The Crystal Maze Returns

FFS missed it. Can someone tell me when this repeats please. Thank you.

Virgin Media has it on thier TiVo catch-up and it's in 240p lol. Can't bear to watch anything less than 1080i.

You can watch it on http://ww.channel4.com . I have to warn you now, you'll need a very strong tolerance for loud, camp, attention seeking twazzocks. Well, one of them anyway. Thankfully, he gets locked in. Staggeringly irritating person.

Surprisingly (to me), Richard Ayoade was pretty poor as a presenter. I like him as a comic actor and I like him on gameshows as a contestant. But he's just so low-energy and meta-humour. All "did you believe that special effect?" and such and "the magic of editing". I don't think you can simultaneously be a good presenter and mock the thing you're presenting. Richard O'brien put in energy and went for it. He didn't have this shield of disdain that Ayoade did. O'brien did take the ****, but he was still on the side of the show.

Yeah I don't understand why they didn't let contestants gear up before entering, at least create the illusion of continuity. It's not like they didn't waste loads of time before games. I agree about lack of energy/enthusiasm even at the end he gave a half-****** "can we start the fans please". I didn't really understand the golden hand thing either does he not like touching people?

Richard Ayoade was pretty poor as a presenter. I like him as a comic actor and I like him on gameshows as a contestant. But he's just so low-energy and meta-humour. All "did you believe that special effect?" and such and "the magic of editing". I don't think you can simultaneously be a good presenter and mock the thing you're presenting. Richard O'brien put in energy and went for it. He didn't have this shield of disdain that Ayoade did. O'brien did take the ****, but he was still on the side of the show.

I loved Richard Ayoade in IT Crowd, but O'Brien left big shoes to fill. Think someone mentioned it earlier, his roleplay was fantastic, he didn't treat it as a gameshow.

Yeah I don't understand why they didn't let contestants gear up before entering, at least create the illusion of continuity. It's not like they didn't waste loads of time before games. I agree about lack of energy/enthusiasm even at the end he gave a half-****** "can we start the fans please". I didn't really understand the golden hand thing either does he not like touching people?

I can't even remember him saying "can we start the fans please" was it really that subtle?

It's mostly the same games as last week and a 5 year old would do them. Only 2 games in the first zone again due to all of the pointless talking.

Cancel the series it's an insult to the original.

Another celebrity special? *sigh*

I'm not sure who is more dense... Joey Essex or David Couthard. It's a close run thing....

Last edited:
It's so bad. The whole thing is just disgraces the original Crystal Maze.

Not sure where to start, the **** of a presenter to the lame games, to the poorly edited and put together sequences leading up to the games.

Keep coming back to the presenter, never cared for him in anything... the hand... what an unfunny ****.

good news but dont see the reason to do celebrity shows. Just have people off the street taking part.

--edit--

I see from the comments its not good news, I guess no surprise, modern shows tend to not be as good as shows in the 80s and early 90s.

It's mostly the same games as last week and a 5 year old would do them. Only 2 games in the first zone again due to all of the pointless talking.

Cancel the series it's an insult to the original.

It will always be 2 games in each zone now due to time limits, that has been announced. It's why the teams are also smaller.

We get celeb specials before the non celebs. I just hope Louie didn't make people turn off for good. It's a show that works better without celebs just doing it for themselves!

They have 3 games in zones 2-4 it's just that they waste so much time talking that they only have 2 games in the 1st zone. In the original series there was at least 3 games in every zone and often 4.

They've had pretty much the same games 2 weeks in a row and since contestants can no longer choose a game type I can't see it changing much from week to week unless they have a total revamp every few weeks, it just seems like they've not put anywhere near as much effort in as the original series.

1s5atb.jpg

I laughed quite a lot watching last night but there's still way too much time wasting talking (only 2 games in first zone still) and the games just seem really basic compared to the old series.

Back
Top Bottom