The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance | Netflix

FTM

FTM

Soldato
I loved the original and the skeksis were genuinely nasty...it was a dark scary movie for kids in 1982

the chamberlain in particular had a really whiny conniving voice

Associate
Once I've caught up with Peaky Blinders I'll give this a watch!!

Again i'll have to watch it on my own as the wife will not be interested, shes a wimp and wont watch anything that's not a romance :(

Man of Honour
Watched the original film last night and it was quite fun though the stupid ‘seer’ character annoyed the heck out of me. Was really unduly dark in places, particular when those Walker things died and nobody cared - harsh :p

Will give this a whirl although I’m confess I’m almost wanting to hate it following @Richdog ‘s gushing approval, after all his GOT series 8 hating :p (I may have got the wrong person, not sure - but this is obviously just a bantz post)

Soldato
Finished the series, it was rather good. Then watched the film and noticed a few differences but tbh nothing too bad. Overall it was top quality and in a way a bit better than the movie because the movie is very linear and doesnt explore as much as the series did, it just went from a to b then c very directly. But the series went all over and exposed much more of the world and history.

Theres a obvious gap between the end of s1 and the movie tho so there is a possibility for a s2 i think which would be cool but very sad if it does what i think it would due to the film history.

Associate
I'll probably check this out, have fond memories of this as another piece of 80's kid's entertainment that didn't pull any punches in terms of some scary puppets.

No doubt 80's kids entertainment had more scary/horror type elements to it than most modern kid's stuff it seems: Edited to allow for spoilers, yeah they're all 40 ish years old but still. Potential spoilers for Flash Gordon, Watership Down, Kes and The Neverending Story
from Peter Duncan putting his hand in that horrible thing in Flash Gordon, to throats being ripped in Watership Down, to poor Kes getting killed by the rotten older brother, to Atrieu's horse drowning in mud.

There was some fairly brutal kid's entertainment back in the 80's.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well I finished this the other day, and...

The only scene that left me feeling unsatisfied was that one where they had the battle at Stonewood. I just thought it was clumsily handled and found it silly that Rian and some of the others didn't at least try actively and intentionally kill the Skeksis who they know were draining them and were responsible for The Darkening.

I get that they had to keep the Skeksis alive to lead up to the event and eventual joining in the movie, but I still think that could have been handled a little more immersively.

I also got a bit annoyed by Seladons betrayal and turning against her family, seemed a bit irrational, but meh... that's Gelfling women for you. :D

And guys you MUST watch the "making of" documentary that follows the last episode on Netflix, because then you will see the crazy amount of work that went into this. It boggles the mind and I am now a Froud fan... https://www.netflix.com/ch-en/title/80238013

We are lucky to live in an age of such good fantasy TV. :)

Caporegime
Anyone watching this with their kids? good thing to try with my 9 and 11 year olds?

As magnificent as it is it's also dark and disturbing, nightmare material for many young kids I expect due to the puppetry. My friends kids refuse to watch it, but then kids are ********** nowadays. :D

My 13 year old thought it was awful.

Maybe you want to define what you mean by "awful". If they meant bad quality they are objectively wrong, if they meant disturbing then I can see why.

Soldato
On episode 7 now.
I had never seen the film as I find puppets a little disturbing (and clowns).

But blitzed through it Saturday and Sunday and really enjoyed it.

The acting is better than most stuff on TV these days...

Back
Top Bottom