The current obsession with popping exhausts

Soldato
There's a couple of Abarth knocking round here and they pop and fart all the time.

Neither of my toy cars pop and bang. Both have HKS exhausts. Impreza has Silent Power and Evo has one piece titanium. Evo is louder but not too bad.

I get harassed by VAG cars in the Evo a lot. Way more than in the Impreza. They pop and fart and bang as they race passed looking smug. Even had a RR Sport hanging off the rear bumper and disappeared in a cloud of black smoke.

And I'm the one driving the slightly shouty 90s rally car :rolleyes:

I get that when I drive the Elise. The stereotypical VAGers seem to appear from thin air.

Man of Honour
Mercedes killed the sound of my car when they did a mid life update in 2019. It went from wild V8 noise machine I have, to purring kitten with some internal amplification on the facelift cars. My car also has the internal noise thingy, but open the windows and it's still loud and V8'y with some serious crackles and pops on overrun and change down. Part of the character of the car and I can make it less noisy should I wish by putting it in comfort mode. Cold start however is cold start, like all cars like mine it tends to be raucous for the first 90 seconds. My previous car was the same, opened up pipes etc.

Soldato
Mercedes killed the sound of my car when they did a mid life update in 2019. It went from wild V8 noise machine I have, to purring kitten with some internal amplification on the facelift cars. My car also has the internal noise thingy, but open the windows and it's still loud and V8'y with some serious crackles and pops on overrun and change down. Part of the character of the car and I can make it less noisy should I wish by putting it in comfort mode. Cold start however is cold start, like all cars like mine it tends to be raucous for the first 90 seconds. My previous car was the same, opened up pipes etc.
I think we all have cold start problems in the mornings. It gets worse with age too.

Associate
As a C63 owner, I'll be the first to admit they are a long way from the glory days of the NA V8, but they definitely aren't silent. They still sound fantastic, considering the PPF is in there now. I'd say it's still one of the best sounding V8s compared to other V8 cars with a PPF fitted.

Definitely agree, the cars are far from silent. Put them side by side with the pre-PPF cars and sure, you will notice a difference once warmed up. They have also mapped out some of the pops and bangs, the newer cars still make the noises but the intensity of them is massively reduced and you can't sit there in neutral constantly making it pop and bang, I'm happy to leave that to the 'look at me' gang like @Housey ;) Cold starts still seem to be obnoxiously loud though.

I do sometimes wish for a bit more noise but after living with the car for 2 years I wouldn't say the lack of noise has spoilt ownership.

Permabanned
Heh, was in Southend this weekend, Saturday night was exhaust popping and banging cruise night. The amount of sheds that had insane popping and banging was highly amusing, it was like an extended gun fight. :cry: (Should be noted there were also some fantastic cars there as well)

Associate
I get the odd burble or fart from my GTI occasionally which isn't bad but I see so many lads with rice krispie maps, excitedly revving their engine in traffic queues so they can get the snap crackle & pops for everyone to hear and appreciate

Caporegime
I dunno I mean, I think crackle maps are stupid, but I enjoy playing with the throttle on the overrun in the BMW to make it pop. So does that make me a crackle lover or just a hypocrite or neither? :p

Caporegime
I dunno I mean, I think crackle maps are stupid, but I enjoy playing with the throttle on the overrun in the BMW to make it pop. So does that make me a crackle lover or just a hypocrite or neither? :p

Naturally occurring burbling and such that occurs on overrun I'm fine with. It happens less frequently than the stupid popping and crackling and farting caused by modern maps on terrible small engined cars.

I love to hear the TT burble on overrun. I hated the upshift S Tronic farts on the S3. I'm undecided on the burbling on the 440i as I'm pretty sure they are engineered in (they don't happen in Eco Pro or Comfort, but do in Sport/Sport+), but they aren't obnoxiously loud.

Man of Honour
In C mode mine is fart less, but in sport mode it cracks and bangs on overrun and down changes and makes Housey smile so there. I do have loads of people wind there windows down when I come close mind, something you tend to get with a special car. I used to get it all the time with the Polo but that was usually to show they were bowing.

Back
Top Bottom