The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance | Netflix

Associate
Loved the film as a kid and watched it numerous times over the years and now the series but.....

Mystics and Skeksis are one..... The 9 or 10 Mystics sacrifice themselves and the Skeksis all die so the land is left to the Gelfling. If they're "all wise" they may be willing to do this.
Or have a twisted plot where the Gelfing (being aware of the link) just kill the Mystics instead.:D:D

Soldato
Loved the film as a kid and watched it numerous times over the years and now the series but.....

Mystics and Skeksis are one..... The 9 or 10 Mystics sacrifice themselves and the Skeksis all die so the land is left to the Gelfling. If they're "all wise" they may be willing to do this.
Or have a twisted plot where the Gelfing (being aware of the link) just kill the Mystics instead.:D:D
That one Mystic, The Archer, was willing to die to kill his "dark half", but that doesn't mean the rest of them are. Their aim is to be reunited with the Skeksis, not kill them.

Looks like they're on course to tie up with the film, which is a bit depressing, since we know the Gelfling will be all-but-extinct by then. When Augrah died, I thought maybe they were going to do some alternate timeline thing, but they found a way to bring her back to life, so... yeah.

Soldato
What a fantastic show! I've just finished watching it and really enjoyed it. Bit of a sad ending as you know whats going to happen between then and the start of the film, but they couldn't have done it any other way. The puppets still looked as great as they did when I was a kid and the voice acting was awesome, especially SkekSil!

Last edited:
Caporegime
What a fantastic show! I've just finished watching it and really enjoyed it. Bit of a sad ending as you know whats going to happen between then and the start of the film, but they couldn't have done it any other way. The puppets still looked as great as they did when I was a kid and the voice acting was awesome, especially SkekTek!
Simon Pegg did an amazing job with Skeksil, truly outstanding. The rest were also well done although my two least favourites were the two Americans which were The Collector voiced by Awkwafina and The Gourmand voiced by Harvey Fierstein. Not because they are American of course, but because I just think the voices sucked and sounded out of place.

Soldato
Simon Pegg did an amazing job with Skeksil, truly outstanding. The rest were also well done although my two least favourites were the two Americans which were The Collector voiced by Awkwafina and The Gourmand voiced by Harvey Fierstein. Not because they are American of course, but because I just think the voices sucked and sounded out of place.

That was the one I meant, not SkekTek, got them mixed up. He really got the whiny noises spot on.

Soldato
After watching all the series followed by the original, I actually prefer the series, hopefully they can make more to fill in the gap between the resistance starting and it obviously failing. The animatronics or whatever it's called was absolutely perfectly done

Next up I'd like to see Henson company and Netflix visit the Never Ending Story world :)

Associate
I agree.
I think the series was better than the film. I watched the film straight after the series as a reminder what happened in that.

Associate
Damn, just found out that Netflix have pulled the plug on another season.

I can't find a definitive reason why, possibly cost, which seems a bit odd considering the hard work of creating the characters has already been done.

More likely it just didn't get the views needed to justify further expenditure. Such a shame it was a gorgeous looking show that offered something completely different.

Oh well back to Fraggle Rock I suppose.

Caporegime
Damn, just found out that Netflix have pulled the plug on another season.

I can't find a definitive reason why, possibly cost, which seems a bit odd considering the hard work of creating the characters has already been done.

More likely it just didn't get the views needed to justify further expenditure. Such a shame it was a gorgeous looking show that offered something completely different.

Oh well back to Fraggle Rock I suppose.
NETFLIX WHAT THE LIVING ****! I am not kidding when I say I am absolutely shocked and disappointed by this decision... it was one of the most unique and amazing things I have seen in the last decades. A thing of cinematic beauty and wonder that had no comparison in its genre.

Were viewing figures so bad? Did budgets get out of control? I want to see valid reasons from Netflix and we can only hope that it gets picked up by someone else. :(

Soldato
God damn you Netflix!
Thinking of canceling,how some of the rubbish gets renewed over this I'll never know.
Great show,was unsure at first but it was refreshing not to watch a cgi fest.
Great story/acting/characters.....

Bugger

Caporegime
https://www.insider.com/every-netflix-original-tv-show-canceled-list

Nearly 50 of them. And some absolutely great shows. The Punisher for example. Mindhunter. I am not okay with this. The dark crystal. Good shows, or shows that had promise and more that simply weren't given a chance. It's like if it doesn't meet some algorithmic requirement on their backend to make shareholders a certain amount of money, it gets canned. Some stuff was cancelled in a few months from it's premier. Some literally a month later. Gypsy premiered and was cancelled on the same day.

I can fathom no rhyme nor reason for it.

Oh. And 113 new shows for 2020, but we don't know what's up for the chopping block next... Netflix is the G.R.R Martin of TV shows. You never know what they're going to kill next.

Went through that list and was like "Umm, Bojack wasn't cancelled, it ended, and perfectly at that!" then I saw they just cancelled GLOW and now I'm fuming!

Commissario
Given how many shows Netflix has commissioned 46 being cancelled isn't terrible at least they all got full seasons, and several of those shows were cancelled after one season.
It looks like most of them were given several seasons and reached their natural end (Bloodlines for example), others may have been cancelled due to rights - IIRC the Marvel Shows all seemed to get cancelled at about the time Disney took over Fox and got the rights to pretty much all the main Marvel characters - I would also argue that at the very least two of the Netflix Marvel shows were terrible.

This year seems to have been especially bad for cancellations, but I suspect at least part of that will be that a number of those series cancelled were new (and it's not uncommon for a show to be cancelled after one season), whilst others may have been dropped because Covid has utterly messed up the filming schedules all over the world, which means that contracts for the actors may have run out of time (IE filming had to be done by X date) or the actors may now be contractually obligated to do other projects and unavailable.

Given how many US shows get cancelled by the networks every year, sometimes after only a handful of episodes have been completed, it's not terrible* and typically at least Netflix gives them a bit of a chance.

Having said all that, I'm disappointed at Mind Hunter and Age of Resistance, and to a lesser degree Glow (although I've only managed to watch about half a season of that so far).

*I remember about 10 years ago when it seemed every single pilot or interesting series I watched got cancelled after 1-6 episodes.

Back
Top Bottom