The cinema...WTF !!!

Soldato
WTF has happened to the cinemas, I remember the days when a student ticket cost £3.50. I went to Cineworld last night to watch Saw 3D and my ticket, 3D glasses, popcorn and coke came to £19 :eek:

I know the cinemas never been cheap but it's like walking into the Apple store, you know you're gonna get fisted but it still never quite prepares you for the shock :(

This has now got me realising why piracy is so rife if they charge such horrendous prices for a film that wasn't even that good.

/rant :mad:

MW

Associate
The prices do suck nowadays, I think not only 2years ago it was £4 a student ticket, now for an adult not at peak days its £8. And they have them trailers in the cinema saying 'thanks for buying your tickets and supporting the film', but you look round and the room is less than half full. Oh well

Soldato
It's not as simple as higher prices -> higher piracy.

If the people paying cheap prices are more likely to pirate anyway, then you can milk the remaining customers for what they're worth. Because even £5 tickets aren't going to bring those who pirate films back.

Soldato
OP
The 3D glasses made you look like Buddy Holly lol

reald3dglasses.jpg

MW

Associate
Was with my mate at the cinema recently and he was commenting on prices as well, in saying that it was for mostly the food as the cinema I go to is £5.50 for 2D or 3D. Film & food for a small family would certainly be an expensive enough night out though.

Soldato
OP
It's not as simple as higher prices -> higher piracy.

If the people paying cheap prices are more likely to pirate anyway, then you can milk the remaining customers for what they're worth. Because even £5 tickets aren't going to bring those who pirate films back.

If a go to the cinema more often at £5 a ticket i'm less likely to want to download it as how many people download a film they've already seen ?

I also like the way they actively stop you from bringing in food from outside

MW

Soldato
If a go to the cinema more often at £5 a ticket i'm less likely to want to download it as how many people download a film they've already seen ?

I also like the way they actively stop you from bringing in food from outside

MW

I think apart from the big films, film goers are actually a small group who go very often.

Big films are easy to milk and the regular film goers obviously like the cinema experience.

I think its fair to say, cinemas are doing what is currently maximising their profits. They'd prefer lower prices and more customers (more, as in enough to increase profits), but they've worked out through experience this isn't going to happen.

Associate
My eyes are messed up big style so I don't tend to go and see 3D films as the glasses don't sit comfortably and I have never seen the appeal.

Students tickets cost me 4.50 at Empire in Newcastle, which isn't too bad, along with popcorn and a drink for me and the Mrs to share an average film will cost about 15 quid for two, which is more than acceptable in my eyes.

Back
Top Bottom