The Dell 3008WFP Thread

Associate
HI everyone

I might have a solution for this Dell 3008wfp problem.

Right firstly, I know many of you have basically been using DVI-I socket 1 then changing to DVI socket 2 and then after all that, ringing up Dell for a swap. Well I believe its NOT A DELL FAULT, its the useless Nvidias!!!!

I begin my story.......I bought a Dell 3008wfp and guess what??? no high resolution no signal etc(unless in safe mode or HDMI)....I ring them up..they replace it....it works...GREAT.......

Now..I previous owned a Dell 3007wfp with no problems at all..so being the smug git with my working Dell 3008wfp...I think, ok time to sell..take some pictures......plug it back into my computer for a live monitor picture..and guess what!!!...yes you got it!!! no signal...and this is on my Dell 3007wfp which never had an issue before now. So I unplugged it and put my new working Dell 3008 and now it doesnt work either :( being annoyed as I am....i think, if this was an Dell issue it would have happened well before this...plus it seemed when i start swapping around the new Dell it has problems. I believe this issue is down to Nvidias crappy drivers, it doesnt know how to cope with Dells NEW monitor technology, especially as this offers loads of optional sockets and HD aswell.

So, how did i get my Dell 3008wfp working again....well firstly..i used my hdmi cable with the DVI adapter so that I could firstly get on my computer, I also used safe mode and downgraded or alternatively reinstall the same driver (this will reset all Nvidias crappy fucntions like the EDID). Once it says you have to restart, press no and shut down completely. Change the HDMI cable back to the DVI cable in socket 1, turn on the monitor first and press power....and for me at least...its back to normal and running nice 2560 by 1600.

Now i know your thinking I dont want to be doing that everytime or maybe every week...etc etc..whenever it buggers up! But i would suggest everyone to write an email to NVidia to pull their finger out of their lazy arses!!!!

Hope this Helped, tell me if it doesn't work for you!!!!

rpws1

Associate
OP
Any idea how this compares to an apple 30" cinema display?

It's got better specs in almost every area, it's cheaper, and has every connection type on it your'd ever want. Dont waste money on over priced yet inferior Apple hardware.

Last edited:
Associate
It's got better specs in almost every area, it's cheaper, and has every connection type on it your'd ever want. Dont waste money on over priced yet inferior Apple hardware.

It may have better spec than the Apple one but you can be sure the apple one doesnt suffer the issues reported here.

I am an apple user but i would only now buy Dell screens, the displays are far better but there QC is just poor.

Waiting for the price to drop on these 3008's

Associate
OP
Waiting for the price to drop on these 3008's

These screens have been out since late 07, there must atleast be a new 30" Dell in the works by now as it's getting near to two years.
Was going to get another one of these but now i might aswell just wait for the 3009 or whatever it's called, or see what else is released before year end.

Associate
These screens have been out since late 07, there must atleast be a new 30" Dell in the works by now as it's getting near to two years.
Was going to get another one of these but now i might aswell just wait for the 3009 or whatever it's called, or see what else is released before year end.

Yeah i agree, and the apple one is looking long in the tooth as well, what i have found is the build quality of the apple screens is 100% better than dell, my 23 inch screen is pretty robust compared to the 20 inch dell i have.

30" screen would like 2 of them for photo editing :))

Associate
Hey fello 3008WFP owners. Found a possible fix to our DVI-D port and power save issues. Looks like the EDID (the flash ram bit) of the DVI-D ports are getting corrupted. And if your brave enough to have a go yourself, you can flash them right again. Check out Fusion22's posts in particular:

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19249766.aspx?PageIndex=8

I'm gonna wait until I see a few more 'that was easy and it fixed my problem' type posts myself but I thought I'd share the love. Personally if I can avoid sending my panel back to Dell I will. I don't want someone else's refurb covered in dead pixels.

Mud

Mud

Soldato
Just got mine...oh god, how are you guys living with the stand? It's terrible...the screen is about 2 degrees off straight and it bounces and nods as I type or move the mouse :|

I've got a 2007FP on a Kensington 60107 rigidly attached to the same desk, and it doesn't move at all.

Mud

Mud

Soldato
I finally managed to source a Sanus MD103 to replace the dodgy stock stand on my 3008WFP. This stand has locked my screen to the desk, leaving any residual wobble fully the desk's fault (woo, maybe now I can use my steering wheel again!). The stand was a slight pain to install (would've been much easier with an assistant), especially since it requires spacers with this screen. The stand is solid and lacks fripperies. I'm happier with the 3008WFP as a result of this stand.

Back
Top Bottom