up a 3d design to see how each one looks, and then decide? I mean, a yellow tray would look epic especially when the mobo is black, adds a bit of colour contrast I think. But it's your build, do what you think works best! :)

The worst thing you can do is get impatient and rush it man, take your time and it will all come together. :)

Couldn't you mock up a 3d design to see how each one looks, and then decide? I mean, a yellow tray would look epic especially when the mobo is black, adds a bit of colour contrast I think. But it's your build, do what you think works best! :)

The worst thing you can do is get impatient and rush it man, take your time and it will all come together. :)

I need to fix some design for the panels being cut so could be an Idea.

My partner's pulling the old "I forgot you were going to the workshop and I've started dinner" So it looks like tonight will be adjusting some holes for the feet to go on and then home....

I have a couple of things in mind I'll throw them all down and I dunno, have a vote or something
:P

Right,
So, I got the feet holes all lined up and feet on.
measured up some of my cuts to allow the PSU to fit and measured my metal for a Mobo tray.
Here's a wee Idea of what I might do:
nTbKitv.png
duzuWt4.png

Paint the metal mobo part yellow, to give a nice wee accent, and have the black plastic behind that. Opinions?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom