*** The Car Cleaning Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

Is there a better alternative to what I currently use :

Autoglym Bottle Quality Bodywork Shampoo
Autoglym Super Resin Polish

It seems to work nicely but I'm sure there is better stuff out there? I usually just wash with the bodywork shampoo, dry with chamois, and put on the resin polish and buff it off.

Hi guys,

It seems to work nicely but I'm sure there is better stuff out there? I usually just wash with the bodywork shampoo, dry with chamois, and put on the resin polish and buff it off.

There's nothing wrong with those products. I prefer Auto Finesse Tripple as I find it easier to work in. You then need to wax/seal (Tripple has a light wax mixed in) otherwise you're hard work will be undone quickly.

Also don't use a chamois. Pat dry with a large drying towel. Check the ones out at i4detailing.

Hi guys,

Do you wax or seal on top of the polish mate ?

If not then that's the problem,you need to seal the polish in by using a wax otherwise the elements will slowly wear off your polish and all your hard work goes down the drain.

A decent sealant will last about 3 months or so, so you will just need to wash and dry for that time until the wax/sealant wears off.

I'd recommend finnish kare fk1000p. Last ages and very good product !

Edit: Beaten to it :)

Thanks for the info guys.

Oh dear, no I don't seal it! Was unaware of this, I thought it was a lot of work polishing and buffing to make it look good for a couple of weeks! Huge thanks for enlightening me.

I will take a look at that finnish kare fk1000p, where is the best place to purchase, and any other wax recommendations? Would rather not spend more than 15 if poss!

Cheers, can't believe I wasn't sealing after polish :(

Thanks for the info guys.

Oh dear, no I don't seal it! Was unaware of this, I thought it was a lot of work polishing and buffing to make it look good for a couple of weeks! Huge thanks for enlightening me.

I will take a look at that finnish kare fk1000p, where is the best place to purchase, and any other wax recommendations? Would rather not spend more than 15 if poss!

Cheers, can't believe I wasn't sealing after polish :(

look at i4detailing, cleanyourcar and polished bliss.

Fk1000p is good, Collinite 476s is a few pounds cheaper but nothing really significant. Both will last several months if you require some durability.

Excellent stuff, I might give that Serious Performance Ultra 1000P Hi-Temp Sealant a go if it comes with a free applicator.

So basically the process is AG Body Shampoo > Dry with a large drying towel > Apply super resin polish > Buff off > Apply wax/sealant > buff off.

Excellent stuff, I might give that Serious Performance Ultra 1000P Hi-Temp Sealant a go if it comes with a free applicator.

So basically the process is AG Body Shampoo > Dry with a large drying towel > Apply super resin polish > Buff off > Apply wax/sealant > buff off.

Drying towel:
http://www.seriousperformance.co.uk/Products,71,toView_554.html

Microfibre: http://www.seriousperformance.co.uk/Products,111,toView_621.html

You can also clay your car first you get rid of any contaminations on your body work, makes the panels feel as smooth as glass, you need to use lube with clay but there is a manufacturer called bilt hamber that makes clay that you use with water. I always used this and is very good. You clay twice a year

Info: http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4829

So I would wash, rinse, clay, wash, rinse, dry, polish, buff off, wax/seal, buff off

Also you are using the 2 bucket method when washing car and using a decent wash mitt? Normal sponges are a no no in this game!

Thanks for the links, I can see how it gets pricey quickly!

I think I do need to clay my car as the surface feels gritty in places. Yes I do use the 2 bucket method, but I don't have one of those grit guards. I use a microfibre noodle wash mitt.

How to you "remove" the clay?

Last edited:
Thanks for the links, I can see how it gets pricey quickly!

I think I do need to clay my car as the surface feels gritty in places. Yes I do use the 2 bucket method, but I don't have one of those grit guards. I use a microfibre noodle wash mitt.

How to you "remove" the clay?

heres a video mate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFyF169zXz0

the clay comes in one big lump, you should cut this up into smaller pieces as if you ever drop the clay on the floor (which will happen as it happens to us all) you dont use it again as it will hold grit from the floor and you will end up scratching your car, you just move onto fresh clay.

start claying, once you do a panel, fold the clay over once so you get a fresh surface then do it again, keep folding but never use both sides on the clay as you will not be able to fold to fresh surface if you get what i mean.

after you clay the car you just wash as normal, clay will strip all previous protection off car so this is why you only do it twice a year, after you clay its a good idea to polish and wax/seal but is worth it.

normally one or 2 small pieces should do the whole car, so you will have some left over, you can aso clay your windows (outside) and also alloys

well done for using 2BM and wash mitt, your half way there :)

the grit guards are not that important so should be ok without them.

Last edited:
Could anyone recommend some polishing pads for my rotary please? It'll be used on a BMW E46 so I understand the paint is stupid hard. I've used some hexlogic pads on my old E36 coupe which had decent results but I'm not sure what colours I should be using on the new one.

Thanks.

This is how my basket is looking:

Bilt Hamber - Auto Clay Regular (200g)
600ml Plastic Bottle with Sprayer ( to spray water for above)
Huge 38" x 28" Microfibre Drying Towel
Collinite 476S - Super Doublecoat Auto Wax
Foam Wax Applicator
Ultimate Ultra-Plush Buffing Cloth 16" x 16"

Can anyone think of anything else I would need? I already have a wash mitt and AG Body shampoo and AG Super resin polish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom