Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Don't think I have ever seen bird mess that hasn't been removed, either by jet spray or a wash mitt. Do you mean damage etched into the paint?

Well I'm sure most here are car enthusiasts that would wash their cars before bird crap was too difficult to remove. But in my case, I had driven somewhere and found a load of it mostly on the tailgate window and surrounding paint. It had really hardened and I struggled to get it off. The jetwash did it but I had to concentrate the spray very close which as far as I know isn't good for paint.

I read that soda water helps?

Associate
Well I'm sure most here are car enthusiasts that would wash their cars before bird crap was too difficult to remove. But in my case, I had driven somewhere and found a load of it mostly on the tailgate window and surrounding paint. It had really hardened and I struggled to get it off. The jetwash did it but I had to concentrate the spray very close which as far as I know isn't good for paint.

If it is really stubborn, bit of kitchen roll soaked in water placed over the crap for a few minutes. This should loosen it up and then jet wash will get it off easily.

Soldato

Soak it.

It's easier on horizontal panels however, you could try soaking a high pile microfibre cloth and lay it on it and let it soften it.

Soldato
After you guys talked about Bilt Hamber surfex-HD I thought I'd try it.

I'm highly impressed, my car was pretty dirty and plenty of bugs splattered over it which I wasn't looking forward to. I mixed the Surfex about 20:1 so very weak and was amazed at how the dirt was dripping off, bug splats came off very easy too, like they weren't even there.

I gave up with snow foam as my lances kept getting blocked and it didn't seem to clean as well as this stuff anyway.

Only trouble is I wish I got a bigger pump sprayer, I bought the Kwazar Venus Super Pro but it's only 1l, where 1.5l would have been better, means I have to top it up. Might just go all out and get a 5l sprayer, I can see me cleaning everything with this stuff.

Edit - would there be any point in using a foam sprayer, I could also add some snow foam solution so it foams up. This one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kwazar-Ven...ie=UTF8&qid=1530723416&sr=8-7&keywords=Kwazar

Soldato
Not saying you are but I wouldn't be using surfex hd every wash though as after all it's an APC/degreaser or whatever you want to call it, so depending on dilution you could be taking off any wax or sealants you have applied

Soldato
Yea I heard it can strip wax unless used very dilute, I read that 20:1 would be safe.

After I wash I dry and apply a mix of BSD and Bouncers Done & Dusted, this adds protection and it should bead nicely.

Also my car is a lease, I do look after it way more than your average person with a company car, but also it does a lot of miles, gets stone chips and gets dirty quickly, it's never going to stay in show room condition, but I do like to have a nice shiny car.

Associate
So how do you guys remove bird poop from paint that soap and mitts don't remove? Special liquid?

You don't want to be removing it without dissolving it first, the best i have used is Meguiar's bug and tar remover, Spray it on leave 5-10 minutes and it will just wipe away. Trust me it works living by the sea is a nightmare with seagulls.

Soldato
If it is really stubborn, bit of kitchen roll soaked in water placed over the crap for a few minutes. This should loosen it up and then jet wash will get it off easily.

You won't do any harm to paint with a "home" pressure washer and standard nozzle (commercial pressure washers or "tornado" nozzles can however cause damage)

Soak it. It's easier on horizontal panels however, you could try soaking a high pile microfibre cloth and lay it on it and let it soften it.

You don't want to be removing it without dissolving it first, the best i have used is Meguiar's bug and tar remover, Spray it on leave 5-10 minutes and it will just wipe away. Trust me it works living by the sea is a nightmare with seagulls.

Thanks chaps, now I know how to deal with it.
I think I have a small bottle of Autoglym tar remover which might work like the Meguiar. But anyway, if the jetwasher does no harm at point blank range, I can always do it that way again, its pretty quick. And I'll wash the car before it can go rock solid again.

Soldato
I just carry a quick detailer (or car soap in a bottle) and a microfiber and soak the poop and wipe away as soon as I see it.

For baked on stuff, wet paper towel on the poop for a short while and then same process with quick detailer and microfiber.

If you have some sort of product protecting your car (wax/sealant/whatever) don't forget to to top it up in the poop the place was as the acidity of the poop can strip it.

Associate
Wash went much better this week despite being too hot. Got a proper foam and hoze stayed on the jetwash. Would be much easier with an 8m pressure hose.

Alloys are my next area of concern, need a better brush or maybe use a stronger solution.

Soldato
Best system to clean the car using a service station jet wash? Obviously going to avoid their brush but likewise I want to avoid carting a ton of stuff with me.

2 buckets, preferably with lids, filled with water in one and your soap solution in the other. Chuck your mitt in the bucket before you leave. Drying towel and spare microfibres for any wax/sealant/trim colourant you may use. Wheel cleaning spray and a wheel brush.
When you get the service station wash, follow this procedure:

1) Pressure wash whole car thoroughly. They dont run at mega high pressures so dont be afraid to get in nice and close to wheels/arches.
2) If the service station has it, use their 'pre-rinse' - basically a crap snowfoam - and rinse off with pressure washer.
3) Spray wheel cleaner on and let it sit for a minute or two, then agitate with your brush and pressure wash off. The better the wheel cleaner (Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel I'm looking at you), the less agitation you have to do.
4) Use your buckets, following a 'two bucket method'
5) Rinse car for the final time
6) Dry it
7) Address wax/sealant/trim colourant if you have it.

I know you said you don't want to carry a lot of stuff around, but all the above will fit in 1 carrier bag, and even 10L buckets will be sufficient for a maintenance wash so wont take up a lot of space either. You can make them take up even less space by not filling them until you get to the service station (also avoiding need for lids), but seems a waste of money and time to use some of the minutes to fill buckets at the station.

Associate
If anyone wants a good shampoo but is not really interested in going over the top with cleaning their car i suggest Car-Lack 68 Shampoo. I had all the good car cleaning items when i had my ZS, when i got my KIA that was just to get me from A-B i went back to using Car-lack 68 shampoo.

Soldato
2 buckets, preferably with lids, filled with water in one and your soap solution in the other. Chuck your mitt in the bucket before you leave. Drying towel and spare microfibres for any wax/sealant/trim colourant you may use. Wheel cleaning spray and a wheel brush.
When you get the service station wash, follow this procedure:

1) Pressure wash whole car thoroughly. They dont run at mega high pressures so dont be afraid to get in nice and close to wheels/arches.
2) If the service station has it, use their 'pre-rinse' - basically a crap snowfoam - and rinse off with pressure washer.
3) Spray wheel cleaner on and let it sit for a minute or two, then agitate with your brush and pressure wash off. The better the wheel cleaner (Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel I'm looking at you), the less agitation you have to do.
4) Use your buckets, following a 'two bucket method'
5) Rinse car for the final time
6) Dry it
7) Address wax/sealant/trim colourant if you have it.

I know you said you don't want to carry a lot of stuff around, but all the above will fit in 1 carrier bag, and even 10L buckets will be sufficient for a maintenance wash so wont take up a lot of space either. You can make them take up even less space by not filling them until you get to the service station (also avoiding need for lids), but seems a waste of money and time to use some of the minutes to fill buckets at the station.

Thanks, but perhaps more effort than I had in mind. I'm not sure now that a service station jetwash is the best idea.

I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out a simple way to do it but there doesn't seem to be one, all the options involve a load of faff.

Soldato
Thanks, but perhaps more effort than I had in mind. I'm not sure now that a service station jetwash is the best idea.

I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out a simple way to do it but there doesn't seem to be one, all the options involve a load of faff.

Quickest way would be to buy a foam cannon and wash it at home. You can the rinse the car, use the foam cannon as a soaking treatment and apply your wheel cleaner, before rinsing that off. Then you use the foam cannon again, and take mitt or two (the more the better) to do your contact wash using the foam from the cannon as your soap. Once you've gone over the car just rinse it and dry it.

I do the same (but with a pressure washer that you don't want to buy) for my gfs car and it takes about 20mins total.

EDIT: Should clarify, foam cannon attaches to and runs off your garden hose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom