*** The Car Cleaning Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know about the website but it's definitely in store as I walked past the setup last week :p

The Nilfisk does come with a foam lance bit but it's a bit crap, better off buying a proper one!

Para, Karcher don't make them like they used to it seems.

What's the best model Nilfisk to go for? They are one of my suppliers so I can get it at cost, which lance to go for as well please?

Mucho grassy arse.

I have the C110 as do a few others here, I think they're all similar internally, just the highers are obviously more powerful. Saying that, the C110 can clean a paving slab that's never been cleaned so that's good I guess :p

As for snow foam lance, I can't remember where I got mine from but it was linked in this thread a while back, the lance with the red end, someone must have a link handy as I' don't to hand sadly. It was about £45.

Cleaned, clayed, polished, waxed the XF today

Mother of god. I forgot how much hard work it is, and not to mention the car is massive compared to my 1 series, which was the last time I did it. I will definitely not feel guilty eating my Easter egg today!

Dr Leather and Gliptone products seem to get rave reviews.

I currently use Autoglym Leather cleaner and care balm and that has been fine for me, smells good and seem to do the job! Pretty easy to use as well.

Just get the CYC lance. It's available with a nilfisk fitting, and as if by magic, is £45, just like mrk's :p

You can bag these for £25, if you go to a non detailing shop. I cant find the link just now but saw these up only last week. Exact same items.

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend me a good upholstery cleaner for my car seats? I have black seats, in my Ford Fiesta Titanium. They tend get water marks on them really easily and look shocking :eek:

I have wiped them over with a hot towelling cloth and they look fine until they dry again then and then look even worse :confused:

Thanks

Last edited:
Anyone recommend an alloy cleaner? I can't use a Meguirs spray bottle but you literally have to use a whole £10 bottle to clean 4x 18"!

Valet Pro Bilberry Wheel Cleaner.

I'm currently using it in a roughly 1:8 dilution with water, and it appears to be fantastic. For anything that remains stubborn on heavily soiled wheels, I find that CarPro Trix seems to lift it.

Obviously with the Bilberry, you'll need your own spray bottle (I reused an old Demon Wheels bottle).

I have the C110 as do a few others here, I think they're all similar internally, just the highers are obviously more powerful. Saying that, the C110 can clean a paving slab that's never been cleaned so that's good I guess :p

As for snow foam lance, I can't remember where I got mine from but it was linked in this thread a while back, the lance with the red end, someone must have a link handy as I' don't to hand sadly. It was about £45.

Just get the CYC lance. It's available with a nilfisk fitting, and as if by magic, is £45, just like mrk's :p

Cheers dudes :)

Check the bottle first for the smell, because although I like it, it may not be to everyones taste!

Got the stuff today, bloomin' expensive :p but very pleased with the results. It's amazing how much grime came off the seats with a thorough clean, they didn't even look dirty, so made it even more worth it.

One question though, the care balm, it says "massage into the leather until the creaminess disappears", yet every time I applied it, the creaminess was gone almost instantly, made me worry I was doing something wrong? :(:p still, despite all that it seemed to on and off ok, so hope it does its job :)

How long would you expect the following to take:

- Wash
- Clay
- Polish
- Wax

Trying to work out when I'll have time to do it. Car's an Octavia vRS, so it's fairly large.

Similar sized car, I'd say that a decent wash (including pre-wash) would take me about 1hr to 1hr30 depending on how dirty it was.

Claying again depends on just how many contaminants are left (first I'd give it a going over with something like Iron-X, or at a bare minimum Autoglym Intensive Tar Remover). But say another 1hr minimum (if you are going to do a once over with Tar Remover or similar, add another 30 to 45 mins).

Polishing will take the brunt of the time, depending on how you are doing it, a minimum of 2 hours I'd say, if not closer to 3 if you are giving ever panel a going over by hand. If you have a Rotary or DA then although you should be able to get the polishing done in a quicker timeframe, the prep work such as masking et al will eat back into the time you save. Obviously you should get better results with a machine.

Waxing should only take 45 mins to an 1hr15, with 30-45 mins to apply, 15 mins to cure, and about 15 mins to buff.

Add in another 30 mins to an hour to do other faffing around bits, like tyre dressing/plastics, and wheel sealing etc.

Got the stuff today, bloomin' expensive :p but very pleased with the results. It's amazing how much grime came off the seats with a thorough clean, they didn't even look dirty, so made it even more worth it.

One question though, the care balm, it says "massage into the leather until the creaminess disappears", yet every time I applied it, the creaminess was gone almost instantly, made me worry I was doing something wrong? :(:p still, despite all that it seemed to on and off ok, so hope it does its job :)

Good stuff :)

Make sure you shake the bottle and probably apply more to the cloth. Remember its designed to partially soak into the leather to keep it supple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom