The deliveroo scam

Soldato
Was the card delivered recently? It is not unheard of for RM to clearly tell a card is in an envelope and pop it open, copy the details and put it in a new envelope.

Associate
if you got time complain to the financial ombudson not on the scam or anything but mainly as they said if it happens again doubtfull we will reimburse you. what a joke of a thing for a bank to say

Soldato
if you got time complain to the financial ombudson not on the scam or anything but mainly as they said if it happens again doubtfull we will reimburse you. what a joke of a thing for a bank to say
You have to go through the companies complaint process first, you can't go straight to the ombudsman they will just turn you away.

Also fraud wouldn't be a valid complaint as this would have happened regardless of which bank the OP was with, someone got there details somehow, through some means. Nothing to do with the bank directly.

Its more of a customer service failure and attitude of the adviser.

Soldato
Bit concerning, but more so the attitude of TSB.

I had an ISA with TSB for a short while, wasn't that much money in it, anyway I wanted to move the ISA to another bank which I had done in the past no problems.

Anyway, went to do the same with TSB but no...... They couldn't do anything other than let me take it as cash because I didn't have a current account with them.

So I had to take the cash several grand, walk in 50 yards to NatWest to pay it back in.

Wasn't even thatany years as ago, rubbish. I wouldn't even bank monopoly money with them.

Soldato
Anyone else have no idea how this could have happened given the details the OP has shared so far?

Card could have been compromised during delivery. Would be easy to take a photo of the front of the card and the back three numbers, and then be used several months later after it's been sold.

I'm with Halifax and you can freeze credit and debit cards - different types of transactions - tills/ATMs, app/online purchases, purchases abroad etc.

If it's a card you leave in the drawer, it's probably worth putting a permanent freeze on it until it's required.

Soldato
Would that stop all direct debits / standing orders? I know some banks have flags now which means they can't be used online.

I wouldn't have thought so, a direct debit is set up with a mandate, so you're giving a company permission to take X funds at whatever defined intervals, until you or they withdraw that mandate.

Associate
Definitely not a keylogger that card is not used anywhere and certainly not online. That account is pensions in, direct debits out occasional dump to a savings vehicle. All done by my wife who would rather write cheques than use her debit card. :) my card has never left the house since it arrived shiny new from the bank.

I have a seperate current account and card for online use from a different bank so there is a firewall airgap about 100 yards long along the high street.:D
It's possibly an inside job at the place that issues the cards since if memory serves a large number of card numbers were leaked by someone working on the inside who had access to that data.

Caporegime
I had an ISA with TSB for a short while, wasn't that much money in it, anyway I wanted to move the ISA to another bank which I had done in the past no problems.

Anyway, went to do the same with TSB but no...... They couldn't do anything other than let me take it as cash because I didn't have a current account with them.

So I had to take the cash several grand, walk in 50 yards to NatWest to pay it back in.

That's really naff of them as it then wastes some of your ISA allowance for that year, as soon as you cash out an ISA you lose the benefit of the tax-free wrapper and the new ISA then counts against your limit, when really this was savings you made in previous year(s) and should have already been ring-fenced.

I don't see why you need a current account - if they were to transfer from the ISA to your current account then you'd have the same issue re: the ISA allowance too, albeit without the inconvenience of having to carry cash.

They ought to allow an ISA to be transferred, AFAIK they are supposed to facilitate this and shouldn't have fobbed you off.

Associate
Had the same thing happen to my gf last night. A pending charge for £86 via deliveroo on her credit card. Phoned barclaycard who cancelled her card, and will be cancelling the transaction.

Permabanned
I had another transaction on my Lloyds for dominos last week. I reported it they cancelled the cards and had to send a new card out.

I tell you now that card did not leave my side so I have no idea how these people are getting numbers whoever is using them.

Soldato
I had free takeaway the other day via FoodHub. Delivery was supposed to be 45 mins but hadn't arrived after 2 hours so I contacted FoodHub and asked them to cancel order and refund me. They did and 1 min later the food arrived. Money went back on my card yesterday. Winner!

Permabanned
I had free takeaway the other day via FoodHub. Delivery was supposed to be 45 mins but hadn't arrived after 2 hours so I contacted FoodHub and asked them to cancel order and refund me. They did and 1 min later the food arrived. Money went back on my card yesterday. Winner!

Wonder how much money is lost to late deliveries and refunds per year. Free takeaway for Lee.

Soldato
Wonder how much money is lost to late deliveries and refunds per year. Free takeaway for Lee.
Given the insane margins I doubt anyone is losing sleep over a few "extremely happy" Customers getting refunds. I went through a phase of ordering expensive pizza from a local wood fired Italian pizza shop, literally every time it came battered - but still totally edible. I complained each time, and each time received a full refund!

Soldato
These gold mine back street takeaway places might not be losing any sleep over a few refunds/free food, but if you take a dodgy kebab back they will argue with you all night instead of refunding or replacing it unlike any proper establishment.

Back
Top Bottom